“The best player won the series for them,” said Sutter.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Everyone agrees he's saying Calgary is the better team right? I mean I'd agree but not in this series. And I wouldn't have said what Sutter said.

I picked Calgary to win the cup...but goaltending.

Reactions: DamonDRW

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Kane, Hyman, Nuge, Bouchard & Nurse wouldn’t be half as effective offensively without McDavid & Draisaitl. 2 players won this series for the Oilers.
Yes, if you remove 2 of the best players in the game from a squad, the offence will go down - that shouldn't be a shocker to anyone. The point is, the series was won by the Oilers as a whole and that was demonstrated on the ice and on the scoresheet. All 5 of the listed players contributed extremely well.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
If you swapped McDavid & Draisaitl with Tkachuck, Gaudreau & Lindholm, the Flames would’ve won in 5.
If you swap MacKinnon and Makar with O'Reilly and Tarasenko, the Blues would be up in the series.
If you swapped Crosby and Malkin with the top players from the other team, they probably win no Cups.
If you swapped Gretzky and Messier with the top players from the other team, they don't win all those Cups.

Point is, so what? My aunt doesn't have balls so she's still my aunt, not my uncle.
The Oilers TEAM beat the Calgary TEAM. Calling it anything else is just drenching your face in salty tears so Sutter can go back to his cattle ranch and drench his salty tears in horse manure.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Last change and twice Lucic was out against McDavid. With the opportunity to make perfectly good line changes that wouldn't have disrupted the play.

Sutter might have beat himself.

This whole best player thing is quite ridiculous considering Drai was a full point per game better than Connor. Hyman/Kane with 11 goals. Nuge 6 points.

I guess technically he's not wrong if you want to say the best player in the world won that game, as technically McDavid did score the game winner. But there seems to be a lot of talk about him and not the others.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
While technically true with the OT winner...did Draisaitl, Kane and Hyman not rip Calgary to shreds?

Not to mention contributions from Nuge, Bouchard and Nurse throughout..

The entire EDM team was just flat out better than their counterparts. Which makes CGY fans crying about that disallowed goal even crazier. It was a 4-1 series victory for EDM. It really wasn't even that close. Just about every top player for CGY disappeared.

Reactions: Tom Brady and Skar

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Sutter's analysis is a bit simplistic imo, especially when his team just got bounced in 5 games.
Draisaitl had 4 assists in that elimination game and leads the team in points so saying that McDavid won it is just not true. Hyman and Kane also played great.
I'd say:
1. Edmonton's best players played great.
2. Calgary's best players including the line with three 40 goal scorers and Markstrom were just not good at all.

In the end, when you lose in 5 games you can't blame it all on one player.

Reactions: MillanDynasty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad