Rumor: Zuccarello to BUF (Kypreos)

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
TBH, i could see zuccarello's game aging pretty well. It's never been based on speed, so he won't be reliant on wheels for effectiveness. I think the vision/hands will stay sharp as a playmaker from the wing (thus he also doesn't rely on getting to areas of the ice for shot opportunities). As long as he stays healthy, he could age like Thornton - and if that's the case a five-year term wouldn't look so bad. Also keep in mind, he played for Krueger and team europe at WCH.
I was thinking the same thing tbh, seems like he could perform at a decently high level into his mid 30s considering the type of years he's had lately. The only real question is injuries. This seems like a total rumor that prolly won't pan out but I wouldn't mind a signing even if it was a slight overpayment considering we have an expansion draft coming in a year

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Ralph Krueger coached Zuccarello at the World Cup for Team Europe in 2016. If Zuccarello goes to Buffalo, it is because they offered him a 5 year contract. He wants five years. The Stars offered him four years. 5 years. ~$6M. ~$30M should get it done for the Sabres.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Then why would he go to Buffalo?

Why would anyone want to go to Buffalo. For Zuccarello, this is also about playing with buddys, and perhaps winning something in the last good years of his hockey-life. Seriously, going to Buffalo would be a big surprise. Even if they offered long term and an NMC.

(Edit - and then someone points out he may have a good tone with Ralph Krueger, just as I type this. Well. Still, would look odd to me, but that is something that could sway.)

krt88nc

Oct 7, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
When you all say I suspect this of that, do you any I formation or are you just taking blind shots in the dark?

We all know UFA disease happens e etc year where give out horrible contract and almost always there is too much term (which is the biggest crime) and too much money.

You simply shouldn’t give a 32 year old bigger than a 3 year deal but I’m guessing that’s the plan! When will they ever learn?

sfoote

Jan 6, 2013
Of all the players for the Sabres to target. Another diminutive forward in his 30’s with recent injuries.

You go Buffalo.
ok, i'll bite, who is the other diminutive forward in their 30's with recent injuries that the Sabres have signed? you go get informed when talking about another team

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
When you all say I suspect this of that, do you any I formation or are you just taking blind shots in the dark?

We all know UFA disease happens e etc year where give out horrible contract and almost always there is too much term (which is the biggest crime) and too much money.

You simply shouldn’t give a 32 year old bigger than a 3 year deal but I’m guessing that’s the plan! When will they ever learn?

Eh, I do think Zucc's game will age well.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
ok, i'll bite, who is the other diminutive forward in their 30's with recent injuries that the Sabres have signed? you go get informed when talking about another team

Jeff Skinner who isn't injury prone and Kyle Okposo who isn't diminutive? If OP's point is that it's risky, well yeah, but that's true for any team. I like the idea, depends on the deal and how he ages whether it'd be a big add or a huge mistake.

Zucc was healthy for 5 seasons straight before this one though, feel that's worth mentioning. Consistent 50 point guy during that time, I think his game ages alright so if last season's health issues were a fluke I'm all for it.

To Buff detractors- idk man, a chance to work with Eichel, Dahlin, and a supposedly beloved coach seems pretty good. If one guy sees the value there then things suddenly look a lot better.

Reactions: Fearnot

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Zuccarello has been talking about retiring when interviewed by norwegian media. Highly unlikely that he’ll do that but what does it say about where he’s at?
Exactly the kind of player Buffalo shouldn’t add. No hunger and his best days behind him.

Nylander, Olofsson, Mittelstadt will all be better than him in a year and he’s not a great fit in our bottom six.
What are you talking about? He hasnt talked about retiring? Never said anything close to it.

FeatherHead

Oct 5, 2017

The Sabres forward group isn't in their 30's or oft injured. But they're small. Only 5 forwards top 200 lbs. Of them, 3 of them top it by 2 lbs. Adding another small forward who IS in their 30's, and has had some injury troubles of late doesn't seem to be the fit you'd be looking for. But hey...have at him. I'm sure he's the solution.

Rivet52

Oct 10, 2008
Buffalo, NY
Zuccarello’s a good player but after that horrific 2016 UFA winger class and the Sabres’ recent bad luck with big free-agent signings, I might rather stay away. If he came at a reasonable term I’d be all for it but if it’s more than three years, I think I’d pass.

We’re already stuck with the Okposo anchor. We’ll have RFAs to pay in the next couple years despite shedding a chunk of cap next summer. We don’t exactly have cap space to throw around. I’d rather sign some bottom-six players to improve those lines considering we have possibly the worst bottom-six in the League. Use the cap space to bring in two or three quality depth players instead of risking another UFA mistake going for the big fish.

Although Zuccarello is a better player than Okposo, Backes and Lucic ever were so at least there’s that. The Sabres could use the skill. Depending on the price I could be okay with this but it still worries me to throw money at a guy that will have to be given a contract going into his mid-30s.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
You'd think they would have to offer him a lot more then the normal team to sign there.

I don't know. He's basically from NY at this point so he would get to see his pal Hank a lot (basically remainder of his career) while playing for a club that SHOULD be competitive sooner than NYR.

4v$7AAV would be a good contract for Buff

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Zuccarello’s a good player but after that horrific 2016 UFA winger class and the Sabres’ recent bad luck with big free-agent signings, I might rather stay away. If he came at a reasonable term I’d be all for it but if it’s more than three years, I think I’d pass.

We’re already stuck with the Okposo anchor. We’ll have RFAs to pay in the next couple years despite shedding a chunk of cap next summer. We don’t exactly have cap space to throw around. I’d rather sign some bottom-six players to improve those lines considering we have possibly the worst bottom-six in the League. Use the cap space to bring in two or three quality depth players instead of risking another UFA mistake going for the big fish.

Although Zuccarello is a better player than Okposo, Backes and Lucic ever were so at least there’s that. The Sabres could use the skill. Depending on the price I could be okay with this but it still worries me to throw money at a guy that will have to be given a contract going into his mid-30s.

Zuccs playstyle is finesse reliant and he's likely to be a 2nd liner and 2nd PP with Eichel and Skinner up front.

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
If Kypreos is right about this, the influencers for Zucc are Ralph Kreuger and Pegula-bucks... Im fine with 5yrs, just write the contract in a way that if his game declines badly in the last couple years it's all cap-hit and no money so you can deal him to a floor team... And no NMC.

Skinner-Eichel-Zucc
Olofsson-*Boyle-Reinhart
Sheary-Mitts-Rodrigues
Girgensons-Larsson-Okposo

*fingers crossed lol

Reactions: coastal

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
If Kypreos is right about this, the influencers for Zucc are Ralph Kreuger and Pegula-bucks... Im fine with 5yrs, just write the contract in a way that if his game declines badly in the last couple years it's all cap-hit and no money so you can deal him to a floor team... And no NMC.

Skinner-Eichel-Zucc
Olofsson-*Boyle-Reinhart
Sheary-Mitts-Rodrigues
Girgensons-Larsson-Okposo

*fingers crossed lol

Things must really be bad in Buffalo if you are hoping that Brian Boyle is your 2nd line center.

BuzzKillington90

Jul 12, 2011
Albion, Ny
Why would anyone want to go to Buffalo. For Zuccarello, this is also about playing with buddys, and perhaps winning something in the last good years of his hockey-life. Seriously, going to Buffalo would be a big surprise. Even if they offered long term and an NMC.

(Edit - and then someone points out he may have a good tone with Ralph Krueger, just as I type this. Well. Still, would look odd to me, but that is something that could sway.)

Was it so necessary to trash the city?

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Lol, some of you folks need a geography lesson. Buffalo is nearly 400 miles away from NYC. It’s like saying he wants to be close to NYC so he’s interested in Pittsburgh. And lord knows Buffalo is nothing like Manhattan.

Buffalo is nothing like Manhattan? NYC has the Hudson River, Buffalo the Niagara River, NYC has the Atlantic Ocean, Buffalo Lake Erie... How can you say they aren't the same? :huh: Yeah, you're right. Manhattan and Buffalo aren't the same. (though I like upper New York State)

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I kinda like the path the Sabres are heading, But I don't like them signing Zuccarello to a long term contract. If Reinhart, Middlestadt, Dahlin turn into stars, they head into the direction of the Jets, Leafs and others....no cap for all their RFAs because of no UFA expiring contracts.

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
Things must really be bad in Buffalo if you are hoping that Brian Boyle is your 2nd line center.

If you're speculating that 'things are bad in buffalo' you must not watch much hockey... Things have been horrible in Buffalo to say the least. Sabres apparently are interested in Boyle as a stop gap #2 or #3C to buy Mitts more development time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad