Player Discussion #10 Jonathan Huberdeau

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
What Rubi said about Johnny was true for the majority of his time playing for us, Sutter turned him into a defensively responsible player though. If you listen to Jacob Markstroms interview on Sportsnet he even hints at how much Lindholm covered for both Chucky and Johnny so they could be more free offensively. I don't even blame Johnny for doing it, he obviously can't body people and his offensive skills are at the highest level so why not utilize that as much as possible.

Reactions: BRobMint

beakerboy

Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin
Rubi isn't 100% wrong. Gaudreau wasn't the type to go physically body guys to dig the puck out. He's more the type to try to get into passing lanes. While the puck was moving, Gaudreau was as active as anyone, but he was definitely not the guy to close out and try to body guys. Mostly. I think I saw him do it once.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
If you listen to Jacob Markstroms interview on Sportsnet he even hints at how much Lindholm covered for both Chucky and Johnny so they could be more free offensively.

I honestly don't think most fans know how good Elias Lindholm is.
Like, you could tell how someone saw the game of hockey when Lindholm was added as the RW to Gaudreau/Monahan and people were like 'they finally found a RW for these two guys!" Anyone who could see past the surface, or talk to people who do this for a living, knew that Lindholm fit those guys perfectly because he was playing like a Selke level centre below the red line and helping keep those two hemmed out of their own zone.

I'm going to find it amazing when Huberdeau after this season is looked as a 'complete player' after being called a one dimensional winger for a long part of his career. No, it's not because he's gotten any better, it's because he's going to be playing in Sutter's structured system with Elias Lindholm AND Tyler Toffoli.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I honestly don't think most fans know how good Elias Lindholm is.
Like, you could tell how someone saw the game of hockey when Lindholm was added as the RW to Gaudreau/Monahan and people were like 'they finally found a RW for these two guys!" Anyone who could see past the surface, or talk to people who do this for a living, knew that Lindholm fit those guys perfectly because he was playing like a Selke level centre below the red line and helping keep those two hemmed out of their own zone.

I'm going to find it amazing when Huberdeau after this season is looked as a 'complete player' after being called a one dimensional winger for a long part of his career. No, it's not because he's gotten any better, it's because he's going to be playing in Sutter's structured system with Elias Lindholm AND Tyler Toffoli.
I've had people attempt to convince me that Tkachuk carried the defensive responsibilities of his line because of some advanced stat chart, and that he made Lindholm look good defensively.

Nothing has made me breathe faster out of my nose.

Lindholm is an absolute gem. I completely agree regarding Huberdeau. A "defensive nightmare" based on his play with a guy who couldn't crack the roster in Calgary as a centre in a system that favoured offence. A guy with that much talent being added to Lindholm or Kadri and receiving the coaching wisdom of Sutter... the upside is immense.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Gaudreau wouldnt really get physically involved, for obvious reasons. I was not surprised to see Huberdeau go to the hard areas and battle, hes not afraid to play the body. Which is why I think he will be more effective long term over Gaudreau. Its too bad Gaudreau will not finish his career out as just a Flame. But I am very happy to have Huberdeau here and signed long term.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Gaudreau wouldnt really get physically involved, for obvious reasons. I was not surprised to see Huberdeau go to the hard areas and battle, hes not afraid to play the body. Which is why I think he will be more effective long term over Gaudreau. Its too bad Gaudreau will not finish his career out as just a Flame. But I am very happy to have Huberdeau here and signed long term.
Gaudreau has a passing acquaintance with the Flames weight room. I'm sure he knows where it is and may have even looked through the door once or twice but I would be surprised if he can bench press much more than he could on the day he first put on a Flames jersey.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I've had people attempt to convince me that Tkachuk carried the defensive responsibilities of his line because of some advanced stat chart, and that he made Lindholm look good defensively.

Lindholm is an absolute gem. I completely agree regarding Huberdeau. A "defensive nightmare" based on his play with a guy who couldn't crack the roster in Calgary as a centre in a system that favoured offence. A guy with that much talent being added to Lindholm or Kadri and receiving the coaching wisdom of Sutter... the upside is immense.

The thing if you look at WOWY stats, the few times Gaudreau didn't play with Lindholm, he was with Backlund in Ozone. Same for Tkachuk, he played a ton with Mangiapane and Backlund in the Ozone. Lindholm was sometimes tasked with the likes of Lewis lmao in Dzone, that's obviously going to make Lindholm look like the worst defensive player of the three advanced stats wise.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The thing if you look at WOWY stats, the few times Gaudreau didn't play with Lindholm, he was with Backlund in Ozone. Same for Tkachuk, he played a ton with Mangiapane and Backlund in the Ozone. Lindholm was sometimes tasked with the likes of Lewis lmao in Dzone, that's obviously going to make Lindholm look like the worst defensive player of the three advanced stats wise.
Yep, and over the three year sample Lindholm had a ton of time with the husk of Monahan. Tkachuk always had solid possession linemates because without them he's ineffective.

Reactions: Kranix

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I think this is definitely the biggest thing. Analytics are looking at their time apart from each other to decide who is responsible for success on a line BUT: Gaudreau - Lindholm - Tkachuk spent pretty much every waking moment together, and when they weren't it was mostly situations like coming off a penalty kill with Lindholm on the ice, or different deployments to get Tkachuk/Gaudreau extra ice time in the offensive zone. Then the system has to extrapolate all of that to say "who is the one driving the defense? Based on these 10 minutes apart Tkachuk was slightly better so surely that's it."

It's one of those things as well, where with defense it feels like a TON of it is buying into a checking, effort-based mindset and convincing the players to think in a different way. It's not like Huberdeau is just some unskilled bum who CANT defend, he just got stuck in a system against it and didn't have to adopt a mindset in support of checking. Or at least that's the way I see it; there's no reason the immensel talented players in the game can't be coached into playing better defense and being better checkers, and Sutter is just the guy I'd want to mold a talented player into a two-way threat.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I don't really care about Huberdeau's defense. 1LW might be the least consequential position defensively on a NHL roster, maybe 4LW/RW would be close. Fundamentally it's the center's job to help out the defenseman in our zone. It's the winger's job to play on the boards, further the breakout, and cover the points. Gaudreau made a good backcheck once and a while and was great at picking pucks off in the NZ but he was never a defensive wizard either, especially on the boards and point coverage.

With Lindholm-Kadri-Backlund down the middle, a very deep blueline, and a Vezina candidate from last year between the pipes I don't think Huberdeau needs to worry too much about defense. Put up points and carry the offense.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
A little interesting how Sutter isn't shying away from heaping lots of praise onto him in pressers before the season has even begun but was very hesitant to do so with Gaudreau and Tkachuk

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
A little interesting how Sutter isn't shying away from heaping lots of praise onto him in pressers before the season has even begun but was very hesitant to do so with Gaudreau and Tkachuk

I would think it has something to do with the maturity he speaks of the team having now that they lacked before. He probably thinks Huberdeau will deal with praise/criticism publicly much better than Gaudreau or Tkachuk could.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I would think it has something to do with the maturity he speaks of the team having now that they lacked before. He probably thinks Huberdeau will deal with praise/criticism publicly much better than Gaudreau or Tkachuk could.

I think he's just being a bit of a salty bitch. And as a salty bitch myself I can appreciate that.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Sutter loves his vets. I think he feels he’s earned it, and yes, he can handle it. The other guys (not here now) would let it go to their heads. Sutter is a psychological wizard. He’s making Huby feel right at home and that he has a great relationship with him. Excellent move.

Reactions: Mitts

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Haven’t been able to catch any preseason games, how’s Huby gelling with the team?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Haven’t been able to catch any preseason games, how’s Huby gelling with the team?

He's Magellan he's so gellin. :laugh::naughty:

Honestly though, I haven't had a chance to watch much at all due to illness. I also don't take too much stock on preseason Performances.

Reactions: tmurfin

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
He's played 3 games and scored 2 goals but one was an empty netter. Zero assists. I've liked what I've seen so far. Plays a completely different game compared to Gaudreau. Uses his body and strength therefore better in a crowd. Seems to play well with Lindholm. Toffoli is still a question mark.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Sutter has called him the best passer to ever play for the Flames, hes probably not wrong. Part of the problem right now is players around him are not expecting to get the puck. I think that first line will look good once all 3 of them have a little more time to figure each other out. Mang and Kadri looked solid together last night oo.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Thanks fellas. I tend to agree with not putting too much stock into preseason, was just wondering if there was any immediate chemistry. I have no doubt he’s gonna get his points, but it would be awesome if he clicks with someone and really produces well since that top 6 screams “not enough production” to me atm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad