Player Discussion #10 Jonathan Huberdeau

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Anyone sort of feel like this is the first time we've had a superstar, that sort of feels and acts like a superstar since like, Jarome?

Giordano was never a superstar, he was sort of this feel-good story.
Gaudreau was never appreciated around the league as being a real superstar, he didn't act like one outside of hockey, there was rarely any media around him.
Tkachuk really thought he was a mega-star, but on-ice antics really soured that view of him.

Huberdeau feels like a rock star. Like, he's this big star winger that shows up at award ceremonies, does charity games in Flames gear, does these media tours; he looks incredible in a suit. Like, he feel different to what we have had in the past.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Anyone sort of feel like this is the first time we've had a superstar, that sort of feels and acts like a superstar since like, Jarome?

Giordano was never a superstar, he was sort of this feel-good story.
Gaudreau was never appreciated around the league as being a real superstar, he didn't act like one outside of hockey, there was rarely any media around him.
Tkachuk really thought he was a mega-star, but on-ice antics really soured that view of him.

Huberdeau feels like a rock star. Like, he's this big star winger that shows up at award ceremonies, does charity games in Flames gear, does these media tours; he looks incredible in a suit. Like, he feel different to what we have had in the past.
Idk I always felt iginla was incredibly humble and reserved about himself. Of course he had the recognition unlike Gaudreau (which was a damned shame imo), but I’d say it feels a little different about huberdeau.

evdog

Oct 15, 2014
San diego
So what is Huberdeau's jersey number going to be?

I see photos of him wearing #10, but Flames site and NHL.com list him (and Backlund still) as #11.

BRobMint

Formerly known as Hockey Ninja
Apr 24, 2013
Cleveland, OH (Grew up in Calgary)
So what is Huberdeau's jersey number going to be?

I see photos of him wearing #10, but Flames site and NHL.com list him (and Backlund still) as #11.
It’s the #10 he’s wearing in those photos. He said in an interview that it’s a tribute to Guy Lafleur. Also it’s only one less than 11 so it’s convenient enough

Reactions: evdog

BRobMint

Formerly known as Hockey Ninja
Apr 24, 2013
Cleveland, OH (Grew up in Calgary)

021062F1-B187-485F-88E6-C0E7BA97C30A.jpeg

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I think Huberdeau, Weegar, Kadri definitely bring an element of coolness to their confidence that was missing from previous iterations of this team other than Tanev and Markstrom

Reactions: Fig and Mitts

evdog

Oct 15, 2014
San diego
I think Huberdeau, Weegar, Kadri definitely bring an element of coolness to their confidence that was missing from previous iterations of this team other than Tanev and Markstrom
I think those guys bring toughness as well. As much as I loved Johnny he wasn't getting it done in the playoffs, he just gets pushed around too much. Huberdeau is a lot bigger. Tkachuck often disappeared as well. Kadri has proven drive. I think we're a better team now than a couple months ago.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I still look at it that Huberdeau = Johnny.

Our defence and team defence was not good in the playoffs. It was exposed both again Dallas and Edmonton. Adding Weegar filled such a big hole and quite frankly so did Kadri. I still think we need 1 good winger. Someone like Konency would be sick.

Reactions: Ainsy01 and Janks

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Huberdeau was my favourite player on the team (along with Barkov), both were part of the reason I became a panthers fan, so it was sad to see him go.

But I think i'll tune in to Flames games just for Huberdeau. Depending on how much he lights it up, I could be here often. So yeah, I'm on the bandwagon.

Here's his career highlights

He isnt Gaudreau in terms of excitement, but he's underrated when it comes to highlight reel plays. Him making a brilliant pass was one of the most satisfying things to watch.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
He isnt Gaudreau in terms of excitement, but he's underrated when it comes to highlight reel plays. Him making a brilliant pass was one of the most satisfying things to watch.
That's hard to do. Gaudreau was super exciting. But, Huby definitely has a similar skillset, except being bigger makes him a bit harder to knock off the puck. Honestly, this contract, first couple years is more of a sideways step, last few years are going to be a downgrade over Gaudreau. But the willingness to be here for long term (on the same money and term we offered Gaudreau), and how he's immediately immersed himself into the city is a nice touch.

Reactions: Felidae

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
That's hard to do. Gaudreau was super exciting. But, Huby definitely has a similar skillset, except being bigger makes him a bit harder to knock off the puck. Honestly, this contract, first couple years is more of a sideways step, last few years are going to be a downgrade over Gaudreau. But the willingness to be here for long term (on the same money and term we offered Gaudreau), and how he's immediately immersed himself into the city is a nice touch.
Why a downgrade on Gaudreau? They are the same age. One could also think that as Gaudreau ages and gets slower he would be more susceptable to injury given his size and the type of flashy game he plays.

Reactions: 1989

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Huberdeau was my favourite player on the team (along with Barkov), both were part of the reason I became a panthers fan, so it was sad to see him go.

But I think i'll tune in to Flames games just for Huberdeau. Depending on how much he lights it up, I could be here often. So yeah, I'm on the bandwagon.

Here's his career highlights

Chris Tanev died for huberdeau 's #9 highlight.

Edit : I just realized... Is huberdeau not as flashy as Gaudreau because he passes to where the team mate will be with lots of extra space vs Gaudreau and Tkachuk pass to where the team mate is, so there's slightly faster stick handling and more scramble?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Chris Tanev died for huberdeau 's #9 highlight.

Edit : I just realized... Is huberdeau not as flashy as Gaudreau because he passes to where the team mate will be with lots of extra space vs Gaudreau and Tkachuk pass to where the team mate is, so there's slightly faster stick handling and more scramble?
Yeah you can say that.

Also, huberdeau simply doesn't have the skating speed or agility that Gaudreau does, nor does he possess the same level of stickhandling, even though he's pretty good at it himself.

Reactions: Fig

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Huberdeau actually gets involved in the play when he doesn't have the puck instead of floating around the blue line waiting for one of his teammates to gain possession and pass it to him a la Johnney Hockey.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Huberdeau actually gets involved in the play when he doesn't have the puck instead of floating around the blue line waiting for one of his teammates to gain possession and pass it to him a la Johnney Hockey.
This is the dumbest thing I’ve read all day. No wonder he left

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
You're right. Johnny was always in the thick of things trying to regain possession in his own end instead of floating around his own blue line waiting for someone else to do the work and get him the puck. :sarcasm:
No wonder he left? Now that's a pretty stupid statement in itself.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
The bitterness from this fanbase with Gaudreau has truly been something else, and it’s even better some people have tried to play it off as “it’s sports, it’s supposed to be fun and petty” as a cover to excuse pettiness towards a player that gave it his all for almost a decade despite all the bullshit he faced in this market.

The comment rubi made is just flat out revisionism after the year he had.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
The bitterness from this fanbase with Gaudreau has truly been something else, and it’s even better some people have tried to play it off as “it’s sports, it’s supposed to be fun and petty” as a cover to excuse pettiness towards a player that gave it his all for almost a decade despite all the bullshit he faced in this market.

The comment rubi made is just flat out revisionism after the year he had.
Not revisionism. That's the type of game Gaudreau played. That's the type of game he's always played (likely because of his size) where he's rarely along the boards battling for the puck in his own end. He left that chore to Lindholm and Tkachuk and the the dmen. He would instead be circling between the top of the circle and the blue line in the open waiting for someone to pass him the puck hoping the Flames gained possession. Its kind of nice to have a LW on that line now who isn't afraid to go into the tough areas and fight for possession. Gaudreau was a lot of things but a physical player he wasn't... probably one of the reasons he's not a great playoff performer where the games get tougher and more physical.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad