Post-Game Talk: “A team like that” def. Kings - 5-3 (Boeserx3, Horvat, Pettersson)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
you know he’s good for at least 1 penalty tonight. Everyone sitting around the Penalty box should wear Tkachuk masks.

Easier than that is to simply remind hit of his plus minus stat..

Dew Doughty:
"I’m more worried about getting scored on. That’s always in my head because I was one of the [worst plus/minus players] last year. I think that messed with my head"

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
The Canucks are going to want to show Drew Doughty that in fact, yes, a team like that should be beating a team like yours. Canucks are going to bring their A game tonight.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
F3 is already high and in the middle of the ice and closer to D1....

Think about what would happen once D1 drifts back to the point... F3 moves down directly from the point - better attack/support position.

If D2 is covering D1 and F3 is covering D2... then when D1 drifts back, that would create a rotation up high with F3 coming back into the play from the opposite corner... seems slow.

But I suppose they could play into the system by having D1 on the pinch to play a ring around for F3 at the d2 position. But pinches are rarely clean and usually end with the D pushing the puck back into the corner...

but yeah... great article.

I don't think F3 (ie. the weak side point man in my scenario) will ever be very far from the middle. I would reverse it as it unwinds - D1 drifts back, D2 moves over back to their original position, and F3 moves forward through the middle. In this (the Kings) example, F3 is most likely on his off wing, having him move up along the boards would overload the strong side and imo leave the weak side vulnerable to a bad breakout.

eta: I am assuming F1 is forcing the puck up the strong side, and F2 is covering the strong side boards.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I don't think F3 (ie. the weak side point man in my scenario) will ever be very far from the middle, operating effectively as weak side point man. I would reverse it as it unwinds - D1 drifts back, D2 moves over back to their original position, and F3 moves forward through the middle. In this (the Kings) example, F3 is most likely on his off wing, having him move up along the boards would overload the strong side and imo leave the weak side vulnerable to a bad breakout.
Which ever way McLennan does it.. they are doing it wrong.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Which ever way McLennan does it.. they are doing it wrong.

Are they? I thought I read somewhere they are generating a crazy amount of shots to start their games.

I think their D zone approach is nuts, ending up with a winger below the red line and a D out at the point? We are at least a generation away from having players that can play both positions comfortably at an elite level.

Reactions: IDJOTBOY

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
More popcorn for Gaudette?

skeleton-sitting-near-tree-with-popcorn_23-2147905068.jpg

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
It's disgusting. They're literally destroying this young players development right before our eyes.
Meh. He isn’t young and he has limited upside. He needs to improve his defensive game if he is going to carve out a niche at the NHL level. At least he is earning the big bucks and practising with the pros

Reactions: Sneezy

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
Meh. He isn’t young and he has limited upside. He needs to improve his defensive game if he is going to carve out a niche at the NHL level. At least he is earning the big bucks and practising with the pros
I don't get how Gaudette isn't young but everyone keeps mentioning being patient with Virtanen.

Reactions: MikeK

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
I don't get how Gaudette isn't young but everyone keeps mentioning being patient with Virtanen.

because jake has the physical tools along with great skating. its a mental thing with him.

theres nothing extraordinary about gaudette. i like and im rooting for him but im not sure if his potential is more than a 3c.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
because jake has the physical tools along with great skating. its a mental thing with him.

theres nothing extraordinary about gaudette. i like and im rooting for him but im not sure if his potential is more than a 3c.
If he becomes a 3C that’s a huge win for the org. Not looking likely but let’s hope so.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Make Quick cry please.
Guilty admission: I've always admired Jonathan Quick, even when the Kings were kicking our asses.

The pinnacle was the 2014 series when the Kings went down 3-0 to the Sharks. Quick showed his leadership qualities, trying to rally his teammates. They came back to win that series and the Cup. I thought he was the glue that kept the team together.

But tonight, GO CANUCKS GO!

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth

That's bullshit. We don't know what we have in AG because he's hardly played and when he has it's been with garbage.

It's obvious for whatever reason that you don't think much of him but let's not take too much away from him when he's barely had a look. I mean, heck, he had a strong collegiate career and even won the Hobey Baker award as the top college player. He absolutely has the ability to be something if he would just get a chance. Sitting in the press box @23 isn't going to do him any favors in development.

Reactions: I am toxic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA