Post-Game Talk: ZOOMERS CRUSH THE BOOMERS

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I hope Gauthier can be traded and fetch a solid pick in return. 2nd rounder maybe.

The thing is, no matter how well he is playing — and he is playing well for sure! — you need guys like him to step up when games get heated, in rivalries during the regular season or the POs. Will Gauthier do that? He just don’t have an ounce of it in his body.

Rather bet on someone else. I am not too fond of don’t giving someone a second chance. But no matter what what he does now, it just seems so likely that — when we as a team need it the most, seasons are on the line — Gauthier will skate to bench looking down and handing over it to others.

Gauthier couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
I hope Gauthier can be traded and fetch a solid pick in return. 2nd rounder maybe.

The thing is, no matter how well he is playing — and he is playing well for sure! — you need guys like him to step up when games get heated, in rivalries during the regular season or the POs. Will Gauthier do that? He just don’t have an ounce of it in his body.

Rather bet on someone else. I am not too fond of don’t giving someone a second chance. But no matter what what he does now, it just seems so likely that — when we as a team need it the most, seasons are on the line — Gauthier will skate to bench looking down and handing over it to others.

Not every player needs to drop the mitts or play a punishing style. Gauthier has size, speed and decent hands. If other big guys on the ice are banging and causing havoc it makes guys like Gauthier very successful because as you wear down opposing D, they will have a harder time preventing guys like gauthier, kakko, kreiders, Zib, blais and chytil from getting to the net. The thing I'm more worried about with players like gauth is about having a well rounded smart game. If he's keeping things simple and chips pucks past defenders, and can play a strong positional game in his own zone with a good stick then he's a valuable piece. If he wants to have a long career, he needs to figure out how to be effective in all zones. But he's not yet a well rounded player. And he's still needing to gain the trust of management. But just imagine if Gauth could ever become a solid PKer? He could easily become a bigger Grabner for us which would be a huge weapon. But he isn't that now.

That said, this narrative that every bigger, stronger player needs to play a punishing, gritty, in your face style is, well, grating. If you look at the Rangers lineup last night it was a very big lineup. Fox, Lindgren and Mckegg were like the only smaller players on the ice. If you have tons of size and skating ability throughout your lineup not everyone needs to be a meat grinder. When playing an attacking style, the overall team size will begin to overwhelm opponents and create more space/chances. The package of size and speed that Gauth has is only matched by CK and Fil. The speed of those three, when matched with the overall team size is going to wear down defenders more often than not if we're getting pucks deep.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
for sure. he showed great speed and strength there. he was totally an impact player last night.

The thing is, with his increased speed and strength, Kakko is likely going to realize pretty soon that if he wants to control the puck in the offensive zone, very few people will be able to take it away from him.

Reactions: THE BIG WHISTLE

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Yeah, unless you live in Canada or Finland, hockey will never beat out other sports unfortunately.
It's surprising how many soccer stories and video they do in the run of a week .Times have changed somewhat with so many immigrants now Canadian citizens in the last 20 -30 ? years Also....baseball and basketball when it involves the center of the universe Toronto clubs LOL...but yes for the most part if somebody like Price burps it is headline news 24/7 . McDavid not so much because he is in the West . Myself I am a 2 sport fan.....hockey and then baseball....don't care about the rest .

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY

If I was Gauthiers agent I would sit him down and tell him…Listen kid, don’t become Boo Nieves.

Gauthier and Boo Nieves are pretty much the same player.

They have better speed then 70% of the NHL
They have better speed then 95% of NHL 3rd and 4th liners

They have great size to go with the the wheels, and both are incredibly strong so they are so damn intriguing as players.

They both have creativity, and can put the arena at its feet when they use their size to drive the net.

Both are good at protecting the puck in traffic.

Both are cursed with one aspect of their games. They just can’t put the puck in the net, which is why neither of them are destined for top 6 minutes. If they had a scoring touch every GM in the league would be all over these players trying to get them on their respective rosters. Instead, the harsh reality of the situation is one of them at the ripe age of 27 years old is currently unsigned. The other, is fighting to keep his place on the roster.

If I’m Gauthiers agent I’d sit him him down and tell him straight. “Don’t Boo Nieves this kid” Play the game as physical as you possibly can. Engage. Stick up for your boys. Cause if a player with your tools can also play a scrappy role, every damn team in the league will come calling. If that doesn’t happen, it’s likely we won’t even be talking about him on the roster thread within the next 24 months.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Not every player needs to drop the mitts or play a punishing style. Gauthier has size, speed and decent hands. If other big guys on the ice are banging and causing havoc it makes guys like Gauthier very successful because as you wear down opposing D, they will have a harder time preventing guys like gauthier, kakko, kreiders, Zib, blais and chytil from getting to the net. The thing I'm more worried about with players like gauth is about having a well rounded smart game. If he's keeping things simple and chips pucks past defenders, and can play a strong positional game in his own zone with a good stick then he's a valuable piece. If he wants to have a long career, he needs to figure out how to be effective in all zones. But he's not yet a well rounded player. And he's still needing to gain the trust of management. But just imagine if Gauth could ever become a solid PKer? He could easily become a bigger Grabner for us which would be a huge weapon. But he isn't that now.

That said, this narrative that every bigger, stronger player needs to play a punishing, gritty, in your face style is, well, grating. If you look at the Rangers lineup last night it was a very big lineup. Fox, Lindgren and Mckegg were like the only smaller players on the ice. If you have tons of size and skating ability throughout your lineup not everyone needs to be a meat grinder. When playing an attacking style, the overall team size will begin to overwhelm opponents and create more space/chances. The package of size and speed that Gauth has is only matched by CK and Fil. The speed of those three, when matched with the overall team size is going to wear down defenders more often than not if we're getting pucks deep.
OK, but if he's not using his size and speed to play a punishing game then he has to score now and then.

Reactions: Atax

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

The thing is, someone like Gauthier needs ice and room to do well too. He is like Nash in that regard. Everyone most not drop the mitts, but you need everyone to contribute in the hardest games. I just see an overwhelming risk that Gauthier might do well for stretches, but that he will be a total non-factors when it matters.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
The thing is, someone like Gauthier needs ice and room to do well too. He is like Nash in that regard. Everyone most not drop the mitts, but you need everyone to contribute in the hardest games. I just see an overwhelming risk that Gauthier might do well for stretches, but that he will be a total non-factors when it matters.
Small sample but he did well last light against maybe the best team at limiting time and space

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Gauthier was one of the TOP 3 consistent fwds in Preseason. Trade him for something > Him and Georgiev for Crouse and a pick... This is not a rumor.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
This was the game that I had my season expectations riding on. Isles have had our number for a little while now. We handled them and the best part is the kids did the heavy lifting.

Reactions: Cmox and ohbaby

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
One would have thought the “reinvent yourself to stay in the NHL” alarm bell should have gone off by now.

It has. You can see him chipping pucks in and pressuring d-men. If this was a normal team, he’d be a 3rd liner. His size, strength and reach will be effective somewhere. Even if he settles in as a 15-15 guy

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
McKegg-Barron-Hunt would be a legitimate 4th line on 2/3 the teams in the league and it’s our 5th or 6th line in the organization depth chart. That shows just how much our depth has improved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad