• 2018 Off-Season Thread •

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I will be very interested to see how Jarmo handles the dilemma of Bjork and Sonny. Do they need a better center between them? I am not sure. Certainly Sonny responded during the home stretch playing with Nick as his center. Do they need a coach with more sophisticated understanding of offense? Those two guys are pivotal to where we go from here.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Elvis is itching to go to NHL. You can buy out his last year if he's willing to part ways with Lugano, he makes 300K or less.
Plus you have to think that hes seen what happened in this playoff series, and knows that his door to the nhl may be wide open right now, where 6 months ago, things didnt look that way .

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
That's too long, if he proves he can't play then the entire league knows it and he's a unmovable object, then you're buying him out or packaging pieces you don't wanna move to get rid of him.

You're under the false assumption that some team will accept him. The tape exists of his play post-injury. There is no market for his services at this point. There are only two options as it stands. See if he can recover back to his previous self or buy him out.

Reactions: hardkorejackets

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Plus you have to think that hes seen what happened in this playoff series, and knows that his door to the nhl may be wide open right now, where 6 months ago, things didnt look that way .
When he signed that deal he had that JArmo dismissal interview and Forsberg, Dansk, Korpi, McBackup and Bob in lineup.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
Elvis is itching to go to NHL. You can buy out his last year if he's willing to part ways with Lugano, he makes 300K or less.

If that's the case, then by all means get him over here. That said, he would likely need some time at Cleveland to adjust to the rink size before being a viable option in net here.

Last edited:

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Lw’er with amazing hands around the net.
If (99 percent we don’t move him) we move Foligno, JVR is your replacement. But I’m not so sure TOR views him as moveable.
JVR is an UFA at seasons end.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
tion in net here..tT

If that's the case, then by all means get him over here. That said, he would likely need some time at Cleveland to adjust to the rink size before being a viable option in net here.
Why? Bob jumped straight from KHL to Flyers ice as a starter. And we can't develop goalies to save our lives. Ian Clark methods are old fashioned - "Get big!". Don't ruin what Elvis learned with Lawrence.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Why? Bob jumped straight from KHL to Flyers ice as a starter. And we can't develop goalies to save our lives. Ian Clark methods are old fashioned - "Get big!". Don't ruin what Elvis learned with Lawrence.
Also, Korpi doesnt look like hes progressing. So yeah, Can Larsen, Clark, and Madden. Keep shaw, and Torts absolutely needs to bring in a bednar type coach to work with powerplay, and known to develop young players.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Bring back Rick Nash! (And Nash needs to give a discount to make it work ) Also keep in mind, I know a lot of you guys will be against him but he's th reason why I became a Columbus fan so he'll always be my favorite.

Tavares is a dream. So any interest in Stastny as the number 2 center? If Dubois is struggling, bump him to number 2. Only thing is he's 32 and his contract could get ugly in a year or 2.

If Vegas don't sign them, any interest in Neal or Perron (Jarmo was head scout when he was drafted right?Maybe likes him still)Season might have been a fluke for Perron.
Also although he played 70 games or so, is he injury prone?

Gilley

Apr 24, 2018

Ian Clark doesn't have the skill to develop young goalies. His methods arent old fashioned, they are non-existent. He never played the game. He has zero frame of reference to prepare a goalie who plays the game, let alone the playoffs. Only cares about catering to his meal ticket "Bob". The time has finally come where regular season success means nothing -- thank goodness. It took multiple years of Bob getting lit up in the playoffs to get to this point. How come Forsberg was good enough to win a championship in Cleveland and good enough to play well for Chicago, but not good enough to back up Bob?? Forsberg and Korpi were great in Cleveland because they had excellent teaching/goalie coaching. Bring the Cleveland goalie coach to Columbus. He actually played the game, has a track record of developing young goalies, excellent NHL career statistics, and even was an NHL all-star and Stanley Cup winner. Ian Clark only has beer league statistics at best.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Only cares about catering to his meal ticket "Bob".
I know, he almost ruined Bob with "you need to get big" issue. Bob bulked up and fell apart, thank god he moved on from him.
Btw Ian Clark is teaching young russian kids under "Bobrovsky NHL coach" in the summer, making big bucks over there. And Bob is training in Austria with Santeri Hilli and Hannu Nykvist. Idk where Korpi is training offseason.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Tavares is in all likelihood a pipe dream, due to our potential cap problems two years down the line. Because of that, here's how I go after him if he makes it to UFA: Assuming an $80 mil cap, if we buy out Dubi and don't resign one of Cole/Calvert, we could have around 13-14 mil in cap space by my calculations. Therefore, I would offer Tavares a 1 year max salary "go for a cup" contract. I'm pretty sure we would have the cap space for that. My god would he be a good fit. I don't know if management would offer that kind of contract, though. I need to go through our options some more, because this isn't super well thought out by me.

I'll post my full 2+ year plan sometime in the next few days. :laugh:

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
I'd sign all three RFA's. The only UFA I'd consider is Calvert. Everyone is saying it's all about playoff success now for the Jackets....well, Calvert seems to step up his game in the playoffs. He's valuable as a guy that can play up when needed and kill penalties too. If there's another team that wants to overpay for him, let them, but otherwise get something done. No way to Letestu - the guy was largely invisible and turns 34 next season. Cole was ok, but we have several young d-men ready to play NHL hockey.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Soooo wtf happened with the whole Jack Johnson fiasco? Did we not keep him for his playoff acumen? I get the top 6 is deep, but defense clearly wasn't the strong point of the team this series.

*Rumor* had it we could've gotten a late 1st. Whether that is true or not may never be known, but we got absolutely nothing for him only to let him rot in the press box and will now walk for nothing this summer.

I know JJ has left us scratching our heads more often than not, but he is a GAMER in the playoffs. He got a raw deal at the end. Jarmo botched that scenario.

Jack deserved better.

***Before anyone says anything, no, I am not saying JJ in the lineup would've meant a different outcome. But the whole thing from the possible dealing him at the deadline all the way up to the series where he never saw the ice, was botched IMO.

end rant

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
What to do with Dubi? He is at $5.85M for 3 more years! Probably the worst contract on the team. At least Foligno stepped up last night and seems to be better in the room.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
Soooo wtf happened with the whole Jack Johnson fiasco? Did we not keep him for his playoff acumen? I get the top 6 is deep, but defense clearly wasn't the strong point of the team this series.

*Rumor* had it we could've gotten a late 1st. Whether that is true or not may never be known, but we got absolutely nothing for him only to let him rot in the press box and will now walk for nothing this summer.

I know JJ has left us scratching our heads more often than not, but he is a GAMER in the playoffs. He got a raw deal at the end. Jarmo botched that scenario.

Jack deserved better.

***Before anyone says anything, no, I am not saying JJ in the lineup would've meant a different outcome. But the whole thing from the possible dealing him at the deadline all the way up to the series where he never saw the ice, was botched IMO.

end rant

I agree. Jack will sure clear out the front of the net.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Will they have to play CC Rider when Elvis comes in?
IDK, what would you play for this guy? I say Godfather theme. :D

2000b4834034793.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad