“I’m not allowed to ever use the word rebuild” - Calgary Flames

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
At this point they should just rename this year's Heritage Classic "The Outhouse Bowl." Both Alberta's team have absolutely reeked lately. Get ready for some of the worst NHL hockey you've ever seen this Sunday.

• Haha
Reactions: Brookbank

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Because in the NA sports atmohsphere, people dont attend the game even if they know the team is intentiionally tanking, the fans loyalty isnt as high as say European soccer clubs.
Add to the top of that, NHL is a gate revenue driven business, if attendancy drops by like 10% each game on average, that's millions over the course of 3-4 years

The Rangers sucked for 2 seasons, got Panarin fell on to their laps thanks to the geographical advantage and decide to accelerate the process over one summer. That is not usual and definitely not happening with teams up in Alberta

Yes, but at the time of committing to the rebuild they didn't know they were getting Panarin. And they traded a ton of players. Pretty much everyone but Kreider and Lundqvist that was part of the core. Really wish they didn't just give away Miller for no reason.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Rebuilds cost your franchise $10s of millions of dollars and generally damage the careers of everyone involved with the team.

It's easy for fans to do on NHL 2023 when you can simulate a season in a few minutes, but it's a whole other thing in real life when you're looking at 6-8 years of losing and you're dealing with real people and real money.

Rebuilds only ever happen when a team has no other choice and making the playoffs is already basically impossible with the existing roster.

This x100000. The majority of fans don't ever think that there's a bunch of people across the league that want to have good resumes.

Maybe I'm... different, and more into prospects than most fans, but rebuilding is much more interesting that treadmilling. Even tanking is more interesting.

The Flames could have traded Tkachuk for top prospects and then sucked for a couple of years to have a refreshed young lineup for 2025.

I look at teams like Sharks and Blackhawks and although they suck now their future is so much brighter.

You're a hardcore fan, not a customer or an employee.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
The Flames are in a bad spot right now. Boring team. No legit stars. Declining attendance and fan interest.

At least the new arena deal is finalized I guess. By the time it’s finished the team may be decent.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
It’s the fans. They go to the games regardless.

Half-empty arenas and $10 tickets is the only way to make ownership change.

This is the answer.

At this point they should just rename this year's Heritage Classic "The Outhouse Bowl." Both Alberta's team have absolutely reeked lately. Get ready for some of the worst NHL hockey you've ever seen this Sunday.

With McDavid, the Oilers will turn it around, the Flames are f***ed.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I’m a wild fan stuck in the same existence. I mean this in the best way possible: I think you guys might suck enough to break the cycle.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I’m a wild fan stuck in the same existence. I mean this in the best way possible: I think you guys might suck enough to break the cycle.
We traded either this years pick or next years to move Monahan who has a many goals this year as our leading scorer. It is going to be a LONG time before we break it.

Reactions: Devonator

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
We traded either this years pick or next years to move Monahan who has a many goals this year as our leading scorer. It is going to be a LONG time before we break it.
Agreed but I think you’re going to is my point. Congrats. You guys finally suck. I hope to get there one day as well.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
This x100000. The majority of fans don't ever think that there's a bunch of people across the league that want to have good resumes.

You're a hardcore fan, not a customer or an employee.
Tanking doesn't look good on anyone's resume, not even the GM.
Tanking is the easiest part of the rebuild, anyone can do that. But what if the "building" part doesnt bring back success? It will look terrible on the GM's resume

Reactions: Givememoneyback

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
In all likelihood, the Habs will get Florida’s 1st and not the Flames own 1st. So there’s that.

Reactions: pth2

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
The way the deal is structured, it almost certainly won't cost your team a top-10 pick, so don't get too down on that deal. I was game for moving that pick for the 2023 pick in the teens.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Rebuilds cost your franchise $10s of millions of dollars and generally damage the careers of everyone involved with the team.

It's easy for fans to do on NHL 2023 when you can simulate a season in a few minutes, but it's a whole other thing in real life when you're looking at 6-8 years of losing and you're dealing with real people and real money.

Rebuilds only ever happen when a team has no other choice and making the playoffs is already basically impossible with the existing roster.

Great point.

HFers need to figure this out. A 95 point team is not going to rebuild. It's not some peculiarity of your ownership. No team does that. The reason the Flames haven't rebuilt is because they haven't been bad enough.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yikes Flames fans, that's some out of touch "brain trust" you have running the show. Condescending corporate stay the course messaging, check. The good thing is a program run like that will usually rebuild the organic way.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018

i feel youre exaggerating greatly here with the 'real people' comments..

these are 'real people' paid millions, or at minimum hundreds of thousands, to play a sport!!!!

woe is me if they have to be on a crappy team

the only reason teams dont rebuild is because owners are cheap and dont want the loss in profits in the meantime; to try and portray that as some humanitarian effort is hilarious to me, im sorry to say!!

Reactions: barry halls

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Calgary is in a very very peculiar market also. They can't rebuild since they not only tied up huge sums of money to underperforming players, but they have that arena deal coming. They genuinely have to stay "competitive" so they don't leave.
Not really. Had they commited to a rebuild they could have created some excitement around the time they get into the new arena. Now they are just back into the not good enough and not bad enough territory theyve been in many times over the last couple decades.

Rebuilds are part of a salary cap era NHL. If they commit to it the fans will likely be much more into it than being some consistant bubble team that continuely gets mid 1st round picks.

lettuceAA

Dec 16, 2010

Yup, Flames could have easily been in the playoffs last season, they certainly played well enough to be. If Huberdeau ihas an average season compared to his previous ones they make the playoffs.

But so far this season they look completely lost, especially without Andersson.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Why do rebuilds cost tens of millions?

How much more money is a team going to make by building a team that may make the playoffs and be one and done over trying to rebuild a contender that is a threat to go for deep playoff runs yearly and is a regular playoff team?
Most mediocre teams these days do not make the playoffs at all.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
No to to mention so much of it relies on luck.

The Wings look a hell of a lot better today if they ever won a lottery or even simply didn’t drop

The Leaf’s look much worse with Laine instead of Matthews.

NJ shouldn’t have Hischier or Hughes

NYR should be a powerhouse is Kakko & Laf didn’t bust.

So much luck based results due to the lottery
This is true. But teams like Calgary should have off years or 1-2 year rebuilds. When Tkachuk wanted to leave, they should have used him to get younger. Not older with an anchor contract.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Why are there so many teams who refuse to rebuild? Like I get it being a playoff team is more profitable but when you suck year after year and take a miracle to make the playoffs while your team is filled with prime aged or declining talent.. Just rebuild.

Because most rebuilds fail and are costly and teams hope they can get lucky and find diamonds in the rough.

I mean if Boston can find Pasta, McAvoy, Swayman and Poitras without tanking, why can’t I?

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
That's why we all work random jo-blo jobs and have nothing to do with running a multi million, or billion, dollar sports franchise. Because we don't have a damn clue despite a lot of folks thinking they do.
As I got older , the more I realized that the world really isn't a meritocracy despite having the trappings of it. How the world really works in the upper echelons is ironically hidden in your reply though. Its highlighted.

Its about relationships, following trends and being in the right place at the right time. There are some posters on here that probably could have had a better vision for the Flames than the regime did.

Reactions: stymie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad