Proposal: Zuccarello to Carolina

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Canes 2018 1st for Zucc.

Why Rangers do it-
I want Farabee really bad and Canes 1st will end up in that range. Gives us 4 1st rounders and really jump starts this rebuild

Why Canes do it-
They’ll be pressured to make a move soon and need offense. Zucc is a mentor for the younger guys and has everything you want in a mentor; leadership, grit (even if he is small), two way play, playoff experience, good energy, good locker room guy etc etc. good for around 60 points while also bringing great 2 way play. Only 30 so he’s not really old either

Fair deal?

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Canes 2018 1st for Zucc.

Why Rangers do it-
I want Farabee really badly, and Canes 1st will end up in that range. Gives us 4 1st rounders and really jump starts this rebuild

Why Canes do it-
They’ll be pressured to make a move soon and need offense. Zucc is a mentor for the younger guys and has everything you want in a mentor; leadership, grit (even if he is small), two way play, playoff experience, good energy, good locker room guy etc etc. good for around 60 points while also bringing great 2 way play. Only 30 so he’s not really old either

Fair deal?

:skeptic:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Canes 2018 1st for Zucc.

Why Rangers do it-
I want Farabee really bad and Canes 1st will end up in that range. Gives us 4 1st rounders and really jump starts this rebuild

Why Canes do it-

Fair deal?

Not trading a 1st for one year of Zuccarello. Not that desperate.

Canes need centers

Although there are reciprocal needs, it has always been hard for us to match currency.

I could see Zuc a fit, but not 1 for 1 for what we want. Also, see Zuc as a fit for Oil w/throw in RDs they need [Kampfer, Zborovsky, Sproul] for Klefbom.

Counter:
Zib, Namestnikov, Spooner, Rangers 2018 and 2019 2nds
for
Hanifin + Canes 2018 and 2019 1sts
NY can take small cap dump if nec

That is 3 immediate guys for Carolina who can pivot or W, Zib on a nice deal and N. and S. w/RFA rights; and 2 decent picks.

Rangers get the better picks, and Hani
do my Zuc deal above, and Hani and Klef w/Skjei
and our D renovation is expedited.

Not counting other moves, our C depth would include:
Nieves
Andersson
Chytil
Hayes
Lettieri
with Howden pushing

win win?

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Although there are reciprocal needs, it has always been hard for us to match currency.

I could see Zuc a fit, but not 1 for 1 for what we want. Also, see Zuc as a fit for Oil w/throw in RDs they need [Kampfer, Zborovsky, Sproul] for Klefbom.

Counter:
for

That is 3 immediate guys for Carolina who can pivot or W, Zib on a nice deal and N. and S. w/RFA rights; and 2 decent picks.

Nieves
Andersson
Chytil
Hayes
Lettieri
with Howden pushing

win win?
:banghead:

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Zib may be someone Carolina would have interest in. But Namestnikov and Spooner should be wingers. NY thinks Namestnikov is a center for some reason, but he seems best on wing.

Think they aim higher with Hanifin thouhg.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015

Counter:
for

Nieves
Andersson
Chytil
Hayes
Lettieri
with Howden pushing

win win?
You need some veterans so the young guys don't get exposed and ruined quickly and that proposal is favoured in Carolinas direction.

Reactions: Ori

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Zib may be someone Carolina would have interest in. But Namestnikov and Spooner should be wingers. NY thinks Namestnikov is a center for some reason, but he seems best on wing.

Think they aim higher with Hanifin thouhg.
How much higher will someone pay?
Canes are giving a lot, but so are Rangers.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

You need some veterans so the young guys don't get exposed and ruined quickly and that proposal is favoured in Carolinas direction.
I am not worried about adding vet presence as may be necessary.
More concerned about max values returned for assets surrendered.

As to the rest of it, 2 widely different assessments, one saying it's not good favoring Canes and another unspecified not good.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Zuccarello is likely not that high up on Carolina's priority list given his contractual status, trade cost, the makeup of Carolina's roster and the other names potentially available this offseason.

Why pay a high asset cost for a non-elite, 30+ wing who is up for a decent raise on a mid to long-term extension that will start the season after next (if he re-signs, of course), when there are (1) centers potentially to be had for Carolina's assets and/or budget space (Tavares, T. Johnson, Nugent-Hopkins) or (2) wingers that require a similar mid to long-term commitment, but come at zero asset cost (Kane, Neal, JvR)?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Slightly favored towards Carolina.
acknowledged, thank you.

Rangers are getting Hanifin and 2 unprotected 1sts
they have to expect to pay, and not cheap

I think this is a win win and I would just as soon do this and know what I am getting in Hani
as opposed to
taking out Zib, making a smaller deal w/Canes re: picks
and
alternatively doing Zib + Buch for an unprotected Sabres 1st, if they go there.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Carolina is not trading for Zuccarello. It makes zero sense for them.

I don't even know if the Rangers will move him right now, being that he loves it here and is most logical successor to wear the C, despite having one year left on his deal.

I can see a draft day trade happening, but Carolina isn't the team. Though if I'm wrong, I'll gladly eat my crow.

Reactions: Ori

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yeah it make no sense for CAR to sign Zucc, and they need centers while we need to upgrade on our defensive core - maybe we need to consider to move DeAngelo in this summer window and pack him in for a better defensive upgrade for a team who need to improve their PP. We have Kevin in that 1st unit role and he is good at it.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I’m hoping the Canes look at Farabee there.

Canes greatest asset right now is Cap space. Doesn’t make sense to sacrifice futures when they can buy a good LW on the open market.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Carolina is not trading for Zuccarello. It makes zero sense for them.

I don't even know if the Rangers will move him right now, being that he loves it here and is most logical successor to wear the C, despite having one year left on his deal.

I can see a draft day trade happening, but Carolina isn't the team. Though if I'm wrong, I'll gladly eat my crow.

Agree, a deal not impossible, but percentage wise, Zuc to Canes highly unlikely.
He doesn't fit as a prime piece
And is too expensive a luxury for a secondary piece.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
I think Zucc is really important to have on the team with the young players coming up. You need vets who are great examples. Otherwise you end up like the Oilers who are incompetent.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
The Hurricanes need a #1 center, not just a top 30 center in the League, but a guy who can take over games, say "Follow me" and lead the charge. Someone that the other team wants to specifically shut down.

They also need a starting goalie. Not a great one, average will do nicely, but a guy who can play 50 games a year, occassionally steal a game while giving the team the chance to win on most nights.

I don't watch the Rangers, is Mats Zuccarello either of these things?

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
The Hurricanes need a #1 center, not just a top 30 center in the League, but a guy who can take over games, say "Follow me" and lead the charge. Someone that the other team wants to specifically shut down.

They also need a starting goalie. Not a great one, average will do nicely, but a guy who can play 50 games a year, occassionally steal a game while giving the team the chance to win on most nights.

I don't watch the Rangers, is Mats Zuccarello either of these things?

Mister Alexandar Georgiev.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I think Zucc has lost a step. Maybe not, it could be that his finishers are not as good but I think it's time to move him if for no other reason than he's been a phenomenal Ranger and he should have a chance to win. If they ask him and he wants to stay I would accommodate him up until the time we have to move on. But part of me wants to see him back with Hagelin and Brassard for old times sake. I know, kill me! The horror of helping Pittsburgh is unforgivable. But I really like Zucc and I would make a move to make him happy if we could.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad