Half-Assed GDT: ♪ @ ★ Game #38 (My First GDT Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
IMO this game emphasizes the need for upgrades on our 3rd line. Top line was relied on too heavily last night, and the top guys were too tired. We needed something out of line 3... at least some good backchecking. Jaskin needs to sit for berglund asap, and Jaden needs to get back to knock a someone down the lineup.

Defense played great considering how badly the forwards played.

Man, this whole team didn't show up. No way you can pinpoint any one single thing.

What a ****-show. All of it.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I feel bad for Allen and Elliott, both have been playing great, yet the players in front of them have been playing like they don't even want to be there.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
How surprising that we didn't score a goal. This is basically what we will get in the playoffs on the road against a good team. They can't score and I don't blame them because Dallas is a lot better, as was Chicago, LA and even the Wild.

Today we looked like post-season mode. Shut&beated down.

BiggestE22

Jul 6, 2014
Dallas Texas
You keep saying this...

The Blues hammered them the 1st game

The Blues outplayed them the 2nd game, just had a hot goalie to go against.

This game...sure. Blues sucked today, no way around it.

Blues 2
Stars 1

The stars can't put up insane numbers against the Blues...so obviously the Blues are doing something right

1st game B2B vs fresh STL team. Post-break sluggish 2nd game. Both in STL..Tonight seems like the norm if they face each other going forward

Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou
Bernie in post game: "Dallas was the much more aggressive team... you know, this was a playoff atmosphere tonight."

I guess last night wasn't "playoff atmosphere"
:cry::cry::cry::cry:

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
It will be quite nice when we don't have to have both Paajarvi and Jaskin in the lineup.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I've said the same thing last year and I was right. I don't see any reason how the Blues could beat Dallas or Chicago over 7 games. I'd give Colorado more chance in doing so.

His response was basically "my team finally won, so obviously this is how they are supposed to play".

This lose doesn't change my mind on anything. Last year I watched the Hawks crap the bed game after game and still get it done. Does this mean anything for Stl...no but after how good they looked last year going into the POs...well let's just say there is zero they can do from now till April to sway my hopes one way or the other. Same thing with Dallas.....remember how insane Nashville was last year...unbeatable?

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
It will be quite nice when we don't have to have both Paajarvi and Jaskin in the lineup.

Had some high hopes for Jaskin. Really disappointed. Can't say I'll be all that unhappy to see him replaced with the arrivals of Berglund and Schwartz.

Fabbri stays though. He just has IT.

They need to sit or trade Brouwer for whatever they can. I'd still like to see Paajarvi on the 4th line.

Schwartz-Stastny-Tarasenko
Steen-Backes-Eriksson (or someone similar)
Berglund-Lehtera-Fabbri
Paajarvi/Upshall-Brodziak-Reaves

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Fabbri has too much talent to be on the 3rd line.

Jaskin has been a ghost all year, nothing new this game.

Benn is a little soccer ***** with, but again nothing new there. He got away with a cross check to score which again is typical hockey. Maybe in 100 years from now the NHL will put the Refs in high chairs similar to Vollyball refs so they're not skating around getting in the way and missing half the plays on the ice.

The consensus is that Pietrangelo is our best defensive player on the roster. To that point I will agree. He never has and never will be the difference maker consistently on the score board. Shattenkirk is already and it appears that Parayko will be. Parayko was the best def for the Blues this game all the way around.

That said is why I still trade Pietrangelo every day of the week above the others if there's a deal to get another superstar F.

I thought the Stars lucked out to get a point last night. They earned the 2 tonight. It sucks they get 3/4 possible points after lucking into one last night.

Its only one game but the 3-4 year trend continues that when the game gets chippy/physical the Blues fold.

Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou
Can Fabbri be our future #1 center? He might be too undersized but he has all of the right tools. He'll be a terrific second line winger if he doesn't make the cut at center.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Can Fabbri be our future #1 center? He might be too undersized but he has all of the right tools. He'll be a terrific second line winger if he doesn't make the cut at center.

The one thing that irks me is the size argument. It's not just about Fabbri or this board but the "physicality" argument seems to go both way...well player A needs to be in the center to avoid the physical board play. Player b has to be a winger because he's too small to survive as a center.

Unless we make a trade, the Blues are missing a lot of talent in the middle...I doubt Fabbri will center this year but by the end of his ELC...well see him there. It's been reported the only person keeping Fabbri from being a center is Fabbri.

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule

All Fabbri needs to do to be a Number 1C for us is put on some muscle. I honestly believe him and Barbs will be the 1-2 punch down the middle in 2 years with Lehtera taking the 3rd line.

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii
Not gonna draw too many conclusions from this one. Looked like one team was trying out there and the scoreboard reflected it. There aren't back to backs in the playoffs.

Cold Medicine

Apr 4, 2014
Not gonna draw too many conclusions from this one. Looked like one team was trying out there and the scoreboard reflected it. There aren't back to backs in the playoffs.

The Blues have an equal amount of rest or more rest for every game they play against the Stars this season. Every Blues vs Stars game this season is either the first night of a back-to-back (last night) or the second night of a back-to-back (the other four games) for the Stars.

Date|Blues' Days Rest|Stars' Days Rest
Dec. 12th|1|0
Dec. 26th|3|3
Dec. 27th|0|0
Feb. 16th|1|0
Mar. 12th|0|0

It's hard to draw conclusions about how well the teams match up when this happens.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I agree that Fabbri belongs in the top six, actually. That means, when fully healthy, our third line goes something to the effect of Berglund-Lehtera-Brouwer.

Am I the only one concerned by that?

trevorftw

Voice of Reason
Sep 7, 2009
Saint Louis
I agree that Fabbri belongs in the top six, actually. That means, when fully healthy, our third line goes something to the effect of Berglund-Lehtera-Brouwer.

Am I the only one concerned by that?

I am too. Lehtera and Brouwer don't have the stamina to backcheck like they need to in Hitch's system. Even with reduced minutes, they're getting exposed, and currently not putting up enough offense to offset that. I think Berglund will be an upgrade to Jaskin though.

Really starting to miss Sobotka. I'd welcome him as Brouwer's replacement, and try to limit Letera's center duties. Is there a player like him (high energy, good defensively, center/winger with limited offensive upside) out there on the block?

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Honestly I don't think we can complain about Fabbri's usage. He's being put in situations that should help him succeed. We don't need to throw him to the wolves and start playing him huge minutes. I'd rather limit his minutes now and try to keep him fresh for the stretch run and the playoffs. We're going to need secondary scoring and he's going to be a key part of that.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Fabbri is STILL labeled as a "C" whenever the on-screen graphics show his name. Management still sees him as the center of the future, and Jaskin could very well join that as a Backes replacement.

Fabbri-Lehtera-Barbashev/Jaskin could turn out to be very good centers, and that's without making any trades or counting who we draft this year. If we manage to draft a 1C in the next two years, I could eventually see XXX-Fabbri-Barbashev/Jaskin being an elite center group.

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Fabbri is STILL labeled as a "C" whenever the on-screen graphics show his name. Management still sees him as the center of the future, and Jaskin could very well join that as a Backes replacement.

Fabbri-Lehtera-Barbashev/Jaskin could turn out to be very good centers, and that's without making any trades or counting who we draft this year. If we manage to draft a 1C in the next two years, I could eventually see XXX-Fabbri-Barbashev/Jaskin being an elite center group.

Yep yep, the only reason Fabbri isn't a center right now is because he said himself he isn't ready. So we got to be patient with the kid, let him choose when it's time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad