‘The wrong colour blue’: Buffalo Sabres eyeing ticket restrictions to deter visiting Leafs, Habs, Penguins, Rangers, and Wings fans.

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
Not really,

Bottom of the league attendance. Got better near end of year.

One of the cheapest ticket prices in the league.

It's a bizarre market to do this in.

If I was the PA, I'd grieve this as it would lower HRR.
In the early days of their franchise, Disney employees got free tickets to try to get some fans in the stands. So maybe Buffalo should give out some tickets to first-responders and teachers.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Not to say this to slam Buffalo, but would they sell out if they didn't sell to visiting fans? Do they have a problem with scalpers?
I have no problems with a team that prioritizes filling their building with fans cheering for the home team. But IIRC a lot of visiting fans used to target Buffalo to see their own team because the tickets were notoriously cheap compared to other markets.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
While living in Toronto in the 80s I went to a ton of leafs games......to see the other team and I wasn't alone in that ! 😉

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG and Chainshot

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
My attitude is always the same on this. Teams are free to restrict the sale on their tickets any way they see fit. But the moment they voluntarily lower their own demand and thereby restrict how much they can charge, they lose the grounds to ever complain about a lack of revenue.

If the Sabres do this and then they're one of the teams crying poor in the next CBA negotiations, everybody with any semblance of pattern recognition should bring up that they could've always been charging more had they not cut down their own demand.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I was being sarcastic.

1693696341556.gif

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
So when they suck and nobody from Buffalo wants to go pay to see them get their teeth kicked in every night, they are more than happy to accept visiting fans dollars to keep the lights on, but now that they might have something worth watching, their money is no good.

GFY.

I hope you choke on a wing and squirt pop out your nose in the middle of Wegmans.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I kinda like it, now its going to make every Leafs, Habs, Pens, Wings and Ranger games in Buffalo interesting.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
My attitude is always the same on this. Teams are free to restrict the sale on their tickets any way they see fit. But the moment they voluntarily lower their own demand and thereby restrict how much they can charge, they lose the grounds to ever complain about a lack of revenue.

If the Sabres do this and then they're one of the teams crying poor in the next CBA negotiations, everybody with any semblance of pattern recognition should bring up that they could've always been charging more had they not cut down their own demand.
Yeah Pegula will be bankrupt soon enough:sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

hacksaw7

Dec 3, 2020
I don't it recall it being this bad in the days of the Aud. I know back then Leafs, Habs fans did make their presence felt but I don't think it was like 80-20 Leafs back in the 80s and early 90s.

The Sabres just being better and more competitive should help things

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I don't it recall it being this bad in the days of the Aud. I know back then Leafs, Habs fans did make their presence felt but I don't think it was like 80-20 Leafs back in the 80s and early 90s.

The Sabres just being better and more competitive should help things
The Sabres being historically bad, record breaking drought, covid and tickets still too expensive for what the Sabres were made it a perfect combo for teams to invade worse than usual.

The fact the team is willing to do this makes it seem like they are confident in their ticket sales this year.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I am a Habs fan who lives in Southern Ontario. Going to a game in Toronto is triple the price as Buffalo.

My wife and I go every year to watch a game in Buffalo. Cheap tickets, Olive Garden and Target. I get something and so does my wife.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Not to say this to slam Buffalo, but would they sell out if they didn't sell to visiting fans? Do they have a problem with scalpers?
Probably would. Nashville has to to this with Blackhawks, Blues, and Red Wings fans. Drunken fans ruin the experience for everyone and for some unknown reason visiting fans have to get wasted. It keeps the home fans wanting to attend those games instead of just selling their tickets.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
On the one hand I get it, especially when you're talking playoffs, and it is their building.

But I have a problem with restrictions like this since 1) NHL is a league with revenue sharing and a CBA/rules/etc that all teams must follow and 2) this is a gate driven league. Why the heck would a team restrict ticket sales?
Almost all these tickets are sold on the secondary market and the team gets nothing from them. The fans pocket the money not the team. Most teams don’t like the secondary because of the jacked up prices.
I can never understand why someone would pay outrageous amounts for a game or concert anyway especially when most of the time they get drunk as Cooter Brown and don’t remember it.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Didn't read through all the comments. This is pre sale only. You can get tickets from out of town still....article makes it sound like a big deal. Plenty of teams do this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad