Speculation: ‘20-21 Trade/Free Agency Thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Just throwing this out there (don't shoot), but what do you guys think of a trade like

Lindholm
Rakell (50%) retained

Byram
Newhook
1st

I can't say I really know where Newhook projects but it sounds like he is heading towards a low-end 1c or high-end 2c. Ducks get a lot younger, load up on future talent and would immediately have the best talent pool in the league with an additional top 5 pick coming in the draft. Avs basically have the best team in the league by a wide margin.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Just throwing this out there (don't shoot), but what do you guys think of a trade like

Lindholm
Rakell (50%) retained

Byram
Newhook
1st

I can't say I really know where Newhook projects but it sounds like he is heading towards a low-end 1c or high-end 2c. Ducks get a lot younger, load up on future talent and would immediately have the best talent pool in the league with an additional top 5 pick coming in the draft. Avs basically have the best team in the league by a wide margin.
I would do that trade if it becomes clear they can't resign Lindholm.
Lindholm/Makar would be a great top pairing for Colorado.
I'd really like to get Newhook for Rakell.
Perhaps after that trade they could even package Steel + Lundestrom + other asset for PLD ? Then they become PLD/Zegras/Newhook down the middle.

Ducks would no longer have a shutdown Dpair but Drysdale seems like he's gonna be better defensively than Fowler.
After the trade the Ducks are locks to finish bottom 3 for the next 2 seasons. With the changes the NHL made to next years lottery they can't move down 3 spots ?

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019

Lindholm
Rakell (50%) retained

Byram
Newhook
1st

Id do that trade. It hurts us short term but sets us up for the future. We would need to sign some vets short term to shelter the kids.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I would do that trade if it becomes clear they can't resign Lindholm.
Lindholm/Makar would be a great top pairing for Colorado.
I'd really like to get Newhook for Rakell.
Perhaps after that trade they could even package Steel + Lundestrom + other asset for PLD ? Then they become PLD/Zegras/Newhook down the middle.

Ducks would no longer have a shutdown Dpair but Drysdale seems like he's gonna be better defensively than Fowler.
After the trade the Ducks are locks to finish bottom 3 for the next 2 seasons. With the changes the NHL made to next years lottery they can't move down 3 spots ?
If we can get an elite dman this year we are anchored with Drysdale and the new pick for awhile. Newhook/Zegras/lundestrom down the middle is something you can really build around. We also guarantee some super good picks. The extra first helps with depth and another roll of the dice with a winger.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
If we can get an elite dman this year we are anchored with Drysdale and the new pick for awhile. Newhook/Zegras/lundestrom down the middle is something you can really build around. We also guarantee some super good picks. The extra first helps with depth and another roll of the dice with a winger.
I'm excited with which ever Dmen they could get.
With Clarke that gives them another high end RHD.
With Power that gives them a Big LHD that replaces Lindholm's spot as the teams top LHD. I'll take an Ekblad 2.0
With Edvinsson we get another Swedish Dman.
With Hughes we get a Dynamic offensive LHD.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Not wanting to go all Dirk, but I do miss being that team that was hard to play against. We were lead by superstars in Getzlaf and Perry that could do a lot of the heavy lifting offensively, but it seems like we lost every bit of grit we did have up front, save for Delo and an older Getzlaf. When we lose now, its almost gracefully. The former Ducks teams would at least let you know they didn't appreciate it. It brought them closer in my opinion. I can't imagine how former Ducks rosters would have reacted to losing 5-1 and 6-0 to LA and San Jose, yeesh.

Before the season started, I said our pathway back to the playoffs would be with healthy, effort, and keeping games close, hoping we'd be on the winning side on those 2-1 games.

Gm 26: Kings 5, Ducks 6. Kings PP = 2/4 (Manson fell to injury during 2nd period, iirc)
Gm 27: Kings 5, Ducks 1. Kings PP = 2/4
Gm 28: Sharks 6, Ducks 0. Sharks PP = 2/2

We lost 5-1 and 6-0 without Lindholm, Manson, and Rowney in the lineup; all three are a significant part of our PK unit. Before these two losses, we were involved in 8 consecutive one-goal games. It just shows that we are still lacking talent depth when injuries hit the team. While I never realized we'd lose 5-1 and 6-0, I knew our chances of being competitive in games would be reliant on health and effort. We've been involved in 19 one-goal games this season. We've lost 6-1 and 4-1 to St Louis earlier in the season, games 9 and 10. Grit isn't a problem then. Health is the problem because we don't have talent depth to absorb injuries to top defensive players.

2020-21 DucksGamesWLOTLPts
Total record28814622
1-goal games1958616
Non 1-goal games93606
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
We get $21 mil in cap space this coming off-season. We know Comtois (22 yrs old) and Lundy (21) have taken huge steps this season. D Drysdale could be coming onboard next year as a 19-year old, following Lindholm's path. 5 wins out of 19 represents a 26.3% winning percentage. With more talent on the team next year, hopefully, then we can turn a lot of those one-goal games into more wins. Also, with more talent on the team next year, we won't be involved in losing blowouts as much. I like grit on this team and want more grit on this team, but the lack of talent due to injuries has more to do with our losses. Maybe we can trade for a top scoring talent with grit in this off-season if we can't find one in the FA market.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Before the season started, I said our pathway back to the playoffs would be with healthy, effort, and keeping games close, hoping we'd be on the winning side on those 2-1 games.

Gm 26: Kings 5, Ducks 6. Kings PP = 2/4 (Manson fell to injury during 2nd period, iirc)
Gm 27: Kings 5, Ducks 1. Kings PP = 2/4
Gm 28: Sharks 6, Ducks 0. Sharks PP = 2/2

We lost 5-1 and 6-0 without Lindholm, Manson, and Rowney in the lineup; all three are a significant part of our PK unit. Before these two losses, we were involved in 8 consecutive one-goal games. It just shows that we are still lacking talent depth when injuries hit the team. While I never realized we'd lose 5-1 and 6-0, I knew our chances of being competitive in games would be reliant on health and effort. We've been involved in 19 one-goal games this season. We've lost 6-1 and 4-1 to St Louis earlier in the season, games 9 and 10. Grit isn't a problem then. Health is the problem because we don't have talent depth to absorb injuries to top defensive players.

2020-21 DucksGamesWLOTLPts
Total record28814622
1-goal games1958616
Non 1-goal games93606
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
We get $21 mil in cap space this coming off-season. We know Comtois (22 yrs old) and Lundy (21) have taken huge steps this season. D Drysdale could be coming onboard next year as a 19-year old, following Lindholm's path. 5 wins out of 19 represents a 26.3% winning percentage. With more talent on the team next year, hopefully, then we can turn a lot of those one-goal games into more wins. Also, with more talent on the team next year, we won't be involved in losing blowouts as much. I like grit on this team and want more grit on this team, but the lack of talent due to injuries has more to do with our losses. Maybe we can trade for a top scoring talent with grit in this off-season if we can't find one in the FA market.

When you say top scoring talent w/ grit do you have anyone in mind?

I wish comtois had a little more ritchie in him when it came to that kind of game.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I wish comtois had a little more ritchie in him when it came to that kind of game.

Besides PLD, no idea. There's a grinder pest that can score from Arizona (Connor Garland), but I think he's an RFA. I think Arizona will re-sign him, especially if Arizona doesn't pour in capital onto their blue line and netminding situaiton. Right now, Garland leads the Yotes in scoring. He's definitely gonna get a big bump in raise this off-season. Not bad for a 5'10 guy. I hope there are other options there. I'm just Duck centric in the NHL, so maybe there are others out there that can provide some other players we could identify. (That would be good to see, actually!)

As for Comtois, I think he's rounding out nicely. He's definitely developed more aggressiveness and tenacity to his game at puck hounding this season. That's something Ritchie lacked a lot of in his skill set, which is why we traded him away. Ritchie's niche in Boston is on the PP. Ritchie is a top-5 scorer on Boston, but the only one with a negative +/- rating. Why? Because out of his 15 points, 9 points were scored on the PP. Comtois has 19 points and +7. Out of his 19 points, 3 points came on the PP. We got a better 200-ft player in Comtois. I'll take that all day, everyday.

Last edited:

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017

The traditionalist in me agrees but with how the game is changing, Comtois is less likely to be injured with the how he's playing now than playing more physically aggressive.
I think Comtois already sees that playing this way he's less likely to end up banged up with a lot of wear and tear like Perry and Kesler.

With how the Ducks really need its forwards to develop, having them be healthy helps too.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Besides PLD, no idea. There's a grinder pest that can score from Arizona (Connor Garland), but I think he's an RFA. I think Arizona will re-sign him, especially if Arizona doesn't pour in capital onto their blue line and netminding situaiton. Right now, Garland leads the Yotes in scoring. He's definitely gonna get a big bump in raise this off-season. Not bad for a 5'10 guy. I hope there are other options there. I'm just Duck centric in the NHL, so maybe there are others out there that can provide some other players we could identify. (That would be good to see, actually!)

As for Comtois, I think he's rounding out nicely. He's definitely developed more aggressiveness and tenacity to his game at puck hounding this season. That's something Ritchie lacked a lot of in his skill set, which is why we traded him away. Ritchie's niche in Boston is on the PP. Ritchie is a top-5 scoring on Boston, but the only one with a negative +/- rating. Why? Because out of his 15 points, 9 points were scored on the PP. Comtois has 19 points and +7. Out of his 19 points, 3 points came on the PP. We got a better 200-ft player in Comtois. I'll take that all day, everyday.
Oh i meant ritchies mean streak/physicality.... comtois is big but no where near ritchies physicality/meanness.
Comtois is like a gentle giant

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
We are going to trade for Max Domi aren't we lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad