Post-Game Talk: 10-13-1. "A bunch of donkeys on skates"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Both. More flaming car wrecks like the Philadelphia game wouldn't be at all surprising IMO. When they're not the quicker, more determined team they lack the wit to merely survive or use their energy selectively/wisely.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Okay, watched the Milbury video, criticism of each of his clips.

1. Look at the clip, look at where Green is a 0.5 second before that. He looked back and probably saw Green coming full flight a few seconds before and figured he would continue, could of been a beautiful play, it also could of just been a pass to Green at the point.
2. He one hands the puck forward after falling, How the hell is that no fight, beautiful play.
3. There were several other uncalled penalties. including a 2 handed slash on Ovechkins hand(theres a reason why he wears slash guards unlike 99% of hockey players) he didn't do anything until the he had already shot the puck, getting no call of course.
4. Whats the bad play exactly by Ovechkin? He was wide open, why does he have to move? The whole point of a PP isn't to skate towards opposing players, the best PPs try skate away and pass the opposite direction to tire PKers. Green should of passed to Ovechkin, instead he passes to Perreault(and doesn't even do a good pass and misses him), and then Perreault had a wide open passing lane to Ovechkin. Ovechkin was standing in a good spot.
5. Nothing play, does everything but get an interference or holding penalty and ties up his mans stick nicely forcing a nothing shot.
6. Alzner should of been farther over. Holtby soft goal, it hit the back post between the body and the arm.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Whats the bad play exactly by Ovechkin? He was wide open, why does he have to move? The whole point of a PP isn't to skate towards opposing players, the best PPs try skate away and pass the opposite direction to tire PKers. Green should of passed to Ovechkin, instead he passes to Perreault(and doesn't even do a good pass and misses him), and then Perreault had a wide open passing lane to Ovechkin. Ovechkin was standing in a good spot.

That's the point criticism of which always confuses me most. If Green learns how to pass, it's a scoring chance every time. Instead, the Caps try to play 4v3 in half a zone. These people act like Ovechkin should be everywhere.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
That's the point criticism of which always confuses me most. If Green learns how to pass, it's a scoring chance every time. Instead, the Caps try to play 4v3 in half a zone. These people act like Ovechkin should be everywhere.

Maybe he just needs to lift his stick 8 feet into the air like Stamkos. It looks stupid, but it alerts the low hockey IQ players that he wants the puck.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
To me, years ago back when he was available, Kimmo Timmonen comes to mind.

But if his salary scares you, I would have taken a guy like Beauchemin. I'm sure if I spent some time on it, I could think of more, but those are the types I'm talking about.

Those guys you listed were decent bargain additions with a painfully short shelf life, agreed.

The offseason the Caps signed Poti was the same one the Flyers acquired the rights to Timonen and Hartnell for a 1st and then signed them.

Poti was coming off a year where he was the Isles number 1 and help lead them to the playoffs. Sure he didn't come with a crystal ball that foretold his eventual major groin injury but to get a guy who played that role on a playoff team, while putting up 44 points, for $3.5 mil per is a nice addition.

And that contract is not comparable to Timonen's IMO. Timonen signed a front loaded deal with a $6.333 mil cap hit and paid him $8 mil a year for the first two year and $7 mil a year the next two years.

And Wideman just signed a 5 year deal with a $5.25 mil cap hit. To get the guy who was going to earn that deal for a 3rd rounder and low prospect was a very nice addition regardless of how it eventually worked out.

And Hannan was in the last year of a 4 year deal with a $4.5 mil cap hit and was only 31 at the time. Sure since his stint in DC he hasn't commanded anything like what he used to make but there was no reason to believe at the time that was going to be the case IMO. Beauchemin has never made as much per year as Hannan was making on that contract.

IMO those guys were all far from 'bargain' additions and at the time of acquisition none were necessarily considered short term additions and even the one who may have been, Hannan, was considered exactly the type of player the Caps needed to add.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Rehash those moves all you want....all decent bargain pickups that ended in failure. They all cost the Caps next to nothing to acquire.

But hey, way to miss the point of the whole discussion....McPhee has brought in zero IMPACT, SKILLED, Veteran Ds to mentor others. Mike Green has been mentored by injured journeymen his entire career.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I guess my point is that IMO none of Poti, Hannan, or Wideman was injured or a journeyman when acquired.

Also IMO Leonsis was never going to OK paying Timonen on average $7.5 mil a year for the first 4 years of that contract.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
What they turned out to be here is all that matters. Are any of them real feathers in McPhee's GM cap when looking at them in retrospect? Hell no.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Well then any addition any team ever made that didn't result in a cup didn't matter then I guess...

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Because clearly that's what I said.....and clearly irrelevant to the discussion point. If you're telling me Poti, Wideman, and Hannan are the guys you want tutoring and mentoring your prized young D's, we'll agree to disagree.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Because clearly that's what I said.....and clearly irrelevant to the discussion point. If you're telling me Poti, Wideman, and Hannan are the guys you want tutoring and mentoring your prized young D's, we'll agree to disagree.

I applauded the Hannan move. Thats the ONE move that GMGM made to address this issue you are describing (and to which I agree with you 10000%, btw).

He didnt work out, but that was the right kind of move. Just maybe needed it augmented by one other move, or a 2nd try. Wideman was not such move. He was a salary dump by FLA as they were terrible that year.

Honestly, what you are really saying is that George does NOT KNOW how to build a proper team. This is just one example, but there are many.

Coaching
Veteran Leadership
Locker Room Chemistry

Are the 3 main fails, and you can name numerous examples of FAIL by George in those areas.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I loved the Hannan pickup. Just the type of guy (albeit only a 1-way D) you want as a mentor. What did we do? Let him walk as if he was an afterthought.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I wouldn't say the Hannan move didn't work out. I thought he was solid in his brief time in DC. However he was, unsurprisingly, misused by the Caps. How often was he paired with Green, 1 or 2 games?

Hannan-Green should have been the top pairing as soon as he was acquired, and should have continued to be into the next season.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I wouldn't say the Hannan move didn't work out. I thought he was solid in his brief time in DC. However he was, unsurprisingly, misused by the Caps. How often was he paired with Green, 1 or 2 games?

Hannan-Green should have been the top pairing as soon as he was acquired, and should have continued to be into the next season.

He didnt work out because he didnt stay more than that partial season. For whatever reason, he wasnt resigned....and he also got nothing from his next contract. GMGM didnt give him anything...or Hannan didnt want to come back.

Either way, his stay was brief, so I classify that as "not working out"

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I dont blame Hannan for leaving

He had to be scratched to learn how to play in our system. That's a laugh.

He overnight tried to take control our of sub heavy defense and was barking vocal commands for all to see, and he did just fine. He was instantly a leader on our blueline.

I think he was not retained because we needed a fall guy after our very pathetic showing versus Tampa.

Someone should have been **** canned after that series and predictably it was only UFAs.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
He didnt work out because he didnt stay more than that partial season. For whatever reason, he wasnt resigned....and he also got nothing from his next contract. GMGM didnt give him anything...or Hannan didnt want to come back.

Either way, his stay was brief, so I classify that as "not working out"

I think Hannan acquired 2 years earlier would have been a better fit.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Hannan got squeezed and perhaps his agent didnt have the pulse of the market, or he just flat looked bad paired with Alzner vs Tampa, but I would have paid him Sarge money for one year. I know he probably wanted more money or term save it.

His career took a nose dive coming here. What a disaster that trade was for us, Flash gone Bruce tanked he changed his game and we were never the same after that.

I felt like he was worth signing at 1M or whatever later on as his type is what our d needs, someone to at least TRY and be a leader.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Forward Marcus Johansson, on injured reserve with what the team is calling an upper-body injury, practiced with teammates again but has not been cleared for contact. There’s no timetable for his return after missing the past eight games.

Forward Brooks Laich (groin) has not skated since Feb. 16. Oates had no update on Laich when asked Friday morning.

Matt Hendricks - Mike Ribeiro - Alex Ovechkin

Eric Fehr - Nicklas Backstrom - Troy Brouwer

Jason Chimera - Mathieu Perreault - Joel Ward

Wojtek Wolski - Jay Beagle - Joey Crabb

Karl Alzner - Tomas Kundratek

John Erskine - John Carlson

Jeff Schultz - Tom Poti

Stephen Whyno ‏@SWhyno
LW with Ovechkin, #Caps' Oates says, is "kind of by committee right now until I feel that there's a real guy who can be entrenched there."

Holtby in net for #Caps at #NHLJets, his 9th straight start. Vopatti is expected to be in lineup, Adam Oates said.

I'd venture to guess Wolski will be scratched and Volpatti play on the 4th.

Holtby starting is stupid.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I'd venture to guess Wolski will be scratched and Volpatti play on the 4th.

Holtby starting is stupid.

Lol, this is such a pathetic lineup. Hendricks on top line. Fehr as Backstrom's sniper. Purretu with grinders. Wolski on the 4th line (I know, I know).

Every line contains an element of comedy!

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA

Lol, this is such a pathetic lineup. Hendricks on top line. Fehr as Backstrom's sniper. Purretu with grinders. Wolski on the 4th line (I know, I know).

Every line contains an element of comedy!

Volpatti is playing, he just wasn't at the practice, Whyno and Katie both are figuring Volpatti will play on the 4th and Wolski will be scratched.

Which is kinda stupid IMO, I think Wolski played quite well with Perreault and Ward. Its stupid to let what you view what a player should be doing, and if they are playing well in the role they are put in, let them do it.

bags92

Jan 2, 2010
Rochester, New York
Volpatti is playing, he just wasn't at the practice, Whyno and Katie both are figuring Volpatti will play on the 4th and Wolski will be scratched.

Which is kinda stupid IMO, I think Wolski played quite well with Perreault and Ward. Its stupid to let what you view what a player should be doing, and if they are playing well in the role they are put in, let them do it.

I agree, best line all game for us if you ask me. I'd like to see Crabb be the guy to take a seat with Volpatti in the lineup.

Liberati0n*

I think he was not retained because we needed a fall guy after our very pathetic showing versus Tampa.

Someone should have been **** canned after that series and predictably it was only UFAs.

This is a crazy claim. The excuse after the Tampa series was injuries. You actually think the team would choose not to re-sign a player it thought was worth re-signing so it could make that player a fall guy -- purely implicitly since no statements to that effect were made -- when there was already a perfectly good excuse available?

Brad Tolliver

Terror Goes Into
Feb 17, 2004
Overtime
I dont blame Hannan for leaving

He had to be scratched to learn how to play in our system. That's a laugh.

He overnight tried to take control our of sub heavy defense and was barking vocal commands for all to see, and he did just fine. He was instantly a leader on our blueline.

Green-Hannan was working well as a pairing, but Boudreau split them up to put Schultz back on the top pairing. Can't blame him for jumping ship when the organization has more faith in the sackless wonder than someone that's actually getting the job done. Hannan and Arnott both gave a crap about accountability and it's no surprise they were both let go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad