Player Discussion #10 Jonathan Huberdeau

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
This does a good job at explaining Huberdeau's struggles in Calgary vs how he was in Florida

Now I will say, Huberdeau's inability to adapt to different styles of hockey.. also an indictment on him as a player. I don't think other top tier playmakers would do as bad as him if they were in the same situation just because his skillset is limited compared to most.

Decent wrister but overall shot arsenal is meh, Skating is meh, puckhandling is pretty good, but with his skating it's hard to utilize it to full effect. Puck protection... believe it or not, he had his moments over the years, but nowhere near at a consistent level. And as you can see during his time here, he has trouble winning any puck battles.

Either way, it's a pretty bleak situation for him. He's only aging, and if ever Calgary changes their playstyle, by that time he might not even have it in him anymore.

That video is actually pretty good at highlighting how lazy Huby became over the past three, four years with the Panthers. It answers to ppl's question about what happened to Huby. Well, nothing happened. That is the same guy doing the same stuff in a CGY jersey.

He was very good at only one thing and that was carrying the puck into the o-zone in a transition play. He wasn't good at recovering the puck in the d-zone because he had all of the other Panther players backchecking, he wasn't good at goal scoring but he had other players to do that for him, he wasn't good at forechecking and puck battles but, thankfully, he had other players to rely on.

Thus, I'd beg to differ... Huby was consistent. It's each to his/her own to decide whether he was lazy or laser focused on waiting on top of the o-zone blueline for his teammates to get him the puck so that he can carry it and make a toe-drag pass to someone else to finish the job. That was his job with the Panthers. Now his job description has changed but not the man himself. Now expectation is that he should perform like a top5 playmaker in the NHL but it ain't happening because he wasn't operating like one when he was with the Panthers.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
In order to win, your best players got to be your best players. Jonathan is NOT our best player, he is not a Matthew Tkachuk or Johnny the Hockey- this guy is simply not on their par.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
That video is actually pretty good at highlighting how lazy Huby became over the past three, four years with the Panthers. It answers to ppl's question about what happened to Huby. Well, nothing happened. That is the same guy doing the same stuff in a CGY jersey.

I actually agree with you here. I remember during the Jagr era, he was committed to the cycle. Fighting alongside the boards, protecting the puck, even the occasional defensive effort.

You didnt see as much of that after Jagr left but his production jumped, so can't complain too much.
He was very good at only one thing and that was carrying the puck into the o-zone in a transition play. He wasn't good at recovering the puck in the d-zone because he had all of the other Panther players backchecking, he wasn't good at goal scoring but he had other players to do that for him, he wasn't good at forechecking and puck battles but, thankfully, he had other players to rely on.
I'd say his puckhandling was pretty good, bordering on very good. During his time as a Panther I'd say he was one of our better puckhandlers.
Thus, I'd beg to differ... Huby was consistent. It's each to his/her own to decide whether he was lazy or laser focused on waiting on top of the o-zone blueline for his teammates to get him the puck so that he can carry it and make a toe-drag pass to someone else to finish the job. That was his job with the Panthers. Now his job description has changed but not the man himself. Now expectation is that he should perform like a top5 playmaker in the NHL but it ain't happening because he wasn't operating like one when he was with the Panthers.
Again, we don't actually disagree much.

I will say that he's losing puck battles and botching passes at a higher rate than he ever was in Florida just going off eye test. (Some of which can be attributed to not mixing well with players, as well as a different system to that of the Panthers back then)

At least in Florida, he had the confidence to actually move with the puck, even if he was stationary more than you would like. You don't even see that in Calgary.

He was never a top 5 playmaker and even the stats support that. But I'd say he was in the top 10-20 area for a couple yeats. That's probably where you and me disagree.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I’m disappointed he didn’t go to the WHC with Weegar and try to get his mojo back

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I am becoming convinced that Huberdeau's issue is the lack of a C-man.

Not that I am down on Lindholm, but those two just don't click. Neither did Huby/Kadri.

So for now there are two options. One, play him with Backs and Coleman. Two, play him at 4LW with a C that can drive play and with a RW with speed. They would not be a stereotypical 4th line, but another arrow in the quiver for Coach Huska.

The problem with option two is that our two nascent centers are just that nascent, emerging, not there yet. But both Ruzicka and Dube can carry the puck in with speed.

And that is what Huby needs. Two F in wreaking havoc with him trailing looking to feed the high or low slot. Maybe even a trailing D with a cross ice pass.

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
I hope he can will it to be. If not, this team definitely has no choice but to find the answer by way of what many others are saying. He needs to try different centres until it clicks.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
I'd be reluctant to move Zary from Kadri and Sharangovich. They've got a good thing going.

Zary is like a new puppy for Kadri and he (Kadri) is taking him under his wing. It's rejuvenated his play big time.

Maybe playing with the two Slovaks would have the same effect on Huby.
I’ve been saying it for a while, but Kadri thrives on speed and chaos. You can’t really put him with structured players, and him and Huberdeau are never going to be a fit. Huberdeau wants to make the perfect play at any given moment, whereas Kadri thrives at off the rush chances, creating turnovers, and just funneling everything net front. Putting him with rookies is genius considering they’re pretty notorious for just playing a high energy game without really falling into the system. Kadri, Zary, and Rango all work so well together because they love attacking with pace, and just being opportunistic when breakdowns happen.

For that same reason, I don’t really feel following the same path with Huberdeau is the answer. It’s such a shame Pelletier went down, a cerebral player who plays with pace would be such a great fit for him.

Zary-Kadri-Sharangovich
Mangiapane-Backlund-Coleman
Huberdeau-Lindholm-Pelletier
Greer-Dube-Duehr

That’s beginning to look like our ideal lineup, with hopefully Coronato pushing Coleman down the lineup by the end of this season or next. Ruzicka hopefully displaces Dube after a trade to get us a low end #4/top end #5 defenseman to shore up our weakness there in this fantasy

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I like that Huska is keeping their conversation between them. I also like that Huby took responsibility for his play, and I like that teh guys are rallying behind Huby.

I also like the timing of this, we're about to go on an Eastern Canadian trip, so Huby is going to want to be his best next week when we visit Montreal.

I don't like that it had come to this, but since it did this seems to be as positive as it can be the following day. Now hopefully things look different on the ice on Friday.

I'm hoping we see something a little different in our lines... the order of the top 9 is irrelevant.

Huberdeau - Backlund - Coleman
Zary - Kadri - Sharangovich
Mangiapane - Lindholm - Dube
Pospisil - Ruzicka - Duehr
x: Greer, Hunt

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
At this point, 60 pts will be a good bar for him to reach. Pretty tough to see, and also tough to be saddled with the worst contract in the league, but it is what it is. Both sides are married to each other and have to try to make it work.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I’d like to see a different look completely

Huberdeau-Backlund-Lindholm
Zary-Kadri-Sharangovich
Mangiapane-Ruzicka-Coleman
Pospíšil-Dube-Duehr

The fact they haven’t put Huberdeau with Backlund more often when they were actually really successful last year is baffling to me.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
He'll figure it out, he was our best player the last 20 games last year. I still believe it's all in his head (aka not cooked) and just needs to chill out and he'll be fine. We have him for the next decade, I'd rather cheer for the guy than go full CP and just shit on the guy every shift he's on the ice.

He looked to be having a great time last year playing with Pelletier, just give him some young guys to play with.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Trade Lindholm ASAP to get some help for Huberdeau. Like it or not Huberdeau is going to be here a long time

Lindholm is not a good fit. Conroy, do your job!!!!

Reactions: Dack

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I’d like to see a different look completely

Huberdeau-Backlund-Lindholm
Zary-Kadri-Sharangovich
Mangiapane-Ruzicka-Coleman
Pospíšil-Dube-Duehr

The fact they haven’t put Huberdeau with Backlund more often when they were actually really successful last year is baffling to me.
Interesting line-up that would be fun to watch. We've won two straight so I don't think they will make those changes just to get Huberdeau going.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Trade Lindholm ASAP to get some help for Huberdeau. Like it or not Huberdeau is going to be here a long time

Lindholm is not a good fit. Conroy, do your job!!!!
I think the trade should be for futures but regardless they have to trade Lindholm. Re-signing him would be a massive mistake.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I think the trade should be for futures but regardless they have to trade Lindholm. Re-signing him would be a massive mistake.
Yes but the future package is not good, they should get someone to work with Huberdeau. After all, they only signed the guy for 8 yrs to a massive contract….

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I'll go out on a limb and take on some flack. I want to keep Huberdeau. I want to give him a lot more slack.

I do think he's trying. I don't think he's moping or floating and I do think he's trying hard. But I also think he's struggling in figuring out how to reinvent his game. Reinventing your game at the NHL level isn't easy, but last season and bits of this season, we saw glimpses of it with increased physicality and increased goal scoring attempts.

I personally will change my mindset and wait till around let's say game 30-40 before I start getting ultra annoyed at him. But I wonder if that's part of the Allan Walsh meeting. "How can we insulate and put together the best structure for Huberdeau to succeed... and is part of that also creating a stable and safe set up for him to also make mistakes while evolving his game?" Huberdeau changed his game a lot last season and was in weird positions which didn't help. He has to change his game again this season because of a new coach with new structure. That compounds the situation IMO.

Anyone recall what it was like when Iggy tried to reinvent his game to match the faster NHL? How long did it take Iggy to accomplish that?

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I'll go out on a limb and take on some flack. I want to keep Huberdeau. I want to give him a lot more slack.

I do think he's trying. I don't think he's moping or floating and I do think he's trying hard. But I also think he's struggling in figuring out how to reinvent his game. Reinventing your game at the NHL level isn't easy, but last season and bits of this season, we saw glimpses of it with increased physicality and increased goal scoring attempts.

I personally will change my mindset and wait till around let's say game 30-40 before I start getting ultra annoyed at him. But I wonder if that's part of the Allan Walsh meeting. "How can we insulate and put together the best structure for Huberdeau to succeed... and is part of that also creating a stable and safe set up for him to also make mistakes while evolving his game?" Huberdeau changed his game a lot last season and was in weird positions which didn't help. He has to change his game again this season because of a new coach with new structure. That compounds the situation IMO.

Anyone recall what it was like when Iggy tried to reinvent his game to match the faster NHL? How long did it take Iggy to accomplish that?
I think it’s the only option really. Unless a Gaudreau for Huberdeau trade materializes you kinda just gotta wait to see if he can figure it out. Still think he should play with Backlund 5 on 5. Also I’d like to see him as the net front/below the goal line guy on the PP

Reactions: Fig

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Besides of humanity, feeling for the guy and supporting him which I do btw..

What should happen if his hole is deeper after the next 3 games?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think it’s the only option really. Unless a Gaudreau for Huberdeau trade materializes you kinda just gotta wait to see if he can figure it out. Still think he should play with Backlund 5 on 5. Also I’d like to see him as the net front/below the goal line guy on the PP

Backlund could help to allow him to play his old game, but curious if doing that also means that he's in with good linemates and good deployment situation to also reinvent his game while playing games as well?

I do think some momentum and success will help that evolution. I almost want to start thinking about whether similar problems of Bennett deployment causing him to play worse is happening with Huberdeau here.

Besides of humanity, feeling for the guy and supporting him which I do btw..

What should happen if his hole is deeper after the next 3 games?

You can't move him, you can't bench him forever... so the only solution is finding a way to help him figure things out whether that's creating an opportunity to revert to his old style or putting together a good environment for him to evolve his game to be more sustainable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad