Half-Assed GDT: ♪ @ ★ Game #38 (My First GDT Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbkbghockey

Aug 26, 2008
at the ice rink, USA
First: Glad we picked up the SO win against DAL on Saturday. The NHL has quickly adapted to a game that favors the style of play and team makeup of Dallas over the Blues.

One big issue I saw last night was that the Blues are so ridged in the offensive zone, while Dallas had more creative plays in the O-zone. Many of the Stars' chances came from carrying the puck into the zone, including D-men, then dishing to open players cutting into the slot on the weak side or in the quiet areas. That completely contrasted the Blues dump-and-chase or shot-pass and deflect into the zone. StL got few chances because they essentially kept giving the Stars the puck. The faster Dallas team got to the loose puck and turned it back up ice very quickly. The Blues got one of their few scoring chances on one of the few times that the Blues did take the puck into the zone- JayBo carried the puck through the neutral zone, into the Dallas end of the ice to the FO circle then dished to Vladi for a quality scoring chance.

It was hard to watch, and even more frustrating that Hitch/coaching staff never adjusted to the pace of the game or changed up the zone entry plays. :rant:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Watching Dallas play is like watching some kid play NHL16 cross crease passes till you score.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
This game bothered me the most of any game I've watched this year. This game was a microcosm of the Blues in the playoffs. We can win a game our two with our talent, but once the other team adjusts to our "system" we simply have no response. Yes, we looked like crap in a lot of ways, but so many issues in this game were a direct result of Dallas simply closing the correct gaps to stifle our transition. This team is going nowhere with Hitch behind the bench, he is incapable of any type of in-game adjustment other then simple line juggling.

Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou
Actually it completely negates your notion that he's not an offensive threat.

Not really? If Backes the number 3 offensive threat on your team, when the offense is already completely reliant on one or two players, then it shows how poorly balanced the offense is as a whole. Backes is not a true offensive threat, let's be real here.

Relying on guys like Backes to produce offensively is what leads to first round exits every single year.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
First: Glad we picked up the SO win against DAL on Saturday. The NHL has quickly adapted to a game that favors the style of play and team makeup of Dallas over the Blues.

One big issue I saw last night was that the Blues are so ridged in the offensive zone, while Dallas had more creative plays in the O-zone. Many of the Stars' chances came from carrying the puck into the zone, including D-men, then dishing to open players cutting into the slot on the weak side or in the quiet areas. That completely contrasted the Blues dump-and-chase or shot-pass and deflect into the zone. StL got few chances because they essentially kept giving the Stars the puck. The faster Dallas team got to the loose puck and turned it back up ice very quickly. The Blues got one of their few scoring chances on one of the few times that the Blues did take the puck into the zone- JayBo carried the puck through the neutral zone, into the Dallas end of the ice to the FO circle then dished to Vladi for a quality scoring chance.

It was hard to watch, and even more frustrating that Hitch/coaching staff never adjusted to the pace of the game or changed up the zone entry plays. :rant:

I think pairing Bouwmeester with Shattenkirk and Parayko with Petro will help - Shattenkirk dishes the puck to a streaking JBo :)naughty:).

Our system needs to change to allow our players to hit the blue line with speed, and for the dmen to be able to choose run over pass like a QB in American Football would.

We should have the players on both sides of the puck to be able to limit our dump and chase game and start passing up ice, or skating the puck across the line - we just have to be able to teach that system and then the players have to execute the more fluid positioning.

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
I think pairing Bouwmeester with Shattenkirk and Parayko with Petro will help - Shattenkirk dishes the puck to a streaking JBo :)naughty:).

Our system needs to change to allow our players to hit the blue line with speed, and for the dmen to be able to choose run over pass like a QB in American Football would.

We should have the players on both sides of the puck to be able to limit our dump and chase game and start passing up ice, or skating the puck across the line - we just have to be able to teach that system and then the players have to execute the more fluid positioning.

We all knew Hitch wasn't going to change.

Just the same ole same ole. Very good regular season record. Unable to turn up that other gear when playoffs come. No leadership. Team is spent by the spring.

Lol

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Not really? If Backes the number 3 offensive threat on your team, when the offense is already completely reliant on one or two players, then it shows how poorly balanced the offense is as a whole. Backes is not a true offensive threat, let's be real here.

Relying on guys like Backes to produce offensively is what leads to first round exits every single year.
Backes has basically been a 25 goal, 55 point guy over the last 8 seasons.

I can understand the argument that you want better as your third best scoring threat, especially if the team is bent on using him in a shut-down role, but how is a guy who puts up those numbers not an offensive threat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad