NHL ‘22-‘23 Out of Town Thread VI : Stanley Cup Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Yeah it's easily the most entertaining, as is MIN/DAL somehow.

Oilers are such a paper tiger, stay out of the box against them, profit.
I don't know if they're a paper tiger as much as they have 2 of the top 5 players in the world and then questionable depth behind it. Draisaitl is just taking over. I've been somewhat underwhelmed by McDavid so far though. But their defense is better than years past, and I'm not sold on Skinner being able to take them very far.

Reactions: missingchicklet

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I don't know if they're a paper tiger as much as they have 2 of the top 5 players in the world and then questionable depth behind it. Draisaitl is just taking over. I've been somewhat underwhelmed by McDavid so far though. But their defense is better than years past, and I'm not sold on Skinner being able to take them very far.
Drai on the PP was lethal in the regular season and is just as lethal in the playoffs. 32 of his 52 goals were on the PP this season. That's kind of insane when you think about how little a player spends on the PP compared to 5 on 5. McDavid "only" had 21 of his 64 goals on the PP. Drai has a better shooting pct than McDavid (21 vs 18%). Nuts how little press he gets from the national media. 52 goals, 128 pts is an awesome season, but of course it is overshadowed by his teammate's 64 goal, 153 pt season.

I agree that goalie is going to be the issue for the Oilers making a deep run. They are also highly dependent on the reffing. Without the PP they are toast 5 on 5. Get refs who swallow their whistles and the mountain becomes much steeper for the Oilers. Last night, for example, the PP put the Oilers back in the game. No phantom penalty called leading to a PP goal, game has a different complexion. Maybe doesn't even end up going to OT and the Kings are up 3-1 in the series.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
It is frustrating to us the fans. I can only imagine how the Wild and Kings are feeling right now. I feel for them, their out there giving it their all and then to have those calls end up deciding their fate, its really to bad and an injustice.

Well the Kings won game 3 because of an officiating mistake

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
My opinion of the officiating in this league has evolved. I used to think that the refs had it in for the Bruins.

I no longer think this way.

I'm now resigned to the fact that, as a group, they are just lousy at their job and when you have a group of people who aren't good at what they do --- obviously mistakes are made and sometimes the Bruins benefit from it and others they are hurt by it.

Sad, that we're just left to hope that they don't get screwed by ineptitude at the wrong time.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
This is funny because I actually think the officiating in our series has been... Alright? At least it hasn't been appreciably worse that we're used to seeing. But other series it's been real rough.
It has been. Better than most of the series. the issue is the game just moves too quick and 3/4 of the time they seem to just guess that it was a penalty.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
It has been. Better than most of the series. the issue is the game just moves too quick and 3/4 of the time they seem to just guess that it was a penalty.
Its been brought up at GM meting in the past that maybe they should have a 3rd ref. Eyes in the sky approach. Probably not a bad idea. Having someone upstairs as well. Cant hurt with todays technology, shouldn't slow the game down, too much.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

ProdigalFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 2, 2011
Mansfield, MA
Its been brought up at GM meting in the past that maybe they should have a 3rd ref. Eyes in the sky approach. Probably not a bad idea. Having someone upstairs as well. Cant hurt with todays technology, shouldn't slow the game down, too much.
Interesting. Players try stuff when the refs on the ice aren't looking. Having a ref upstairs watching on the monitor might negate some of that.

Reactions: TCB

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Interesting. Players try stuff when the refs on the ice aren't looking. Having a ref upstairs watching on the monitor might negate some of that.
That and the game is so fast now it couldn't hurt to have extra eyes. Just someone who can be in their ear and say no that was a clean hit or hey Tkachuk just whacked Ullmark in the back of the head. I think it would go a long way in keeping the players a little more honest and it would help make the on ice officials job a little bit easier as well.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
problem is, would having those eyes in the skies slow the game down too much if the refs went upstairs each time after making a call?

Reactions: BMC

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Good grief the officiating sucks enough with 2 refs does anyone really think it will somehow miraculously improve with 3???? Get real. There aren't enough competent refs to make the 2 ref system work as it is, going to a 3 ref system will just make it worse. Think of how expansion waters down the quality of players in the NHL, the same thing will happen if another ref is added to the mix.

And while I'm ranting about the officiating- if I was on the NHL committee for officiating I would introduce a rule that if the ref closest to the play does not call a penalty then the ref farthest away cannot call it. It drives me crazy (not that I have far to go) when a ref right on top of the action lets a penalty go but the guy 25 feet away raises his arm.

:rant: :pullhair:

Reactions: duffy

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
The game is so fast. PVR and replay doesn’t help.
I also think some people can’t accept something not going their way.
The reality is the refs don’t hate teams,they do their best and are only human.
By the way, I’m still THAT guy that yells at my tv when a bad call happens but I tend not to blame the refs when we loose.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
problem is, would having those eyes in the skies slow the game down too much if the refs went upstairs each time after making a call?
I don't think that would be the purpose. I think the ref upstairs would only be there on calls that were terribly wrong or something that was real egregious behind the play.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
The game is so fast. PVR and replay doesn’t help.
I also think some people can’t accept something not going their way.
The reality is the refs don’t hate teams,they do their best and are only human.
By the way, I’m still THAT guy that yells at my tv when a bad call happens but I tend not to blame the refs when we loose.
Poor officiating has long been an issue, what I don`t have patience for is inconsistent officiating. The refs set the bar as far as how much they`ll let go or not, drives me nuts where it appears they are going to let the boys play then call a ticky tack play a few shifts later.

Refs don`t hate teams but I believe wholeheartedly, refs can be influenced by the fan reaction to something, we Bruin fans watched decades of it vs the Habs

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
My opinion of the officiating in this league has evolved. I used to think that the refs had it in for the Bruins.

I no longer think this way.

I'm now resigned to the fact that, as a group, they are just lousy at their job and when you have a group of people who aren't good at what they do --- obviously mistakes are made and sometimes the Bruins benefit from it and others they are hurt by it.

Sad, that we're just left to hope that they don't get screwed by ineptitude at the wrong time.

For as long as I can remember NHL officiating has been "bad".

It's the game itself. It gets faster and faster. Players learn new ways to "get an edge". So many calls can go either way.

I remember a network game in the 90's where Bill Clement showed a 50 second Mark Messier shift where he committed 5 fouls, twice knocking players down away from the play. Not likely they were accidental. None called.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Good grief the officiating sucks enough with 2 refs does anyone really think it will somehow miraculously improve with 3???? Get real. There aren't enough competent refs to make the 2 ref system work as it is, going to a 3 ref system will just make it worse. Think of how expansion waters down the quality of players in the NHL, the same thing will happen if another ref is added to the mix.
And while I'm ranting about the officiating- if I was on the NHL committee for officiating I would introduce a rule that if the ref closest to the play does not call a penalty then the ref farthest away cannot call it. It drives me crazy (not that I have far to go) when a ref right on top of the action lets a penalty go but the guy 25 feet away raises his arm.

:rant: :pullhair:

Sometimes the guy that's 25 feet away has a better angle to see an infraction.

Hell, watching on TV we are seeing the play from a further distance and think we know the right call every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad