Player Discussion #10 Jonathan Huberdeau

NinjaTurtle

Feb 29, 2020
Windsor, Ont.
Tatar not a bad trade for 5th...Cheap..If we could get Duclair for something similar, I would be prepared doing it.

Or try Huberdeau at centre with Coronato and Dube/Peltier when back.

Dillon Dubé for Anthony Duclair

Who says no? San Jose because Hockey Canada investigation?

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
I would just keep him with Backlund to be honest.

Even though the production hasn't been there for thsse last stretch of games, he's still played better with Backlund than he has Lindholm and Kadri imo. Just based on eye test this season.

Idk at this point. Coleman has been playing out of his mind on the same line and yet Huberdeau hasn't managed a point in 8 straight games.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
If I was Calgary I'd trade for Duclair. Whether that's shipping over Dillon Dube as a way to restart his career, or just use some late round draft capital (5,6-7th rounder).

Then I'd run Zary down the middle with Huberdeau and Duclair. It's about as close as this franchise can get to having a Panthers type line. Give them easy matchups, and make sure that Weegs, Tanev, Razzy or Noah are on the ice when the line is out there and not the third pairing.

Duclair is UFA after this season making 3M. Best case they find chemistry and you make it happen on a 2-3 year deal with him, worst case it doesn't work out and he can find a new home in the summer.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Yea it's going to go down as one of the worst contacts all time

Serious question from an Oiler's fan;

Would the Flames trade Huberdeau @50% if it meant taking on a bad contract that is cheaper and has a way shorter term?

It would mean a $5.25 Million dollar hit for *checks cap friendly* Jebus.. 2031? Did I read that correctly?

Yeah, so that. Hell of an ask.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Would the Flames trade Huberdeau @50%
No.

Past ownership decisions aside, it would take some kind of extraordinary scenario for that to happen. Not living up to a contract doesn't qualify as extraordinary.

Along the lines of "Can't formally terminate the contract but something happened that was a really bad thing nonetheless and need to be rid of the player". That would probably make other teams reluctant to take that contract even at 50%.

Last edited:

Betelgeuse

Sep 21, 2018
Only heard in passing but while watching yesterday's game, I thought I heard a clip with Huberdeau saying he has earned the contract and he doesn't try to think about it now.

Fair but something about the mindset of having "earned" it instead of actively "earning" it just seemed off. May be reading too much into it.

Reactions: joescores

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Only heard in passing but while watching yesterday's game, I thought I heard a clip with Huberdeau saying he has earned the contract and he doesn't try to think about it now.

Fair but something about the mindset of having "earned" it instead of actively "earning" it just seemed off. May be reading too much into it.
Yeah it’s a red flag, Zito probably shipped him out because of how he earned it in the regular season

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

He did earn the contract. Set a NHL record for assists from a LW in a contract year. There were obviously other factors in him getting that much but you don't get 84 million in a cap league by accident.

Not sure if you heard the whole thing but in the clip you're referring to he does clarify that he now has to focus on living up to the deal.

I think there's always going to be a bit of put your feet up complacency that seeps in after signing a mega deal, plenty of guys have struggled the season after signing one. Just don't think it's something I would point to as the primary reason he's struggled here in Calgary.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
He's been decent as of late.

In saying that, I don't buy the Lindholm experiment ever working. 4/5 of his pts this year hasn't even involved either of his ES line mates.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
IMG_2201.jpeg

Hope no one had their Christmas ruined 😭

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
2 months now of hovering around a PPG. 5 goals and 16 points for 21 points in 22 games.

Since the start of the year, He's 2nd in points behind Kadri with Coleman right behind him. I think you can argue he's been the 2nd or 3rd best forward since then

If he keeps this pace up by the end of the season, I honestly think a PPG would be attainable for an entire season. But maybe that's just the fanboy in me speaking.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
2 months now of hovering around a PPG. 5 goals and 16 points for 21 points in 22 games.

Since the start of the year, He's 2nd in points behind Kadri with Coleman right behind him. I think you can argue he's been the 2nd or 3rd best forward since then

If he keeps this pace up by the end of the season, I honestly think a PPG over the course of a season would be attainable for him going into next season. But maybe that's just the fanboy in me speaking.
He has the skill, he has the right attitude, he just needed a better fit and more confidence. The latter being the most important because clearly he was struggling with that, especially with getting benched.

Reactions: Felidae

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Since December 31st, it’s hilarious to see the results of the 4 horsemen of this boards 2022-23 whipping boys.

Kadri: 26 points in 24 games, 89 point pace
Huberdeau:22 points in 23 games, 79 point pace
Hanifin: 17 points in 24 games, 58 point pace (team leading +16)
Markstrom: 12-5-0, .925, 2.38 GAA

There were posters legitimately just coming to game day threads to mock them. Bonus points to for the fact that our youthful 4th line is doing so much worse than the Lucic-Lewis-x 4th lines did.

Reactions: Nanuuk

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
The team just needs more skill and finishing ability at the top of the lineup. The guy is arguably the purest playmaker in the league, so in a way, he absolutely is a "complementary piece" but that's what playmakers are in the truest sense.

He's currently playing with a second/third line winger as his center, and an AHL tweener at the moment, and he's still looks dynamic. If he were on a roster like Colorado, Tampa, or Vancouver for example he is easily still a 90+ point guy in my opinion. He leads this team in PP points with 10.. to put that in perspective Nikita Kucherov has 41. Even during that 12 game stretch in December when he was somehow pointless he still led the entire forward group in on ice scoring chances and high danger looks at five on five.. He has been playing well for a long time.

Reactions: Felidae and Nanuuk

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
That pass from behind the net to Hunt two games ago was beautiful.

I’d guess there’s a direct correlation between eliminating spin-o-Rama backhand passes and him playing better

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
It’ll never be a good deal but with the projected cap increases over the next couple of years 10 mil is going to be the new 8

Like others mentioned if we can surround him with some high end talent it will hopefully not be abhorrent. I’ve quite liked his play in the new year

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Now that there’s no more pressure to make the playoffs this season, I would consider acquiring Duclair at the deadline.

I rolled my eyes at those suggestions before but it could be an interesting audition now that there are zero stakes

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Since December 31st, it’s hilarious to see the results of the 4 horsemen of this boards 2022-23 whipping boys.

Kadri: 26 points in 24 games, 89 point pace
Huberdeau:22 points in 23 games, 79 point pace
Hanifin: 17 points in 24 games, 58 point pace (team leading +16)
Markstrom: 12-5-0, .925, 2.38 GAA

There were posters legitimately just coming to game day threads to mock them. Bonus points to for the fact that our youthful 4th line is doing so much worse than the Lucic-Lewis-x 4th lines did.

You act like they all didn't have legitimate reasons for being whipping boys. Kadri literally quit on Sutter and played like he didn't give a f***. Huberdeau's contract doesn't match his talent and it never will. Hanifin is still the same vanilla defenseman who's playing better in his contract year and Markstrom shit the bed last season almost every game by letting in the first shot.

Their 20 game pace does not change who they are as players.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
You act like they all didn't have legitimate reasons for being whipping boys. Kadri literally quit on Sutter and played like he didn't give a f***. Huberdeau's contract doesn't match his talent and it never will. Hanifin is still the same vanilla defenseman who's playing better in his contract year and Markstrom shit the bed last season almost every game by letting in the first shot.

Their 20 game pace does not change who they are as players.
Hanifin may be the most illegitimate whipping boy people have ever had. Right up there with Brodie.

He our best defenceman this year and was completely fine before that.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Hanifin may be the most illegitimate whipping boy people have ever had. Right up there with Brodie.

He our best defenceman this year and was completely fine before that.

He's a whipping boy for being vanilla and inconsistent at times. That really isn't something that will change no matter where he goes. I agree with him being the best this year and I never hated him before that but I also never thought he was a #1 despite his draft pedigree. Him being slotted properly fixes most of the problems people have with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad