Zibanejad headshot on Bozak

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Looks like the league agrees this was clean as a whistle. Diving doesn't as always pay.

Bozak clearly got hit in the head. Penalty was absolutely deserved.

My guess is the league thought it was an accident, or at the very least lacked enough evidence to be sure it wasn't and didn't see it as reckless.

Hope Bozak is ok, never like to see a guy get concussed.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Bet the lack of intent is why there is no discipline. He didn't appear to be looking at Bozak when contact was made. For those calling it a dive, catching a punch/elbow to the chin can make your legs/body do weird things.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Bet the lack of intent is why there is no discipline. He didn't appear to be looking at Bozak when contact was made. For those calling it a dive, catching a punch/elbow to the chin can make your legs/body do weird things.

It looked pretty innocuous live, but when you see multiple angles, and how it went down, I really don't understand how anyone could call it a dive.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
This league is a complete joke. Don't want a suspension? Just pretend to look the other way while you chuck your elbow out, you'll be fine!

He went out of his way to hit a player ineligible to be checked while also flinging his elbows about, it should be two games without even a thought.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
All came down to a player changing his path prior to contact. Once hockey fans realize this is apart of the decision making they will have a better understanding of the decisions made. Hell its covered in the rule, go read that.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Dirty hit, 2 games. He clearly got hit, but the way he propelled forward on the dive was pretty funny.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Suppose I should start the post by saying I'm a Leafs fan...

1) Bozak didn't dive. Have you never seen a forward jump around a defending player to get around him and into the zone? That's exactly what Bozak was in the process of doing when he got clipped. To not realize that seems insane to me.

2) It's not suspension worthy. The penalty on the play is fine because there was head contact but I don't see anything malicious or even much intent there.

3) It sucks if Bozak is hurt. He's been a real strong player for the Leafs this year and proving he's not just dependant on Kessel. He's a legitimate and good NHL player.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
This league is a complete joke. Don't want a suspension? Just pretend to look the other way while you chuck your elbow out, you'll be fine!

He went out of his way to hit a player ineligible to be checked while also flinging his elbows about, it should be two games without even a thought.

I think you're exaggerating.

IMO yes he could have easily gotten a couple games, but it would have been due to recklessness, not due to intent.

ThrowDemTongs

kid named jeff finger
Mar 21, 2013
Coquitlam, BC
Looks like the league agrees this was clean as a whistle. Diving doesn't as always pay.

Ya, bud, he's really trying to sell the dive too. He's not going on the Western road trip. What a faker.

So, basically you have Ottawa fans saying it wasn't a dirty hit, then you have everyone else.

Sounds about right.

Raymoondo

Leafs Cup 2021
Apr 9, 2013
Toronto

lol. Just because it doesn't get a suspension doesn't mean it's a clean hit. Just waiting for you to claim the penalty was unwarranted too, unless I missed that post already.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Ya, bud, he's really trying to sell the dive too. He's not going on the Western road trip. What a faker.

So, basically you have Ottawa fans saying it wasn't a dirty hit, then you have everyone else.

Sounds about right.

I'm a Sens fan, I don't think it was a clean hit since the point of contract was the head.

Whether or not it is intentional is a different question though, I really don't think it was but that doesn't change the fact that a hit where the point of contact is the head is basically a head shot and whether or not the player receiving the hit is injured, whether or not it was intentional, there should be a suspension and that's on the league to set some clear rules.

If the league wants to eliminate headshots, it will have to regroup incidents where player are injured or not, where it was intentional or not, and whether the gravity of the injury is severe or not. Bottom line is a headshot is a headshot. Now, I agree that there should be different lenght based on the things I mentioned before, but at least a suspension or fine should be given to the players to let them know that it is unacceptable and that they are responsible for what they do on the ice, again intentional or not.

For what it's worth, I'd be surprised if Zibanejad didn't get a call from the league or get a warning. IIRC it's the first time Zibanejad has ever done something like this so I'm guessing the league let it go, whether it's right or not is another question, but it's the precedent they've set so far.

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
Oh look, nothing happened, another overreaction by leaf fans and hfboards.

Hockey is a physical sport, if you can't handle it... I hear baseballs coming up

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

It seems whenever a Maple Leafs player gets hit in the head and suffers a concussion the league never suspends the guilty player. Besides Zibanejad inuring Bozak since he won't be on their road trip to Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver, remember when Ovechkin gave Leo Komarov a concussion and he missed a lot of games after that, along with no suspension to Ovechkin.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Huh?

I thought Mika was trying to bat the puck out of the air, and when he misses, his elbow comes up and hits Bozak, who is trying to jump around him.

Unfortunate, but no malice or intention.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Huh?

I thought Mika was trying to bat the puck out of the air, and when he misses, his elbow comes up and hits Bozak, who is trying to jump around him.

Unfortunate, but no malice or intention.

hmm I never considered that Zibanejad might have been swinging at the puck, might have to re-watch the footage to see if that's a plausible explanation.

My initial though was he was trying to get body position on Bozak, but his elbow coming up always seemed a touch reckless. If it's a follow through on a missed attempt to bat the puck out of the air, it would potentially explain a lot as if it was his regular skating stride, I don't know why he'd spin around a bit after contact.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Suppose I should start the post by saying I'm a Leafs fan...

1) Bozak didn't dive. Have you never seen a forward jump around a defending player to get around him and into the zone? That's exactly what Bozak was in the process of doing when he got clipped. To not realize that seems insane to me.

2) It's not suspension worthy. The penalty on the play is fine because there was head contact but I don't see anything malicious or even much intent there.

3) It sucks if Bozak is hurt. He's been a real strong player for the Leafs this year and proving he's not just dependant on Kessel. He's a legitimate and good NHL player.

this is the most intelligent post in here. well played sir!

Bozak got clipped trying to avoid a collision that looked to be accidental. I agree it wasn't suspension worthy. It was fine worthy. It wasn't discussion worthy. He got two minutes and that's all it was worth. And it always sucks when one of your guys is hurt.

This thread is part of the problem with HF. You have people in here that I presume are just trying to stir the pot. And then you've got the crowd that cannot get beyond their own team bias.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad