“I’m not allowed to ever use the word rebuild” - Calgary Flames

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Acquire undervalued assets from other teams. Don't tell me there aren't numerous opportunities. Doing the same thing over and over isn't a good option.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Why are there so many teams who refuse to rebuild? Like I get it being a playoff team is more profitable but when you suck year after year and take a miracle to make the playoffs while your team is filled with prime aged or declining talent.. Just rebuild.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I proud of how this vid came out:

Can't even say 'rebuild'? Sounds like something Feaster said too so I wonder if it's something Ownership has sent down the pipe to management. It's thinking like this that leads to complete and utter disaster. What does an organization do when it has run out of gas and can't even get rid of the two major anchor contracts?

Reactions: G Backup

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
Can't even say 'rebuild'? Sounds like something Feaster said too so I wonder if it's something Ownership has sent down the pipe to management. It's thinking like this that leads to complete and utter disaster. What does an organization do when it has run out of gas and can't even get rid of the two major anchor contracts?
Of course it is. Edwards is a goddamn fool.

Reactions: Boomstick

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
You'd think with them getting a new arena they'd figure the time to rebuild would be now and hope the turn around is done by the time arena is built. having a new building at the same time you have fan apathy is not a good mix.

Hell they'd probably sell more tickets if they did announce a rebuild because at least then the fans would know there is an actual direction the team is heading towards instead of being rudderless is a sea of fog.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Has any NHL FO ever declared they are rebuilding? I don't think the Armstrong Coyotes have and they've basically been the most blatant team doing it I can recall. The closest I can remember a FO saying we are rebuilding is the Rangers letter to the fans but even that doesn't use the term exactly:

As we approach the trade deadline later this month and into the summer, we will be focused on adding young, competitive players that combine speed, skill and character. This may mean we lose some familiar faces, guys we all care about and respect. While this is part of the game, it's never easy. Our promise to you is that our plans will be guided by our singular commitment: ensuring we are building the foundation for our next Stanley Cup contender.

The Sixers in the NBA explicitly doing the "process" got them in trouble with the league I think. I remember the Dolphins' former coach had a lawsuit that said the owner explicitly told him to lose games and that was a bit of a scandal. I wonder if there's some sort of league directive around intentionally losing and making that clear to fans that's the goal, re: gambling / competitive legitmacy.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Has any NHL FO ever declared they are rebuilding? I don't think the Armstrong Coyotes have and they've basically been the most blatant team doing it I can recall. The closest I can remember a FO saying we are rebuilding is the Rangers letter to the fans but even that doesn't use the term exactly:

The Sixers in the NBA explicitly doing the "process" got them in trouble with the league I think. I remember the Dolphins' former coach had a lawsuit that said the owner explicitly told him to lose games and that was a bit of a scandal. I wonder if there's some sort of league directive around intentionally losing and making that clear to fans that's the goal, re: gambling / competitive legitmacy.
When Toronto started they constantly talked about "there will be pain" (losing).

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Has any NHL FO ever declared they are rebuilding? .
The textbook example is the 1980s Detroit Red Wings but they had an owner who really bought into the process - in a really big way.
I don't know why more teams aren't more up front with their plan. What's wrong with telling people that there are contracts expiring and those players will be available if the team is a seller at the deadline? Calgary has seven pending UFAs on their NHL roster. Those are seven potential trades at the upcoming trade deadline. I don't know why the team doesn't just tell people that if they're 6-8 points out of the playoffs all of those players could and should be gone before the trading is done.

The tax payer got Pumped. Capital P.
I know - but that's another thread. The point here is that Edwards still has way too many people taking him seriously and Kowtowing to his wishes and demands.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Why are there so many teams who refuse to rebuild? Like I get it being a playoff team is more profitable but when you suck year after year and take a miracle to make the playoffs while your team is filled with prime aged or declining talent.. Just rebuild.

Rebuilds cost your franchise $10s of millions of dollars and generally damage the careers of everyone involved with the team.

It's easy for fans to do on NHL 2023 when you can simulate a season in a few minutes, but it's a whole other thing in real life when you're looking at 6-8 years of losing and you're dealing with real people and real money.

Rebuilds only ever happen when a team has no other choice and making the playoffs is already basically impossible with the existing roster.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Has any NHL FO ever declared they are rebuilding?
Leonsis was very clear that after the failed Jagr trade they were in asset selling and rebuild mode. Told the fans to expect to be bottom dwellers for a little while but it would pay off. He was right and because of that he got a lot of fans to trust his vision for the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad