Confirmed with Link: Zibanejad, 2nd to NYR for Brassard, 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
You guys are truly classy fans, love the respect you show Zibanejad. :handclap:

My impression is that Zib really enjoyed life in Ottawa a lot.

It's very difficult finding hockey players not wanting to play for the Rangers and living in New York though, it will be a fantastic challenge for him. This fact probably makes the move a little bit easier for him but I am sure he is in shock still.

His house and house project is a proof he wanted to make a life in Ottawa.

I feel the Ottawa management is acting a little bit like the Maple Leafs has done a lot over the years, lack of patience with young talanted players but hopefully I am wrong. Getting rid of the young talanted ones, keeping the wrong ones.

Back when the Leafs did it they were a old team while Ottawa is a very young team some have said to young.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Zib is a very talanted player. I believe he needs tough/good coaching and being forced to play with more fire. He has the size, strength and technique to become a winner but he need some more grit, aggressiveness and fire out there.

In the right environment he may become a star. Zibs huge talent is showing now and then with impressive vision and goals.

Brassard is perhaps less talanted than Zib but stronger mentally playing with more will and grit, at least right now. Brassard is the kind of player you want in the playoffs, a leader, clutch and Zib is not there yet.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
You guys are truly classy fans, love the respect you show Zibanejad. :handclap:

My impression is that Zib really enjoyed life in Ottawa a lot.

It's very difficult finding hockey players not wanting to play for the Rangers and living in New York though, it will be a fantastic challenge for him. This fact probably makes the move a little bit easier for him but I am sure he is in shock still.

His house and house project is a proof he wanted to make a life in Ottawa.

I feel the Ottawa management is acting a little bit like the Maple Leafs has done a lot over the years, lack of patience with young talanted players but hopefully I am wrong. Getting rid of the young talanted ones, keeping the wrong ones.

New management with a new vision that incorporates our recent first round picks in the plan.

The team has had a rather poor three seasons in row barring that incredible run to the playoffs, something had to give and we have the best dman in the NHL. The time to make some noise is now and if that means we trade away a promising young player like Zibanejad (and he really is) then so be it.

Dorion said it best on the radio when asked why he gave up on Zibanejad: he said he wasn't going to get Brassard for nothing, he had to give up someone good and he did.

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
He can win us games in the regular season and one playoff series. The rest of the idiots have to show up at some point too.

and how did he do against Pittsburgh again??? :laugh: please. He's washed.

Go back to your board and enjoy our trash.

We win. you lose.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Don't totally hate the move of Brassard-in Zibby-out, but the second? was it necessary? Yes I know it probably was or else I doubt Dorion adds it just to be nice.

With money in, it kinda makes me feel like another move could be coming...?

Many on the forum thought a second was a low price to pay to move up 1 spot at the draft to get Brown. Only time will tell. BUT it appears that Dorion does not value seconds very highly! :)

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Many on the forum thought a second was a low price to pay to move up 1 spot at the draft to get Brown. Only time will tell. BUT it appears that Dorion does not value seconds very highly! :)

3rd was added to move up for Brown not to dispute your point...

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Good trade. Zib was streaky, soft, lacked intensity and had fitness issues. The money part works out well for the Sens too.

You summarized it very well. It makes the Senators better next season and may be enough to get them into the playoffs. Might even win round 1. But no mare than that. Makes Melnyk's wallet thicker over the next 3 years.

TheSenator

The other guys
Apr 4, 2013
Ottawa, ON
I agree that Brassard is the better player this year but I think this one will sting when we look back on it.

If Zib takes this as a knock to his ego and comes back with a chip on his shoulder he could be a monster.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I agree that Brassard is the better player this year but I think this one will sting when we look back on it.

If Zib takes this as a knock to his ego and comes back with a chip on his shoulder he could be a monster.

it's true that with his size and skills he could be a monster.

hope he doesn't become a monster. :popcorn::(

(i'm going to say honestly though, that I don't see the passion getting to the monster level. AND he didn't work with anyone here. Last guys were conacher and silfverberg)

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa

I think Dorion's fully aware of this possibility. He's just not willing to risk the possibility that Zibby doesn't develop the game awareness and competitive drive that we've been waiting on. I think he's made the right decision. I don't see any need to torture myself over the risk that's apparent to everyone.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
Pierre is probably thinking about winning for Bryan a bit too. Can't blame him really.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
This trade only goes to show that this franchise has neither any idea nor any money, to ever be a contender as long as the current owners and staff are running things.

As if the trade in itself wasn't dumb enough, Ottawa even threw in a 2nd.

This will challenge the Bishop for Conacher trade as the worst in recent memory.

And hey, this off season isn't over by a long-shot, Ottawa can still make an even dumber trade - if that is at all possible.:rant:

Selanne was traded out of Winnipeg because of budget issues many years ago? Karlsson will need a new contract in a few years, and I suspect the budget will dictate what happens to him.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Selanne was traded out of Winnipeg because of budget issues many years ago? Karlsson will need a new contract in a few years, and I suspect the budget will dictate what happens to him.

Karlsson doesn't cost money, Karlsson makes money. From the team's side, they will find a way to fit him - depends on what he wants to do.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
I applaud PD for the initiative that he's shown to shake things up. Some moves may backfire. No one is perfect. Hindsight is 20-20, and there will be people that will say "See, I told you so!", but at least he is not content with the status quo. The roster had to change. The fact that some moves may be made with the thought of saving cash doesn't bother me one bit. All GM' are supposed to do that. In the Era of the salary cap, every dollar counts.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013

All i have to say is lol at suggesting this trade challenges the Bishop trade for worst trade ever.

Last edited:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I got to talk hockey with Bryan Murray today for a bit (frequents my work) and started by asking about Brassard. They obviously really like him and they were saying they spoke with Stone and Ceci who played with him at the world's about him, they had lots of good things to say about him including how good he is in the room. Talked to Methot as well from what I gather.

Also sounds like they've been after Brassard for awhile.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016

I get what you are saying but if he uses this as a motivational factor it would be a shot to his ego that he wouldn't have received while wearing a Senators jersey anyway.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
Just don't watch zibby highlights from the last few years. it will hurt

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Yeah, if it clicks like it did with Seguin (before anyone goes nuts, I'm not expecting Seguin numbers or dominance from Zibby), then we really have egg on our faces.

Always a big risk giving up on young players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad