Zibanejad vs Barzal

Who’s the better player?

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Who’s the better player?

I'll give you my opinion on Zib - I'm very unsure about what player he is.

Never topped 51 point in a season until 2019, and just seemed some average player like many others.
In 2019, still not ppg, but closer, so some potential, but its probably career year non-repeatable.
Then last year out of nowhere - he's almost rivaling Drai/McDavid on ppg, and Matthews/Ovi on goal pace, among league leaders.
And then - he had like 11 points in 27 games and sucked bad to start, and last year seemed a pipe dream.
And now - he starts again and has 15 points in 5 games.

I simply don't trust him enough to vote him above Barzal (nor EP in other thread). I feel like he could be rated very very high if he can convince me last year and these past few games is what he's capable of - but I want to see him be more consistent rest of season first to get a better idea of who he is.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Covid really hurt Zibby, but he has gained the muscle in his legs back about 7 games ago. His core strength is also back, which allows him to shoot that blistering shot of his.

All in all, Zibanejad would probably have more points than barzal had he not gotten covid. Aside from points, I think Barzal is the more useful player and has a bigger impact during the playoffs.

Final answer: Barzal

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Barzal's reputation is far higher than his actual level. Zibanejad has heavily outproduced Barzal the past 3 seasons, is several tiers higher as a goal scorer, and kills penalties at a high level.

Barzal produces the occasional highlight reel play and suddenly he's better AINEC? They have identical production this season even after Zib's horrible start.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Barzal's reputation is far higher than his actual level. Zibanejad has heavily outproduced Barzal the past 3 seasons, is several tiers higher as a goal scorer, and kills penalties at a high level.

Barzal produces the occasional highlight reel play and suddenly he's better AINEC? They have identical production this season even after Zib's horrible start.

It's almost as if they play on different teams with different coaches at different stages of maturity. Pepe real sad.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009

1 more thing --- When the Rangers went to the Stanley Cup that 1 time against the kings, THEY"RE LEADING SCORER IN THE REG SEASON DIDN"T CRACK 60 POINTS. The Isles leading scorer (Okposo) out did the Rangers top dog by 10 points and the Isles missed the playoffs. Clearly Okposo was better than anyone on that SCF Ranger squad. PEPE REAL SAD

Reactions: MikeyMike01

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
You create the worst threads.

What is a bad poll though? If I wanna investigate the HF status of Zibanejad, especially after his recent crazy hot streak, in comparison to Barzal, considering Zibby’s higher scoring rate over the last few seasons and Barzal’s generally higher status as an NHL star and super talent, your opinion about whether the poll is “bad” (by which you mean “not close”) or not is pretty irrelevant.

Reactions: Garthinater

The S5

Jul 27, 2017

So, you are just figuring out that we live in the highlight, hot take era? "Did you see that move that Barzal made that was plastered on Instagram? That was sick dude!".

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Different styles for sure...One in Barzal is a great playmaker and if he had better wingers to pass to,he likely is a PPG player every year...Zbad is very much a shooting center that can strike for 30 to 40 goals...Barzal for me as I feel he can generate more offensive chances on his own,but can see an arguement for Zbad

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don't get people saying it's not close. Zibanejad is having a bad season and he has as many points as Barzal in one fewer game.

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It's almost as if they play on different teams with different coaches at different stages of maturity. Pepe real sad.
The Islanders have more goals than the Rangers and Zibanejad gets way more difficult usage, so I can't imagine what you're implying here.

ThatsSoSlavin

Aug 23, 2018
I don't get people saying it's not close. Zibanejad is having a bad season and he has as many points as Barzal in one fewer game.
12 of those points came in two games, a crazy feat but how often is that going to happen? The constancy separates them imo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad