‘The wrong colour blue’: Buffalo Sabres eyeing ticket restrictions to deter visiting Leafs, Habs, Penguins, Rangers, and Wings fans.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
1693592827847.png

1693592845509.png

ijuka

May 14, 2016
This harms them and also harms Buffalo. But hey, if you want to make less money with your product, up to you I guess.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
This is my question too. If they are turning Sabres fans away because of the demand of opposing team fans, that makes sense to me. But Buffalo isn't a market that is seen by most as a "big market" hockey city.
Not really,

Bottom of the league attendance. Got better near end of year.

One of the cheapest ticket prices in the league.

It's a bizarre market to do this in.

If I was the PA, I'd grieve this as it would lower HRR.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Frankly, teams should just live with it. If anything, it pumps up the players as they don't want to hear the opposing fans cheering a win in their building. I'm in Ottawa, and in recent years, they have owned Montreal and done better than expected vs Toronto at the CTC in front of fan invasions.

When the team was at its best, and games were mostly sold out, there were much less Toronto and Montreal fans there. If Buffalo becomes a top team, the same will happen.

I don't blame Buffalo fans for selling their season tickets to Leaf fans. They make a ton of cash for it. Plus, it can be unpleasant going to those games. I've seen boorish Leaf fans pour a drink on a senior citizen's head, and act poorly in general. Note: I've been to games in Toronto; Leaf, Raptor, and Blue Jays, and they are normal people. It's a special type of boor from hick towns that goes to Sens games, whereas Montreal fans that visit seem more normal.

Another note: massive fanbases that never win anything tend to crow about how big their fanbases are because they have nothing to cheer about on the ice. I imagine New York Knicks fans are a lot like Leaf fans. It's interesting that the Sens have had more playoff success than the Leafs in the Austin Matthews era, 2 series wins vs 1, despite a total rebuild.

I remember going to Blue Jays games when the Yankees were great and the Blue Jays sucked, there were so many loud Yankees fans there! But you've either got to live with it, or don't go to the games.

What is it with Leaf fans picking fights with senior citizens and 12 year old girls?

They were doing that back in the 80's when I used to go to Hartford to see the Whalers play.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Imagine this was any other business, it’s hilarious.

Like imagine your Dominos and people who love Pizza Hut are buying all your pizzas just to throw them into the trash and you try to start restricting Pizza Hut fans from buying your Dominos.

What is it with Leaf fans picking fights with senior citizens and 12 year old girls?

They were doing that back in the 80's when I used to go to Hartford to see the Whalers play.

Every fan base has idiots. I don’t think, outside of maybe some Philly teams let’s be real, there are canvases that are really any better or worse than others.

Bigger fanbases have more exposure and bigger numbers so they’re likely to be reported on more, but even seemingly chill cities (like Vancouver) can go nuts given the right circumstances.

Except Philly, those fans are legit nuts.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
I remember when those weenies in Nashville did this to make it harder for Chicago fans to buy tickets. Thankfully my BIL is a Tennessee resident and he got me some tickets. This rule never works. There were always a lot of Chicago fans in Nashville every time I saw a game there.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Reactions: sabremike

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Every fan base has idiots. I don’t think, outside of maybe some Philly teams let’s be real, there are canvases that are really any better or worse than others.

Bigger fanbases have more exposure and bigger numbers so they’re likely to be reported on more, but even seemingly chill cities (like Vancouver) can go nuts given the right circumstances.

Except Philly, those fans are legit nuts.
Yes. Every fan base has idiots.

Engaging with kids and seniors...that's goes beyond idiocy...IMO.

I've been to scores of hockey games in the last forty plus years in upwards of 20 NHL cities and the only time I've every seen some 20-something willingly look to dance with seniors and a kid...all were Leaf fans. Lots of fights between consenting adults from other team fanbases...sure, every team has those.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
So many falling for the clickbait...

I have no problem with a team giving "first dibs" to people within a certain geographic area (i.e. their homebase), and then opening up to everyone the tickets that don't sell. I'd even have no problem if the first dibs/pre-sale cost was lower than the general sale price.

I would have a problem if the policy was to only sell to people within a certain area, or was to try to restrict/limit the number of away team fans (other than thru the above mentioned pre-sale method).

But that's not what's going on here.

Dulind

A unique encounter, with an emphasis on safety
Aug 12, 2021
GB
Since when do three teams face each other in a hockey game?
If you ever went to a Sabres game, you'll see Leaf/Habs fans in the stand often.

I'm not sure of the numbers, but plenty of Canadians hold Sabre mini-packs.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Categorically disallowing fans because they're supporting the "wrong team" is some of the dumbest shit in American sports. Just embarrassing level of fakeness and insecurity.

ACLEVERNAME

schadenfreude
Jan 6, 2010
A few scattered opposing fans in an arena are great - makes for an atmosphere and a fun time. Masses of loud, drunken and obnoxious outsiders are just bad business. It's 'business' plain and simple. People keep getting hung up on 'markets' or 'rivalries' or 'better fanbases' etc - let it be known that NHL teams are in the 'business' of catering to their fanbase/clientele.

Have enough season ticket holders mention the disproportionate amount of loud, ugly and smelly Leafs fans in their post season survey and you can be assured action will be taken.

It just business.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
What a moronic idea.

The team is doing better on the road in enemy barns and they think that the problem is enemy fans in their own building. Maybe they should consider limiting Bufalo fans from their home games lol.

A few scattered opposing fans in an arena are great - makes for an atmosphere and a fun time. Masses of loud, drunken and obnoxious outsiders are just bad business. It's 'business' plain and simple. People keep getting hung up on 'markets' or 'rivalries' or 'better fanbases' etc - let it be known that NHL teams are in the 'business' of catering to their fanbase/clientele.

Have enough season ticket holders mention the disproportionate amount of loud, ugly and smelly Leafs fans in their post season survey and you can be assured action will be taken.

It just business.

Maybe the home fans should get off their butts and buy more tickets, there is a reason that Habs and Leafs home games aren't overrun by Sabres fans......

ACLEVERNAME

schadenfreude
Jan 6, 2010
Maybe the home fans should get off their butts and buy more tickets, there is a reason that Habs and Leafs home games aren't overrun by Sabres fans......
'Cause the 'average' fan in those markets can afford tickets without traveling and making a spectacle in a visiting arena?

Getting 'priced out' is exactly what makes these visiting fans so obnoxious. Flaunting the Kings riches infront of the pauper...

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
'Cause the 'average' fan in those markets can afford tickets without traveling and making a spectacle in a visiting arena?

Getting 'priced out' is exactly what makes these visiting fans so obnoxious. Flaunting the Kings riches infront of the pauper...

You are forgetting why the prices are high in Montreal and Toronto.....demand. When Sabres fans start supporting their team the price will rise, until then they will have to rely on other markets fans taking advantage of the low prices.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad