Value of: Zucker as a RFA

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
There has been talk on the Wild board of possibly moving a few players during this offseason. We have a number of players in mind but, I'm wondering what other fanbases think and could offer for the rights to Jason Zucker.

He's just coming off a 2-year/$2 million deal and is still a RFA at 26 years of age. He has great speed, a good shot, and just had his best season with 33G-31A-64P. I would like the Wild to get younger and faster (the last part seems counterproductive to moving Zucker but we'll forget that for now).

Looking for high-end picks and/or young, speedy, possession style centers and wingers.

SouCHe

Jul 14, 2013
Why would the Wild trade Jason Zucker, a product of the organization who's been steadily progressing and was one of the best player for the Wild this year? Unless he's asking for an unreasonable contract, I think he's untouchable at this point, no?

Reactions: Lapa

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Why would the Wild trade Jason Zucker, a product of the organization who's been steadily progressing and was one of the best player for the Wild this year? Unless he's asking for an unreasonable contract, I think he's untouchable at this point, no?

A lot of fans are obsessed with "peak value".

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
I don't see Zucker as a core piece for the Wild to build around. He's a very good complimentary player but he needs other players on his line to get him the puck. He won't be the driver of a line. Zucker's game revolves around going to where the puck will be/cleaning up loose change and getting open to shoot. With Staal going back to being a bonafide, playmaking 1C this year, Zucker's production increased as a result.

But, unless Staal can keep his game up for the length of Zucker's extension or Eriksson Ek's game takes a massive jump forward, I don't see Zucker sustaining this season's production over a long period of time.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I don't think Zucker's going to ask for the moon on a contract. Potting 30 goals does entitle him to a healthy contract, but he's not going to try to squeeze the team or anything. I also don't have any concerns about him being a very good player for the next 5-6 years.

My interest in trading Zucker stems from:

1.) The potential to sell high on him. (Obsession with peak value)
2.) His playoff performance. This will be his 6th playoff series, and over the years he's struggled to reproduce his regular-season production in the playoffs. He's by no means the only player on the Wild that's had this problem, but he's probably the best example of it right now.

I think he would be a godsend to a team that's tired of missing the playoffs and is looking for a top-6 LW with speed. If such a team was willing to move a young forward with high upside that hasn't broken out yet, I'd be listening. Picks would interest me less, but I guess if it was high enough I'd be okay with it. No interest in moving him for older players.

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
I think he would be a godsend to a team that's tired of missing the playoffs and is looking for a top-6 LW with speed. If such a team was willing to move a young forward with high upside that hasn't broken out yet, I'd be listening. Picks would interest me less, but I guess if it was high enough I'd be okay with it. No interest in moving him for older players.
Zucker on the Pens would be extremely dangerous. I could see his numbers exploding when on a line with Crosby or Malkin. Florida could also be a good fit with Barkov and Trocheck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad