Post-Game Talk: 0

3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The thing with Trouba is I think he would pair well with a puck mover like Gustafsson. Let EG rush pucks and Trouba stays at home. Miller looks so much better with the smooth skating Schneider. That pair gets me hot.

If Trouba would calm down his game a bit I think that is accurate. His game is unfortunately more aggressive in style so he almost needs someone to help cover for him at times.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
The best is they act like they're the only team on the ice that deserves calls. I've never seen a team run more intereferences off draws in my life. On forecheck too. It's ridiculous.

Rod popping a blood vessel on the bench screaming at a call as the Canes get eliminated by a "worse" team every year. Best coach in the league though. Not sure why he gets so much credit when Ive never seen them make an adjustment. It starts at the top.

This is why it is impossible to be any kind of a fan of them.

It's beyond frustrating watching their games with that idiot play by play guy and Tripp Tracy. It's a non-stop whine and homer fest. I can't imagine any fan of hockey who isn't a Hurricanes fan being able to put up with it.

At least when Forslund called their games, Tracy couldn't whine and carry on as much because John knew the game. Now it's just plain ridiculous.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Agree but having nhl players in the forward group and slotted correctly has created better options for breakouts, less getting dominated in our own end and just a better overall game. Having Bonino, Pitlick etc getting their ass handed to them routinely and us relying on 1.5 lines for offense was killing us, all lines can contribute in both ends now
I said for a while though that this would change once they made moves. Everybody knew they were getting a 3C. Would Drury have acquired a RW if Wheeler was healthy? I always wonder if Wheeler was the plan all year.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Goodrow and Lindgren had their best games of the season in the biggest game of the season. I have my issues with both but no one should be surprised by that.

Lindgren was awesome (first genuinely great game he has had all year.) Lucky assist but that makes up for the shift he had before the goal was scored where he had a phenomenal shift in the OZ and they somehow didn't score. Won some crucial battles along the walls late in the 3rd and got the puck out (and the one he lost, he went and got the puck back almost immediately.)

Goodrow was awful. Carolina is probably the worst matchup for him as he's always chasing the play and they're really good at keeping the puck when they get it. That entire line sucked but he was at the forefront of the suckage.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Goodrow was awful. Carolina is probably the worst matchup for him as he's always chasing the play and they're really good at keeping the puck when they get it. That entire line sucked but he was at the forefront of the suckage.
Brodzinski was terrible too. you'd think he'd do fine against a team like Carolina but f*** man he was awful.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Lindgren was awesome (first genuinely great game he has had all year.) Lucky assist but that makes up for the shift he had before the goal was scored where he had a phenomenal shift in the OZ and they somehow didn't score. Won some crucial battles along the walls late in the 3rd and got the puck out (and the one he lost, he went and got the puck back almost immediately.)

Whats the basis on him sucking yesterday? I thought he defended and PK'd well, which are his primary job description. That line was hurt at even strength with Brodzinski in over Rempe though for sure.

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
Goodrow is always out there late because Rangers want 2 centers. So if Mika and CK are out, Goodrow replaces JR. If Vinny is out, Goodrow backs him up. Don't know if it depends on what circle the draw is in. And don't know if Wennberg is good on faceoffs or not or if the coaches trust him yet in order for him to be that 2nd center. But that's why Goodrow always seems to be out there late in games.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Whats the basis on him sucking yesterday? I thought he defended and PK'd well, which are his primary job description. That line was hurt at even strength with Brodzinski in over Rempe though for sure.

He didn't defend well at all. That entire line got eaten and a good chunk of what was generated against the Rangers 5v5 came with them on the ice. Thats not a good thing when they're playing the minutes that they got. Big part of that was on him not being able to either win a battle or even get in position to win one to begin with. He chases against everyone but it was glaring yesterday as no other team are the cycling menaces that the Canes are.

He's been good on the PK for most of the season so I'll give you that, but that isn't enough. It wasn't just him as I don't think Brodz or Vesey has particularly strong games either but he was a bigger culprit than those 2.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
It seemed like the 4th line was always on the ice, too, which I hated.
Probably got stuck out there too often

Need Rempe to help the forecheck and cycle

I'm interested to see how Roslovic goes with that Zibanejad line...I feel like he helped it a lot by being a pretty good/shifty skater who is comfortable carrying the puck, but not as much of a puck hog as Panarin, and was able to get in on the forecheck fast enough to disrupt things and try to make plays

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
The fourth line is completely different when you put Brodzinski who is not an nhler in there instead of Rempe or Edstrom who should be up and playing while Rempe is out.

Carolina doesn’t have a star player. They just don’t. They don’t have a star forward or a star dman or a star goalie.

We have one of each. That core will never beat our core in a 7 game series.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Brodzinski isn't a winger. He's a natural center and has been for some time. Let's also understand that Goodrow isn't exactly an adept distributor of the puck.
Less concerned about their offensive zone abilities and more that they couldnt' get the puck out of their own zone at all

I believe someone mentioned that teams only have a limited number of callups for the rest of the year so the Rangers probably don't want to burn a callup on Edstrom or even Berard etc right now.

Reactions: NYR Viper

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Less concerned about their offensive zone abilities and more that they couldnt' get the puck out of their own zone at all

I believe someone mentioned that teams only have a limited number of callups for the rest of the year so the Rangers probably don't want to burn a callup on Edstrom or even Berard etc right now.

They have the cap space to carry Edstrom as a spare right now, but I'm sure they would prefer he be playing games in the AHL then sitting in the NHL.

Reactions: McRanger92

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
These kinds of games are no fun but i'm glad we could beat Carolina at their own schtick at least.
So true, we even scored our lone goal from a bad angle shot that went off d man’s skate, doesn’t get more grindy

I scared the crap out of the dog yelling about this no-call. There were at least 2-3 just like this. I didnt like how the refs were casually waiving off every icing on the Rangers and, yet the Canes were barely skating back. Im only complaining about the refs because we won.

We've won 7 of the last 8 in Carolina I think I heard the broadcast say. Not sure if that includes the playoffs, but historically we win in Carolina.

If it takes place in the middle of the ice, leads to a good scoring chance, or if the interference is via a big hit they'll call it. Otherwise the refs pretty much allow it because it slows the play down and you actually see less big hits and injuries because of allowing the interference. Same with defenders being allowed to skate out of their lanes a bit and shove forwards on dump ins/chip ins. Slowing the players as they head into the boards is seen as a good thing by the league higher ups

Holding and interference have alot more leeway along the boards. Skjei finished his check and pinned on Kakko along the boards for like 10 seconds after the puck was gone at one point. Instead of helplessly struggling due to lack of strength, Kakko really needs to whack Skjei a bit there or at least shove him during and after the holding to send a message to Skjei and especially the refs.

Last edited:

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
I've gone on about it before, but it bears repeating: Vinny Trocheck is amazing.

Good scorer, there's nothing he does poorly, effective grit and hustle, he can facilitate with all manner of linemates, and he's cheap.

He shouldn't be getting paid what he is. Bo Horvat is making over 8 and they have similar profiles.

For once, the hockey world got it wrong and we got it right.
Drury's Choice.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad