10 years. Time is up Shanahan.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Well then, our Leafs, and the Core 5, better start performing game by game. Because, winning the Stanley Cup actually requires qualifying for the playoffs.

If our Leafs are playing possum, they are playing with fire. They better turn it on soon, and not continue to slip in the standings.

If I remember correctly, didn't our 1967 Cup winning Leafs lose 10 games in a row in the 1966-67 season?
Which put Punch Imlach in the hospital and King Clancy stepped in and turned the team around. Who’s todays King Clancy because now would be a good time for him to step forward.

Reactions: Al14

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
And thanks to the reactions of this f***ing fanbase to the entire thing over the last 20 years, it will NEVER happen again, except by accident. Guarantee the message the board is taking from this is tank rebuilds don't work in Toronto. So once everyone's fired we'll probably be going back to trying to rebuild through free agency, which no longer works under the cap.
Tanks work if you have no talent with NMCs. That ship sailed and it has nothing to do with the fans. A competent management team could rebuild this team on the fly around 8-10 players on the roster now.

Clyde Brewer

Oct 15, 2021
No he didn’t. They needed to bring in tougher players so he didn’t have to take on the entire Bruins team on his own. He was the only Leaf that showed any guts in those series. Signing JT for $11M when they already had a 30 goal 2C in Kadri at $6.5M less was the franchise changing mistake that derailed the Shanaplan.

Completely agree, although I think Kadri was signed for $4.5 million- even cheaper!

Reactions: Moonman

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
No he didn’t. They needed to bring in tougher players so he didn’t have to take on the entire Bruins team on his own. He was the only Leaf that showed any guts in those series. Signing JT for $11M when they already had a 30 goal 2C in Kadri at $6.5M less was the franchise changing mistake that derailed the Shanaplan.
I said it when they signed him it was a massive miscalculation. All of my friends said I was an idiot. Funny how things work out.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I said it when they signed him it was a massive miscalculation. All of my friends said I was an idiot. Funny how things work out.
I don’t think signing JT was a mistake despite how I want him gone since last year.
Mistakes came after that.
1. Didnt resign Hanisy
2. Should had bridge both Willie and MM
3. Should had trade AJ after that year instead of renewing him. As Dubas could had a mid to late first for AJ that summer.
4. Should had done a better job with Kadri or Kadri’s trade
5. Fire Keefe after the Habs series
List goes on.

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
I don’t think signing JT was a mistake despite how I want him gone since last year.
1. Didnt resign Hanisy
3. Should had trade AJ after that year instead of renewing him. As Dubas could had a mid to late first for AJ that summer.
List goes on.eta
It tied up a huge amount of cap in a position we didn’t need filled.

Reactions: Ports

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm reading a book about organizational behavior and the author comments that it's not a good idea to hire based on talent rather than skill. They provided examples on how Enron did this and talented people promoted too early because of their high education made huge mistakes costing the company millions.

Immediately this reminded me of what Shanahan did. He let the most experienced (skilled) NHL GM in the world go, in favor of talent. I recall Dubas said he was frightened to go to his first GM meeting and Shanahan told him basically to just say nothing and take notes. Which is an indication just how green Dubas was.

Anyways, Dubas did just as the Enron employees did.... He made big mistakes, costing the Leafs enormously. One being that he himself hired a coach based on Talent and not skill.

Shanahan deserves to go for this idiocy.

Well, the talent vs hard work dichotomy is also supposedly a key concept instilling resiliency in children. A kid who is naturally talented can achieve great things and have results but you want to encourage their effort by emphasizing the fact that they worked hard to achieve.

Typically championship teams don’t talk about the belief in their own talent and skill level the way Toronto has. They emphasize the process, put on that faux blue collar mentality. Because ultimately the skill is the skill but working hard means you have a way to apply it consistently.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
1. Didnt resign Hanisy
List goes on.

There are a lot of alternative scenarios where we could have managed the talent in the organization better. Anyway, backing up and continuing along as to avoid this rabbit hole.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
To me his heart isn’t in it. Does he even live in Toronto? Compare him to Presidents like Cam Neely and Jim Rutherford and many more who are heavily invested in their team. He had no experience in managing any level of hockey team and was given the keys to the most high profile team in hockey by another inexperienced hockey executive. He reputation around former players is he’s not a good teammate and a backstabber. To me he’s just another suit on the MLSE board who brings little to the table and only survives because apparently Larry Tanenbaum likes him. Hopefully Keith Pelley doesn’t and has the clout to fire him and hire the best person available for the job.
Hopefully your right and Pelley fires his ass, I mean the guy lives in New York City for God’s sake……..

Reactions: Ports

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Well, the talent vs hard work dichotomy is also supposedly a key concept instilling resiliency in children. A kid who is naturally talented can achieve great things and have results but you want to encourage their effort by emphasizing the fact that they worked hard to achieve.

Typically championship teams don’t talk about the belief in their own talent and skill level the way Toronto has. They emphasize the process, put on that faux blue collar mentality. Because ultimately the skill is the skill but working hard means you have a way to apply it consistently.
Totally agree... I knew we were in very very big trouble when both Matthews and Marner cited Keefes very first message as their head coach "Play to your god given talent". Which interestingly, focusing on talent and less on systems, skill and experience is what this article explained was in part led to the downfall of Enron.

The broader failing of McKinsey and its acolytes at Enron is their assumption that an organization’s intelligence is simply a function of the intelligence of its employees. They believe in stars, because they don’t believe in systems. In a way, that’s understandable, because our lives are so obviously enriched by individual brilliance. Groups don’t write great novels, and a committee didn’t come up with the theory of relativity. But companies work by different rules. They don’t just create; they execute and compete and coördinate the efforts of many different people, and the organizations that are most successful at that task are the ones where the system is the star.
As you've said, leafs are always talking about their stars but rarely do they praise their system.
...Once at Enron, the top performers were rewarded inordinately, and promoted without regard for seniority or experience. Enron was a star system. “The only thing that differentiates Enron from our competitors is our people, our talent,” Lay, Enron’s former chairman and C.E.O., told the McKinsey consultants when they came to the company’s headquarters, in Houston. Or, as another senior Enron executive put it to Richard Foster, a McKinsey partner who celebrated Enron in his 2001 book, “Creative Destruction,” “We hire very smart people and we pay them more than they think they are worth.”
Marner given a contract essentially better (given the shorter term) than 27 year old, former captain, two time hart finalist, and former first overall draft pick, UFA center John Tavares. Nylander, Matthews getting contracts paid more than their comparables and without playoff results. Marner given an A before earning it.

People deemed “talented” were constantly being pushed into new jobs and given new challenges
Mitch Marner... Playing PK and even tried on Defense!  Nylander now on PK.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Totally agree... I knew we were in very very big trouble when both Matthews and Marner cited Keefes very first message as their head coach "Play to your god given talent". Which interestingly, focusing on talent and less on systems, skill and experience is what this article explained was in part led to the downfall of Enron.

The broader failing of McKinsey and its acolytes at Enron is their assumption that an organization’s intelligence is simply a function of the intelligence of its employees. They believe in stars, because they don’t believe in systems. In a way, that’s understandable, because our lives are so obviously enriched by individual brilliance. Groups don’t write great novels, and a committee didn’t come up with the theory of relativity. But companies work by different rules. They don’t just create; they execute and compete and coördinate the efforts of many different people, and the organizations that are most successful at that task are the ones where the system is the star.
As you've said, leafs are always talking about their stars but rarely do they praise their system.
...Once at Enron, the top performers were rewarded inordinately, and promoted without regard for seniority or experience. Enron was a star system. “The only thing that differentiates Enron from our competitors is our people, our talent,” Lay, Enron’s former chairman and C.E.O., told the McKinsey consultants when they came to the company’s headquarters, in Houston. Or, as another senior Enron executive put it to Richard Foster, a McKinsey partner who celebrated Enron in his 2001 book, “Creative Destruction,” “We hire very smart people and we pay them more than they think they are worth.”
Marner given a contract essentially better (given the shorter term) than 27 year old, former captain, two time hart finalist, and former first overall draft pick, UFA center John Tavares. Nylander, Matthews getting contracts paid more than their comparables and without playoff results. Marner given an A before earning it.

People deemed “talented” were constantly being pushed into new jobs and given new challenges
Mitch Marner... Playing PK and even tried on Defense!  Nylander now on PK.

Oh yeah that’s right, Malcolm Gladwell.

Relating to hockey, ultimate success comes when you take those talents and you put them into a system that can get more juice through repetitive and replicable processes. For example you don’t need to completely improvise every powerplay and have an uncoordinated ballet of sublime talent when your stars hit their marks and just crank out scoring chances. Just one example.

Reactions: Antropovsky

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
There are a lot of alternative scenarios where we could have managed the talent in the organization better. Anyway, backing up and continuing along as to avoid this rabbit hole.
That’s why I don’t really like what if….
We could go back to the year where the Leafs tanked but somehow Bozak had that 3-4games stretch where he was amazing and scored a 1st period hat trick. If he didn’t done that, Leafs would lose more points thus finishing lower than Oilers and getting McD.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Treliving was an out of ideas hire for Shanahan. His time is up and he knows it. He's showing it

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
Dubas crippled this team for its entire window with his godawful contract negotiations on guys who were RFA’s and Shanahan signed off on it. They’ve been doubling down for more than half a decade with zero results and at this point, I want them to crash and burn so they try something new because this is not working. It’s literally the definition of insanity to keep trying.

Steamy Ray Vaughn

Mar 14, 2022
I 100% agree it's time for Shanahan to hit the bricks. He was only hired because of who he was as a player, he had no real experience in an NHL club to warrant running hockey operations. If you want to hire him in a ceremonial role and have him do PR, fine.

I would say I liked, but didn't love Dubas. I'd give him a B. Pretty good but nowhere near great. I understand the Tavares signing at the time it was done. Here was a top UFA that was willing to come to Toronto and was not over the hill. Dubas' biggest mistake by far was the Kadri trade. Not because he traded Kadri, but because of what he got in return. Kerfoot never really panned out as a center, and it was never going to work for Barrie. He was not what the Leafs needed at the time. The Tavares signing ended up hurting the Leafs big time in retrospect for sure but you can't force them to sign a contract.

Dubas did some good moves like getting Campbell and Muzzin. I think taking a bet on Murray was a good move given they got him for literally nothing and didn't commit to the 5x5 Edmonton ended up giving Campbell. Murray was a bust but he's gone at the end of the year. Samsonov had a good year and although he fell off this season, it's not like he's signed long term.

As for the contract extensions, I think there's only so much GMs can do even with RFA. Yes, you can always hold out and make them sweat but then you're risking pissing them off and losing them. So all in all, Dubas was OK. When Shanahan announced the he wasn't giving Dubas a new contract, I wasn't opposed. It made sense, Dubas' tenure had been marked by failure and he wasn't able to get the team past the hump. He gave up way too many picks for not enough success.

But to me if you're letting your GM go, then you want a new vision and you bring in someone to give them a chance to make the team over. Sheldon Keefe was in his last year of his contract, a new GM just got hired, wouldn't it make sense to let the season play out and see how it goes? Refusing to even consider trading one of the Core 4 and announcing it the world was also dumb. I love Nylander and I think the deal he got was fair value, but the problem is, the Leafs couldn't afford it. There are no goalies, the defense is extremely shallow and there's no secondary scoring.

There's a lot of talk about how the Leafs don't win because they're too soft. I don't think that's the main issue. The fact is that in the playoffs, the opposition has more leeway to defend against the Core 4 aggressively. There's no threat from the bottom 6 of lighting up the lamp. Just adding goons won't fix that problem. The new deal for Matthews shows that it doesn't matter who the GM is, the players hold all the card. Auston got exactly what he wanted and didn't have to make any concessions this time either. JT can't be bought out (no cap savings) and can't be traded unless he waives his NTC and even then, what are you going to get for him?

Lou is gone, Babcock is gone, Dubas is gone, the only one left who has been there since the beginning of the "rebuild" is Shanahan. If the Leafs fail again, he's the one whose head's got to roll. With Nylander's new deal, the Leafs are stuck in cap hell for the foreseeable future. Unfortunately the only thing they can do is keep their draft picks and try to find a pearl in the draft. They can't sell, they can't buy and at the end of the day, everything that happened was signed off by Shanahan. Even if you want to blame Dubas (which isn't unfair), now Shanahan has fired his last bullet. He just extended the coach, firing him would just reflect extremely badly on him.

Reactions: TMLife17

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Haven't we established by now that Sid knows absolutely nothing? You would be better off quoting Steve Simmons...

He said the obvious and you are questioning how much he knows? He knows more than you most likely for starts so there is that. Obviously you can feel free to tell us of your connections in the business. I imagine he is saying this because connected people are saying the same.

Pretty safe to say most people in here now agree with Sid.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
It's time. If this train continues down the tracks it's on we as fans of this team CANNOT let this guy survive the backlash through the summer. He needs to be gone. Scorched earth summer.

Reactions: authentic

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
If you watched any of the games recently
You knew this team was not a real contender

They are far too inconsistent and give up endless high scoring chances to the opposition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad