GDT: 10/10/13 - Winnipeg @ Minnesota - 7:00 PM CDT - FS-N, FS-WI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I prefer Granlund at center and Coyle at wing. Allows Granlund to play to his puck distributing strengths and gets Coyle back to banging along the boards where he can best impact the game.

Bouchard had 50 assists playing the wing. I'd rather have Coyle in the position that requires more defensive responsibility. Let Granlund focus more on his offensive game.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
To be fair, until the Wild start scoring goals, they deserve the reputation.

Currently 20th in the league in Goals For.

We're in 16th for Goals Against, so that's good I suppose. I agree with you though. Until the Wild are in the ~top-15 in goals for, I can't really argue against the low-scoring/boring side. :dunno:

New York is at -14 and is in dead last. Edmonton is in second to last. :laugh:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Oh gawd...it's starting already. I found this gem from the Jet's postgame thread:

He did caveat his post saying the Jet's had a part in the game being "boring". Funny, I didn't find the game boring at all.

Count me in the column of being a Jets fan finding this game boring, although as the poster in our thread said, mostly my team's fault (15 shots for is terrible). The Wild aren't big goal scorers, but they don't give up a lot of goals either, so that's where the reputation comes from. I don't find the Wild boring, necessarily, but that game last night was pretty dull.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
There's a reason they didn't get the 2015 WC. The team isn't there yet. The last couple years they were grinding out close, low-scoring wins. This year seems to be more of the same. That's not very sexy.

While I agree. Long as we are winning IDGAF.

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
Heatley still doesn't seem to fit well... he did play a bit better than before though. At least he seemed to make an effort to anyway. Granlund and Pominville looked very good together though.

This was the best I've seen Heatley look. He's still whiffing on massive shots that would likely go in (two I've seen live, and a third off the top of the bar against Anaheim).

He did more this game, but he's still a B-17 with about two out of 4 engines working out there, and maybe with only one wheel down.

He's just sooooooo slow (though he surprised me a few times at the game where he actually caught up to someone).

If he doesn't bomb a shot more often I think he's more often than not a liability, even with his offseason training.

Long as we are winning IDGAF.

This times eleventy billion.

Winning the game > Anything else.

Also, "high scoring" doesn't necessarily mean "entertaining". Let's not buy into every North American stereotype ever. For casual fans they may like that more but they don't get excited about killing off penalties, or good defensive plays or things like that.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Oh gawd...it's starting already. I found this gem from the Jet's postgame thread:

He did caveat his post saying the Jet's had a part in the game being "boring". Funny, I didn't find the game boring at all.

Oh boy. Canadian fans saying were boring. Guess Edmonton decided to pass the torch.

Let's crush these guys every time we see em. Especially at home. I want it to get so bad that Peggers dont wanna come see the slaughter in our arena anymore :)

Same with those annoying Chicago and Detroit fans.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
• Ballard was a bit of a roller coaster last night. A few terrible, terrible turnovers that could have easily cost the Wild. He needs to play a bit more of a quieter game. Tends to force things that just aren't there.

I noticed that one bad turnover wasn't his fault. Spurgeon did a no look pass behind Ballard that he couldn't control, but it was incredibly hard to notice that it wasn't Ballard. Even still. Other than 1 or 2 plays I thought he did well.

Winning the game > Anything else.

Also, "high scoring" doesn't necessarily mean "entertaining"..

Example: Tampa Bay 11/12. 9th in Goals For and 20th in the standings.

Tampa Bay 12/13 3rd in Goals for and 28th in the standings.

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
Example: Tampa Bay 11/12. 9th in Goals For and 20th in the standings.

Tampa Bay 12/13 3rd in Goals for and 28th in the standings.

Part of that has to do with Stamkos and St. Louis. They don't have the greatest team around them yet manage to win scoring titles and the Rocket Richard trophy and still miss the playoffs :laugh:

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
We completely dominated their team rather than just smothering them as in the Lemaire years. If only we'd let teams score more goals! Should have dresses Scandella I guess.

Stoner and Dumba are both less than completely solid, but they are both sort of specialized on our squad. No one stands and moves people around like stoner and no one on the blue line approaches Dumba in shot strength or offensive instincts. Scandella is essentially a puck mover if he's anything. We have Suter, Brodin, Spurgeon, and Ballard. A little more experience and Dumba will be able pass as well as carry. He will get nothing out of juniors but a workout in which it will be hard to gain mass, which he needs.

Last edited:

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Never understood Stoner haters. The guy is the perfect #6/#7 physical Dman.

I think Wild fans need to watch what other teams have for that role and realize how much more dependable and adaptable Stoner is comparable to those guys. The fact that he was forced into a top-4 role shouldn't take away from the attributes he does bring.

But now I got to think that the Wild keep Dumba, and then just rotate him, Stoner, and Scandella through the bottom pairing. Even with zero injuries, that would be ~55 NHL games for each of them. Not bad for an establish guy like Stoner and two young developing players.

MNjens

Sep 27, 2013
Jets didn't play well last night, but did anyone else love how invisible Seto was out there. Haha I forgot he was even out there until Lapanta called his name in the third period on a check.

Going back to the Defenseman conversation though, I agree with keeping Dumba around and having him, Scandella, and Stoner rotate on the back end. Prosser is still the odd man out. Eventually, I wonder if he we end up just trading Prosser, or Scandella. Maybe, try and package Scandella + prospect for something.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Going back to the Defenseman conversation though, I agree with keeping Dumba around and having him, Scandella, and Stoner rotate on the back end. Prosser is still the odd man out. Eventually, I wonder if he we end up just trading Prosser, or Scandella. Maybe, try and package Scandella + prospect for something.

Prosser is a UFA at the end of the year so I wouldn't bank on anyone wanting him knowing they'll get him for peanuts without having to trade any asset (whether it be pick or prospect) for him. Scandella has flashes of great play but isn't nearly as solid and would just be a quick replacement.

But yes, Dumba should stay up

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
When I say less than solid I mean they aren't top 4 guys yet.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
As long as he plays 50+ games, 12+ minutes per game and sees consistent PP time, I'd like him to stay in the NHL. Not that I don't think he'd improve by playing in Red Deer, but I think he will show enough for the team to take over his development.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
I just don't want him to become a healthy scratch just because of growing pains. Dumba is still young and is going to make some Dumba55 plays, but if he doesn't play then its not going to help.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I think it's clear he will play quite a bit...enough to make staying worth while. Sure, he'll sit at times like every rookie does, but he belongs on this team.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad