‘The wrong colour blue’: Buffalo Sabres eyeing ticket restrictions to deter visiting Leafs, Habs, Penguins, Rangers, and Wings fans.

Carbooja

Uncle Salaami
Jun 2, 2011
Brampton, Ontario
I am a Habs fan who lives in Southern Ontario. Going to a game in Toronto is triple the price as Buffalo.

My wife and I go every year to watch a game in Buffalo. Cheap tickets, Olive Garden and Target. I get something and so does my wife.
Same here, we're Jets fans and I can take my entire family of 4 to catch a game and it'll be about the same as a lower bowl ticket at the ACC Scotiabank Centre.

Reactions: Habsrule

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
You reap what you sow. This is the only thing that comes to mind.

This is beyond stupid.

You know what also keeps away fans away and home fans to buy tickets? Winning.

They are naive enough to discourage ticket sales by restricting visiting fans, then they are naive enough to enough to believe that they can actually control this.
This might be true before ticket broker sites became so popular.

I know in Nashville, ticket brokers bought most of the tickets immediately, which makes it harder for locals to buy at face value.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The article sort of insinuates that if the sabres rink does not get taken over by opposing fans, then they would win more home games.

I reject that premise. If you're good, you win regardless, and I generally find buildings with split support to be pretty festive. It adds extra spice to games.

I know in Vancouver, it feels more like an event when a team with a large out of market following comes in town rather than feeling like another random mid season nhl game.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
This is my question too. If they are turning Sabres fans away because of the demand of opposing team fans, that makes sense to me. But Buffalo isn't a market that is seen by most as a "big market" hockey city.
Let me go further to dispel a rumour. Are there really legions of Sabres fans across the river? I don't think there are. I mean if I ask 10 hockey fans, what team do they support, will 7 say the Sabres?

The best solution is for MLSE to buy everything: owner, arena, real estate, team, farm team, etc.

Then create a special thing called "home 2".

Toronto would be able to steal all of BUF's best players, propects, AHLers, etc.

Then whenever TOR play BUF it will be called Home 2. Tickets will be sold exclusively to Leaf fans.

;)
Hold On! Home 2 is Ottawa!

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Reactions: ecemleafs

gearharb

Apr 12, 2007
USA!!!
Why is it the Sabres responsibility to offer an affordable ticket price for fans of Canadian teams? Maybe those teams need to start offering more affordable prices for their own fans. It sucks, but if you can't afford a game in your home rink that's a probloem you should take up with your own team and they way they price their tickets.

If you're a Leafs/Habs fan just go see games in your home rink, problem solved.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I am a Habs fan who lives in Southern Ontario. Going to a game in Toronto is triple the price as Buffalo.

My wife and I go every year to watch a game in Buffalo. Cheap tickets, Olive Garden and Target. I get something and so does my wife.
I looked at going last year. 800 bucks to see a regular season game? No ay.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Man even the Canadian teams allow each other's fans to visit.

I mean heaven forbid that teams actually cater to their fans that attend 20-40 games a year instead of people that attend once a year
Not every fan of a visiting team lives in said city. There's plenty of fans of different teams in each city. That's why this is a bad mindset.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
In related new, Brendan Shanahan is considering banning Sabres fans from all Leaf’s games, including the ones in Buffalo.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Not every fan of a visiting team lives in said city. There's plenty of fans of different teams in each city. That's why this is a bad mindset.

If they live in the city, they won’t have any issues with their postal code getting tickets, right?

KeithIsActuallyBad said:
Man even the Canadian teams allow each other's fans to visit.

It’s a pre-sale.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
What’s your opinion on people who don’t read the article?
I don't know about that but I do value the ability to read between the lines. They want to force up the proportion of fans from their own market to manipulate the atmosphere in the games. Why make restrictions like this when their games aren't even close to sold out in the first place?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad