Zub vs Methot

Better player

• Total voters

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Zub by a healthy margin.

better defensively and offensively, Methot has an edge in physical play but it's not like Zub is soft. A little shocked Meth is winning tbh.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I think ultimately Zub is better on his own than Methot was if you look at the player only. The comparison becomes a bit skewed when all you think about is Karlsson-Methot since that's not necessarily how good Methot was on his own. Zub can do a bit of everything and he's very reliable, he can anchor a pair. Methot on the other hand needed a very good puck moving Dman on his side to be most effective. I think Zub is better since he could pretty much play with anyone decent and it would still be a good pair. Methot was a defense only guy so I don't know how his career would've evolved without a guy like Karlsson.

Zub is a modern day shutdown Dman. He has some offense, he's underrated strong, he uses his positioning to his advantage and even if he's not the biggest guy he always gets the job done. In a perfect world you have both of them on your team but if I had to choose one I would go Zub.

I can only imagine Karlsson-Zub back then, he would rack up 40 pts a season just playing like he does right now.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
So close but I think I'll go Zub. He'll score 30 points one day while being amazing defensively. I love how he can play in all three zones.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Zub is the better defensive player, so cool and calm, and is also the better player in the offensive zone.

Methot was more physical and was solid, but his main job was to give the puck to EK when he got it, and try and cover up for EK when he took off.

Zub is more important on the breakout and transition play on his pairing. Talk about about ice in his veins. Looks a lot colder than Redden to be honest.

I’m getting a nostalgia vibe here. He was a great Sen, but he’s getting the DeMelo inflation here. He played with EK, but wasn’t your typical #2 defenceman.

Reactions: Agent Zub

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Zub is the better defensive player, so cool and calm, and is also the better player in the offensive zone.

Methot was more physical and was solid, but his main job was to give the puck to EK when he got it, and try and cover up for EK when he took off.

Zub is more important on the breakout and transition play on his pairing. Talk about about ice in his veins. Looks a lot colder than Redden to be honest.

I’m getting a nostalgia vibe here. He was a great Sen, but he’s getting the DeMelo inflation here. He played with EK, but wasn’t your typical #2 defenceman.

Exactly. Methot was a good player but he was more of a shovel the puck to the open guy type. Athletic and a good skater but he could only make the safe play.

Zub on the other hand has the deftest of touches. The ways he strips, retains, and moves possession is ridiculous. Sometimes I have to stop and go back to see what he actually did.

The skill gap between the two is pretty large. Zub can carry his pairing, Methot can't.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

I think you're underrating Methot a little here but overall I agree. Zub is the better player.

He is much better with the puck. He applies more pressure in the neutral zone (consistently at least). He looks great with almost anyone.

Zub is the real deal. I loved Methot's game but Zub is more rounded.

Reactions: Ice-Tray and Boud

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
The other thing is that Methot is a guy from the area who we traded for, a lot of people weren't warm at the trade at first, but he worked his way to be a fan favourite from there. He played with one of the most loved Sens players ever for years and years to gain the "status" he has amongst the fanbase. It was the perfect pairing. He's also active on social media, does a Sens podcast, nixed a deal to Toronto, and he was an amazing player. You can't find many players right now that are more loved by this fanbase than Methot.

Zub is still a new player here, it'll take more time for him to have that status amongst the fanbase.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Love Methot but he was a defensive compliment to EK, and he did his job phenomenally. Made that one of the most dangerous pairings in the league cause coaches knew Marc covered when EK was pushing the play. Methot was a defensive rock but maxed at 23pts playing with prime EK, sounds good for a D but lesser playing with EK putting up big numbers.

Zub is a solid second pair guy in all situations, can anchor a line himself in the top 4 without a dynamo. Controversial comparison is Kuba…. Reads the ice better, moves the puck better, brings calm, more rounded. He’s a great top line guy when paired with a star but doesn’t require it. I’m not sure Methot could anchor a second line himself. Zub has half the points as career highs but in half the games and also not beside EK on an offensive juggernaut.

Zub by a fairly wide margin, Sorry Marc ;(

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I think ultimately Zub is better on his own than Methot was if you look at the player only. The comparison becomes a bit skewed when all you think about is Karlsson-Methot since that's not necessarily how good Methot was on his own. Zub can do a bit of everything and he's very reliable, he can anchor a pair. Methot on the other hand needed a very good puck moving Dman on his side to be most effective. I think Zub is better since he could pretty much play with anyone decent and it would still be a good pair. Methot was a defense only guy so I don't know how his career would've evolved without a guy like Karlsson.

Zub is a modern day shutdown Dman. He has some offense, he's underrated strong, he uses his positioning to his advantage and even if he's not the biggest guy he always gets the job done. In a perfect world you have both of them on your team but if I had to choose one I would go Zub.

I can only imagine Karlsson-Zub back then, he would rack up 40 pts a season just playing like he does right now.
Yes, Zub & Methot have different styles. Effectiveness of a defensemen pairing is the sum of the parts. It boils down to knowing the relative strengths and weaknesses of your personnel and then finding the right match or mate.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada

Wow I agree

Reactions: Ice-Tray

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Zub is a more rounded D while Method was more one dimensional defensively & more physically stronger.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Idk, we saw Methot go head to head against Crosby in the playoffs and do very well against him, we saw Methot anchor a shut down pair with Gryba of all people when Karlsson went down in the shortened season,

I think people are underrating Methot's defensive impact. He was a stud and could play it any way you wanted, the size to defend power forwards and the skating to defend against skilled guys. Added those hip checks and you had a defensive Dman that could away momentum.

I like Zub a lot, and he definitely adds more offence (not hard) but right now I'd lean towards Methot, at least as he was with Ottawa.

Both are/were great top 4 dmen.

Reactions: Masked and DrEasy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Both of them can get underrated. I think ability wise they are very close. Both are primarily defensive Dmen. I'll give Methot the nod for being able to add size and physicality which helps defensively. Mobility is similar .. Methot may be faster in a straight line. Hands ..Zub would have a slight edge. Playmaking .. Zub would have a slight edge. Shot ..similar. Smarts..similar.. Offensive zone..Zub would have a slight edge.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad