GDT: #10 | "Room For One More" | Rangers @ Oilers | Nov 5 2021, 7:30 PM | SNW, 630 CHED

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoreDifferentS

I said consummate Flying V's!
May 1, 2021
Strong Badia
homestarrunner.com
oRC1OMe.jpg

Chqz2Sh.jpg

LKFS26i.jpg

T3sYNEt.png

ghVKIv5.png

zTUEnJL.png

XgVQtD5.png

oDjRZ75.png

IyDKd2V.jpg

K8H4DWI.png

*MoreDifferentS GDTs Inc. salutes Kevin Lowe for his Hall Of Fame career as an Oiler*

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Shesterkin is on a heater. 5-1-2, 1.85GAA, .943SV% to start the year. Bit of an unstoppable force vs. immovable object match up. Gonna need McDrai to dent those stats and Koskinen to not let in any muffins.

Reactions: oilers'72

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Controversial post below

Anyone else here from the generation that never got to watch Lowe play? I really only remember him as a failed manager and one of the architects behind the darkest period in Oilers history. I know he did some good things for the franchise as a player but I still don't really like seeing his face or hearing his voice. I'll skip the ceremony I think.

Last edited:

OilersCoffeeArtBeer

Jun 7, 2021
Seattle
Anyone else here from the generation that never got to watch Lowe play? I really only remember him as a failed manager and one of the architects behind the darkest period in Oilers history. I know he did some good things for the franchise as a player but I still don't really like seeing his face or hearing his voice. I'll skip the ceremony I think.
I am from the same generation as you but I don't consider him a failed General manager. He did well with what he had. Once we hired Tambo....it went down hill lol

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Shesterkin is on a heater. 5-1-2, 1.85GAA, .943SV% to start the year. Bit of an unstoppable force vs. immovable object match up. Gonna need McDrai to dent those stats and Koskinen to not let in any muffins.
There is a chance they'll save Shesterkin for the Flames.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Would really like to see Skinner get this start. Koskinen has played in 7 consecutive games and started in 6 straight. I think the only G to play more consecutive games this season is Soroykin on the Isles who is at 8 straight. From my perspective, this is the perfect opportunity to get Skinner in the net. Non-conference opponent. Team is playing pretty well. Lowe ceremony would be a bit disruptive to Mikko's usual routine.

Skinner has been practicing but hasn't played a game in a long time. We may also need Skinner later in the season if another injury to Mikko or Smith occurs. On balance, this is the game to give him. I have a feeling Skinner will be in the crease tonight.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I am from the same generation as you but I don't consider him a failed General manager. He did well with what he had. Once we hired Tambo....it went down hill lol

I'd take Lowe as GM over Chiarelli or Tambo annnnnnny day of the week.

He did a lot with not much given to him, the one year he had an elite player they went to the SC Finals.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton

He did a lot with not much given to him, the one year he had an elite player they went to the SC Finals.

The Oilers definitely had a run of terrible GMs starting with Tambo but to act like Lowe wasn't right there beside Tambo and MacT would be rewriting history. Remember Oil Change? Every draft day, free agency day, trade deadline day, Lowe was sitting in that room beside Tambo working alongside him. The guy was very involved and I think we were all aware of it.

There's a reason why Oilers fans were buying ads in newspapers, putting up billboards and protesting outside the Oilers offices trying to get Lowe fired as late as 2015. Barely anyone on this forum had anything nice to say about him around that time.

Again, I realize he's being honoured for what he did as a player, the majority of which happened before I was born. I don't have a problem with what the Oilers are doing. All I'm saying is I have a hard time dissociating Lowe from his tenure in management and can't really respect him as much as someone who might have seen him play.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
The Oilers definitely had a run of terrible GMs starting with Tambo but to act like Lowe wasn't right there beside Tambo and MacT would be rewriting history. Remember Oil Change? Every draft day, free agency day, trade deadline day, Lowe was sitting in that room beside Tambo working alongside him. The guy was very involved and I think we were all aware of it.

There's a reason why Oilers fans were buying ads in newspapers, putting up billboards and protesting outside the Oilers offices trying to get Lowe fired as late as 2015. Barely anyone on this forum had anything nice to say about him around that time.

Again, I realize he's being honoured for what he did as a player, the majority of which happened before I was born. I don't have a problem with what the Oilers are doing. All I'm saying is I have a hard time dissociating Lowe from his tenure in management and can't really respect him as much as someone who might have seen him play.

With you 100% on this. As a manager he had that one great out-of-body-experience year, then was a tirefire. Replaced with the “TambLowe” puppet era, then it was MacT who was over his head (to put it lightly) and Chiarelli who was awful and still a partial puppet. Lowe was a primary architect of the decade of darkness and helped perpetuate it far longer than it could have gone.

That being said, I can appreciate what he did as a player (though I wasn’t around for it) and tonight is about that.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
Lowe was an incredible Oiler player whose contribution cannot be underestimated. Without him, we might not have won one cup. He was that important

As a GM, his failure is one of the drivers to get non players into management roles. It is a different skill set. YOu will see more of this as the league "matures

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Controversial post below

I seen him in 80’s

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT

I never saw him in the 80s of course but I did see him come back as the hard nosed veteran who came back in the late 90s to mentor the young kids in front of Cujo.

As for the managerial history (especially post cup run), as maddening as it was to watch at the time, I'm at the point where it's water under the bridge now. We suffered alot in that decade as a fan base, but look where we are now. The 2 best players on planet earth are here, just hitting their primes and with the team finally with decent depth, is poised on having a nice up swing in performance.

Back to Lowe, whether he acted rightly or wrongly in most cases, he did it with the intention of trying to run the team the best he could. The guy literally bleeds Oiler blue. He did everything with his heart on his sleeve for the team, and for the city. He was here from the Oilers NHL beginnings, stuck around longer than anyone else, and still he came back for another stint in 96, and has made Edmonton his permanent home.

I think we've spent enough time crapping on Lowe as a manager. The guy literally dedicated his life here. This is the time to give the man some well deserved love.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Controversial post below

Maybe pump the brakes a bit…Kevin Lowe perhaps isn’t even in the Top 3 of worst Oiler GMs, those being “No Clue” Chiarelli, “Stand Pat” Tambellini, and hesitantly, McTavish.

Lowe’s Oiler teams made a SCF, and made the play offs 3 seperate seasons when they were scratching money wise to attract players against other deeper pockets. Pete, Steve and Craig had 1 playoff appearance between the 3 of them. I will give McTavish kudos for his and his scouts ability to identify talent though, he made some good selections. Lowe’s biggest roadblock to managerial success was limited funding when the team was owned by the group of local businessmen (who thankfully stood up and bought the team to save it from heading to Houston). Anyway, I’ve been hard on Kevin at times too for some of his less than brilliant media interactions (tier 2 fan here), but today I celebrate his HHOF on ice achievements.

The guy was a winner and a helluva competitor. Congrats Vicious.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

then he traded Pronger, Comrie and Smyth for magic beans and blew up that narrative...then hired Tambo as his replacement, yikes

no doubt he bled Oiler blue and orange and was a warrior on the ice though

Reactions: McDraekke

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Controversial post below

If we're being candid its one reason its taken this long for his jersey retirement. Remove some memories of his stint as GM and hope that people don't remember much of that. I've been around for both and Lowe was never one of my favorite Oilers people. I won't expand on that too much. But his arrogance was always there. More than most of the Oilers he's the one individual that always put out that he was better than other people, better than the fans. He had one of the biggest egos on the team, and one got more of a glimpse of that in his managerial role here. I won't bother to watch it, but I haven't watched a lot of these jersey retirements. A bit too much living in the past for me.

There won't be any booing. The Oilers have lost a lot of their older fanbase and many of those that have followed the club longterm probably not in attendance. Not that they would boo anyway for something like this.

It makes sense that the Oilers retire this for the Rangers game. Being that Lowe played for both clubs. This probably could have happened in 2019, but its now because of the pandemic moratorium on playing US clubs.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
the c

ombo of Mact as coach and Lowe as GM was good for sure. it was when guys started getting promoted or taking new positions everything got haywire

Lowe got us chris pronger in an era that no one wanted to come to edmontont, and sure he stayed 1 year but it was awesome

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Controversial post below

Lowe bleeds oil. He failed some at management and gets the blame for others failures.

Can't have all great years. Anyone remember Gretzky coaching? You think he isnt deserved?

Lowe is a hockey great and an Oiler great and very worthy of fans love.

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
The guy has unremarkable numbers and never won any personal accolades. IMO he only made it because he's buddies with everyone in the selection committee. The HHOF is really losing its meaning now as they induct people just to induct someone. I think Guy Carbonneau was a questionable inductee as an example but at least he has some Selkes.

I respect what Lowe did for the organization as a player and how much he cares though. Congrats to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad