1,100 career points for Anze Kopitar — and they all came with the LAKings!

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It's funny, you venture elsewhere on this site and you have people aggressively telling you Anze wouldn't even be on the Kings mount rushmore, that's how overlooked he is, it's Gretzky, Dionne, Robataille, and pick one more depending on poster's age.

Reactions: Telos

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
It's funny, you venture elsewhere on this site and you have people aggressively telling you Anze wouldn't even be on the Kings mount rushmore, that's how overlooked he is, it's Gretzky, Dionne, Robataille, and pick one more depending on poster's age.
The most consistent, dependable King that ever was. I'm convinced he would have had a couple of 100+ pt seasons if he had linemates like this earlier in his career.

FrozenKing18

Goongala! Goongala!
Aug 11, 2009
SoCal
Kings Legend Andrew Bodnarchuk

But seriously, I would love to see Kopitar pass Dionne. I feel that if he had played just a bit more selfish, he’d be knocking on the all-time points door by now. I know people have taken notice and acknowledged Kopitar’s greatness post cup runs, but I feel he still gets underrated by people.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Do not understand having Gretzky up there , he will always be an oiler, similar to having a monument for Clemens at yankee stadium even though he help win the World Series just doesn’t seem right
I think Gretzky because of what he did for hockey in the south and how he put hockey on the map in LA. First cup final appearance is big too.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I think Gretzky because of what he did for hockey in the south and how he put hockey on the map in LA. First cup final appearance is big too.
Yeah, Gretzky may not have won a cup with the Kings, and LA had a hockey team, but he had such an impact on hockey in southern California, I think it would be a disservice to omit him.

Reactions: Nasti

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Lombardi, Brown, Kopitar, Doughty, Quick, Richards, Carter

Cup > else
If it's players only, I am all for Brown, Kopitar, Doughty and Quick as the Kings' Mount Rushmore.

Lombardi gets something different, like say the Lombardi Monument!

1703640549567.jpeg

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
There's hot takes and then there are blazing forest fire, everything is burning takes like that one above.

More fuel to the fire... Keep Brown, Kopitar, Quick, and replace Doughty with Gretzky.
Gretzky deserves to be on the NHL's mount rushmore, but not LA's

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Gretzky deserves to be on the NHL's mount rushmore, but not LA's
I somewhat agree, but then before Gretzky the Kings were partially a joke of a franchise. He legitimized hockey in California, and without him there is no San Jose, Anaheim, Arizona, Florida, etc. Any non-conventional market likely doesn't have a team without Gretzky in LA, and yeah that's important league wide but it means a ton to the Kings as well. It took a team with limited to no real success and raised fan expectations to "win the cup".

Reactions: King'sPawn

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I somewhat agree, but then before Gretzky the Kings were partially a joke of a franchise. He legitimized hockey in California, and without him there is no San Jose, Anaheim, Arizona, Florida, etc. Any non-conventional market likely doesn't have a team without Gretzky in LA, and yeah that's important league wide but it means a ton to the Kings as well. It took a team with limited to no real success and raised fan expectations to "win the cup".
then he should be on the Mt Rushmore for San Jose, Anaheim, Arizona and Florida.

No one knows how long it would have taken to get the game in California to a state it is now if Gretzky didn't go to LA, but I think it would have gotten there eventually. Maybe he goes to another southern state and things are better in Houston and Atlanta? So many alt-universe options. I do get your point, and he is for sure a top King. Just no a top 4 IMO.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
No one knows how long it would have taken to get the game in California to a state it is now if Gretzky didn't go to LA, but I think it would have gotten there eventually. Maybe he goes to another southern state and things are better in Houston and Atlanta? So many alt-universe options. I do get your point, and he is for sure a top King. Just no a top 4 IMO.
In this land of hypothetical scenarios it's just as likely, if not more so, that if Gretzky never comes to LA, there is no Kings in LA past the 90s with McNall as the owner.

Reactions: King'sPawn

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
In this land of hypothetical scenarios it's just as likely, if not more so, that if Gretzky never comes to LA, there is no Kings in LA past the 90s with McNall as the owner.
would not call it as likely at all. LA is such a large market Bettman would have done whatever he could to keep a team here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad