10 years. Time is up Shanahan.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
This fan base doesn't deserve a rebuild and never did. I'm sure MLSE reads online sentiment to assess fan interest that would help maximize sales and when every thread is people going ape shit insane at the idea of signing any ufa that becomes available it's natural they'll push management to pursue it.
I certainly hope the fans who called for a complete teardown and rebuild are happy, because I guarantee the result of this once management is broomed out is that if the next guy suggests a complete teardown, he's fired. This will NEVER happen here again unless the team bottoms out naturally.

The message the board IS going to take from this is abusing the free agent market brought them more success than tanking.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I certainly hope the fans who called for a complete teardown and rebuild are happy, because I guarantee the result of this once management is broomed out is that if the next guy suggests a complete teardown, he's fired. This will NEVER happen here again unless the team bottoms out naturally.

The message the board IS going to take from this is abusing the free agent market brought them more success than tanking.

They had some unintentional tanking years where they got Nylander and Marner, tanked fully 1 year and got Matthews. I am sure they were sold out or pretty close anyway during the tank year so no financial hit and then they made the playoffs every year after the 1 tank year which was extra playoff revenue.

I don't think a rebuild is a difficult sell at all, pick better managers, coaches and players, we did well in the draft but the mix of players isn't right and Dubas never pivoted off the vision he had.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015

Tear down will happen once Marner/Nylander/Matthews age out or when Matthews finally bails on this team for a contender.

Reactions: Al14

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
It was literally the Dubas hiring that destroyed this teams chances. Anything short of game 6 ECF and Shanny + Keefe both need to be fired.
It was dubas mixed with a bunch of stuff tbh

COVID cap impacts screwing us over even more

Marleau signings impact fron Lou just on culture (a proven loser brought in to be a vet lool)

Bad trades from Dubas (kadri deal the worst)

Amirov tragic passing

Injuries to a guy like Andreas Johnsson who looked poised to be very good for us, same with Trevor Moore, if not injured he produces here and is likely kept

Tavares signing and tragic early decline

Sandin and Lilijgren not being capable like we thought and had pegged them to be

Bad RFA negotiations with the big 3 guys after Tavares signing

Andersen getting injured/and having to be moved on from while we see him becoming a good playoff goalie now in Carolina with a good defensw (sucks b/c our defense best 3 years he only played 2021 and he was injured/checked out most of that year)

So many reasons for the failures we have seen but its mostly the big group of managment leader guys (Babcock + Keefe, Hunter + Lou, Dubas, & Shanny) who all cost us 1 way or another

Aug 3, 2021
Me reading this thread:

334864.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Jmo89 and TMLife17

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Tear down will happen once Marner/Nylander/Matthews age out or when Matthews finally bails on this team for a contender.
How can you justify giving Marner a raise if the team flames out in round 1 again? That’s insanity. Can’t the franchise go in a different direction? You have to make some tough decisions. Or the drought will go on for another 50 years. Not impressed anymore with regular season accomplishments. I hope more and more fans become that way and not gobble up the product like gullible fools.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
If as a fan you really care about this team and want them to win, then just hope they get beat by Boston quickly.
Only then is there any real chance for real change, and that probably starts with Shanahan & Keefe being given the boot. With them still employed here, there's no real hope of success in the Matthews era.

I get that this series is not over, and of course the Leafs can come back and win it, but there's nothing we've seen in any year, including this one, to indicate they are capable of anything beyond that. It's just up to this group to prove it to ownership (yet again, apparently MLSE are slow learners) and thanks to another opening game flop on Saturday, they're on their way to doing just that.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
How can you justify giving Marner a raise if the team flames out in round 1 again? That’s insanity. Can’t the franchise go in a different direction? You have to make some tough decisions. Or the drought will go on for another 50 years. Not impressed anymore with regular season accomplishments. I hope more and more fans become that way and not gobble up the product like gullible fools.
agreed if we lose, you cannot resign Marner. You have to move on from him and I love Marner but something has to change

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

The is feels like a big stretch, especially since our true teardown was 1 year and it returned 8 straight playoffs.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Didn’t take Vegas long to go from nothing to cup champions, just need the right architect……..

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
agreed if we lose, you cannot resign Marner. You have to move on from him and I love Marner but something has to change
the something that has to change is getting rid of Tavares not Marner

i get why people are upset but Marner has the exact same nmc as JT so if it's impossible to move Johnny then the same holds true for Marner and letting a close to 100pt play driving winger who is also great defensively walk doesn't help the team

the only way to improve the team is to sit JT down and explain you won't be offered an extension at any price including league min so if you don't want to waive your nmc because you don't want to move then you can play out your last year and retire

until he's off our cap and off the team we'll be just spinning our wheels

Last edited:

horner

May 22, 2007
I am getting tired of reading “fire Keefe” or “Dubas signed those deals” etc etc.

Shanahan hired all these guys and signed off on every contract, trade, and signing. He has had 10 years and hasn’t taken us anywhere one of us HFers couldn’t.

It’s time to move on. Start from the top (or as high up as we can go) and instil an identity in this franchise.

Fire Shanahan. I don’t care who has hurt feelings.

Every single fan just wants to win a cup and I don’t feel like anyone in management or on the team apart from a couple guys gives two f’s about a cup.
I agree

How could someone f*** up having one of the greatest goal scorers besides ovi in nhl history. But he did.
He had one of the greatest passers in the game.
He had a playervthat could fly like the wind and score.

The he let a rookie GM and Coach look after these prime assets .
Mmmmmm what could go wrong

Yes shanny don't walk out the door run .

Reactions: TMLife17

horner

May 22, 2007
the something that has to change is getting rid of Tavares not Marner

i get why people are upset but Marner has the exact same nmc as JT so if it's impossible to move Johnny then the same holds true for Marner and letting a close to 100pt play driving winger who is also great defensively walk doesn't help the team

the only way to improve the team is to sit JT down and explain you won't be offered an extension at any price including league min so if you don't want to waive your nmc because you don't want to move then you can play out your last year and retire

until he's off our cap and off the team we'll be just spinning our wheelsach that has managent
A new coach needs to have the backing of the gm to do whatever is necessary to straighten out our players and new system .
Marner still make junior plays especially on the playoffs the same with Willy

We are a turnover machine this needs to stop.

If the new coach needs to bench players that so be it that includes any player top to bottom

Rick Tocchet would have been a great choice

Last edited:

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
A new coach needs to have the backing of the gm to do whatever is necessary to straighten out our players and new system .
Marner still make junior plays especially on the playoffs the same with Willy

We are a turnover machine this needs to stop.

If the new coach needs to bench players that so be it that includes any player top to bottom

Rick Tocchet would have been a great choice
I agree but it's easier said then done . Torts didn't dress a few vets including his recently named Captain and the team quit on him and missed the playoffs .

it's much easier and more productive to play players how they deserved to be used instead of gifting mins based on salary and Keefe continually trying to build a line around Tavares is killing this team

Willie and Mitch are elite play drivers and the only other one we have albeit at a lower level is Domi so it's natural that they'd turn the puck over more than guys to don't carry the puck as much

horner

May 22, 2007
I agree but it's easier said then done . Torts didn't dress a few vets including his recently named Captain and the team quit on him and missed the playoffs .

it's much easier and more productive to play players how they deserved to be used instead of gifting mins based on salary and Keefe continually trying to build a line around Tavares is killing this team

Willie and Mitch are elite play drivers and the only other one we have albeit at a lower level is Domi so it's natural that they'd turn the puck over more than guys to don't carry the puck as much
I didn't say torts

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I didn't say torts
i know . i just gave a recent example of what could happen when you start benching your top end guys

and it's not that disagree with you , i'm just saying todays players are much more sensitive

horner

May 22, 2007
i know . i just gave a recent example of what could happen when you start benching your top end guys

and it's not that disagree with you , i'm just saying todays players are much more sensitive
Then maybe they aren't team players .
Only a team wins a cup.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019

well that seemed to be the consensus over here but the consensus over here was also to go fan boying every time some famous player was potentially about to hit the market. The fans who wanted a proper rebuild all the way through never got what they wanted. Leafs fans just never learn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad