“The best player won the series for them,” said Sutter.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
I'd say with average goaltending Cgy wins this series.
It's not like Edmonton received particularily above-average tending either. Smith was very beatable in this series.
Gaudreau, Tkachuck, Lindholm, Mangiapane, Tofoli, etc. just didn't get it done when it mattered most. Edmonton's top guys did.

Reactions: PaPaDee

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Yea the 1st, and 2nd, and 3rd and 4th and 5th and so on. And the worst player in the series played 60mins a night

Reactions: DegeN9

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
This is the coach who watched his top line get mismatched starting in the second period of Game 2 and did absolutely nothing about it for the rest of the series.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Ill say this, McDavid had some very average moments this series. I dare say this wasnt a great series by his standards.

Moreso on the PP, where he was trying to force passes to Draisaitl. There was a reason the Oilers PP was like 1-15 through the first 4 games.

At evens, he had moments where he was more easily contained than usual. Wasit game planning? Trying to do too much?

If he gets back to his usual self on the PP, the points are going to increase even more

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Mcdavid was the first to admit he had a poor game by his standards last night. So... Maybe Sutter is referring to drai and his domination on one leg?

I don't know how he could imply mcdavid beat them when drai utterly owned them. Hell Hyman and Kane were scoring at will.

Reactions: Duke74

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Ill say this, McDavid had some very average moments this series. I dare say this wasnt a great series by his standards.

Moreso on the PP, where he was trying to force passes to Draisaitl. There was a reason the Oilers PP was like 1-15 through the first 4 games.

At evens, he had moments where he was more easily contained than usual. Wasit game planning? Trying to do too much?

If he gets back to his usual self on the PP, the points are going to increase even more
I feel calgary adjusted well defensively on mcdavid in the last 2 games, backlund was really good this series. key was other players stepped up in those and contributed in a major way and markstrom was an absolute pumpkin

PROGFAN66

Feb 10, 2019
A good coach would find a way to shut him down.

Calgary couldn't contain both Leon and Connor. However, I heard from one of the analysts say that one way to at least to attempt to contain McDavid would try to trap or clog him in the neutral zone.

I was seeing that Draisaitl would start the rush and then pass to McDavid with speed letting him gain entry. It was a nice adjustment the Oilers use when they are both paired.

The only way to stop McDavid would be tackle him seriously.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It’s kind of a strange comment when McDavid acknowledged himself that he played poorly in the fifth game. Especially when Draisaitl put up 4 assists in that game including doing the heavy lifting on McDavids OT goal.
Draisaitl was far and away the best player on either team in that clinching game.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
The only way to stop McDavid and Oilers speed was to play tight checking like the first period of game 5.

But as soon as the second period started they went back to river hockey.

If you blow three 2 goal leads, it means you are not playing solid defensively.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
I would say it was more Markstrom than McDavid. Looking into the numbers Calgary outshot and out chanced the Oilers by a pretty good margin. They badly lost the PDO battle though.

Having watched most of the series it didn’t feel like Calgary was playing as good as their numbers suggest however.

Last edited:

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
A bar called Cowboys in Calgary, sent their employees as distractions and free advertising lol

Heh, that makes sense I was having a tough time figuring it out

I would say that is wasn't free advertising, but probably still worth it in the end 😉

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad