Prospect Info: 100 OA - RW Alexander Rykov (Chelmet VHL)

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

Agile and deceptive, Rykov can turn on a dime and contort his body to shift around opponents off the rush. He moves and passes with purpose; he draws defenders to him with lateral cuts and then drops the puck to teammates inside space. On top of his rush skills, he also possesses small-area abilities. He can shield the puck on the walls with a combination of edge and stickhandling work and slip the puck through defenders to teammates in the middle of the offensive zone before repositioning to support the next play. -EliteProspects 2023 NHL Draft Guide

Split time between 3 teams last year, only playing a total of 29 games.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA

Agile and deceptive, Rykov can turn on a dime and contort his body to shift around opponents off the rush. He moves and passes with purpose; he draws defenders to him with lateral cuts and then drops the puck to teammates inside space. On top of his rush skills, he also possesses small-area abilities. He can shield the puck on the walls with a combination of edge and stickhandling work and slip the puck through defenders to teammates in the middle of the offensive zone before repositioning to support the next play. -EliteProspects 2023 NHL Draft Guide

Split time between 3 teams last year, only playing a total of 29 games.

This is better than me trying to copy/paste. Thanks! :laugh:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
was ranked 28 by Hockeyprospect (Black Book). A bit of info there:
He is a finesse forward who can occasionally blend power forward elements into his game and when he’s aggressively attacking, and that’s the multi-dimensional offensive element that made him difficult to deal with.

Rykov will use beautiful angular dekes that are set up by an exaggerated postural fake before using an abrupt weight transfer and attacking aggressively on a different angle. He can manipulate the defense with his skating plays to a degree that few players can thanks to his athleticism, and he’s capable of driving both on his forehand and on his backhand.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
hundred-points_1f4af.png

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
On a Hockey Prospect Radio segment on NHL Radio one guy said this was the best pick of the draft. Uber skilled but was injured in his draft year.. fwiw.
Rykov and Perron are 2 of the '23 picks from the TDA trade. Plus Forsmark in '22. This trade tree might be epic considering all factors. And wait til we see how how high this '24 2nd might be.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I like these sort of Russia-stash picks. They don't take ELC slots, meaning that you can mass-draft them without any worries about a Wolves situation or getting contract-capped, and you just never know if you get a gem somewhere, especially with some teams being a bit fearful of drafting Russians at the moment due to geopolitics.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I like these sort of Russia-stash picks. They don't take ELC slots, meaning that you can mass-draft them without any worries about a Wolves situation or getting contract-capped, and you just never know if you get a gem somewhere, especially with some teams being a bit fearful of drafting Russians at the moment due to geopolitics.
Someone (maybe @bleedgreen ) speculated back at the draft that by drafting a number of Russians and NCAA guys was partially for this reasoning as well.

In the last draft, it was:
NCAA: Nadeau (Maine), Perron (UND), Legault (Quin), Emerson (UND)
RUSSIA/KHL: Rykov, Yarovoi, Khazheyev, Mukhanov, Valmakin
SWE: Unger-Sorem (only one signed to an ELC).

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Someone (maybe @bleedgreen ) speculated back at the draft that by drafting a number of Russians and NCAA guys was partially for this reasoning as well.

In the last draft, it was:
NCAA: Nadeau (Maine), Perron (UND), Legault (Quin), Emerson (UND)
RUSSIA/KHL: Rykov, Yarovoi, Khazheyev, Mukhanov, Valmakin
SWE: Unger-Sorem (only one signed to an ELC).
Yeah I was thinking about that after processing the draft in the days after. Generally speaking for any team It’s a good plan for a few prospects….but ALL of them? That’s an intentional pattern imo and to me the team accepting/planning/creating their player development model. I get it for the short term plan and sure we can pat ourselves on the back for mining deep into Russia when everyone else is letting good potential prospects go but it’s still just throwing darts and intentionally throwing them at a smaller board.

I’m sure there were decent NA prospects we avoided doing this. Dovetails into my struggles with our our drafting in general. We need a steady flow of Lorentz types as much (maybe more) as we need an under sized euro to occasionally work out. This year felt like more of an intentional avoidance of players who aren’t from where we need them to be than in the past, though we’ve been leaning strong in similar directions pretty much the whole time under the current regime.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
We need a steady flow of Lorentz types as much (maybe more) as we need an under sized euro to occasionally work out.

Why?

The whole point of this strategy is that replacement level players who play a strong possession/hustle game are relatively easy to acquire, and players with unique skill sets are relatively hard to acquire.

Because this org excels at getting better than replacement level play out of replacement level players, it stands to reason that none of the drafting focus should be spent on acquiring common assets, and all of the drafting focus should be spent on acquiring rare assets.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Why?

The whole point of this strategy is that replacement level players who play a strong possession/hustle game are relatively easy to acquire, and players with unique skill sets are relatively hard to acquire.

Because this org excels at getting better than replacement level play out of replacement level players, it stands to reason that none of the drafting focus should be spent on acquiring common assets, and all of the drafting focus should be spent on acquiring rare assets.

This and this.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad