Zhluktov vs Ruzicka: An under appreciated Soviet vs his Czech counterpart

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
VanIslander and I currently have clubs in the MLD final over on the All-Time Draft board, and Zhluktov and Ruzicka are our respective 2nd line C’s. Different type of players of course, but the matchup got us wondering how the two compare against each other.

Both had very solid international careers, with Ruzicka having a really strong 91-92 season with the Bruins and playing parts of 5 seasons in the NHL. Zhluktov had his career cut short by injuries, but it’s interesting to wonder how he could have performed at the NHL level. He played a power forward type game, so I think it’s safe to say his game likely could have translated to the North American style quite nicely.

Ruzicka is the bigger name internationally. Zhluktov seems to be under appreciated in terms of Soviets from that era.

In their primes and at their best, who do you think was superior? And could Zhluktov have had a bigger impact at the NHL level?

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The opening rally:

Ruzicka was named the Czechoslovakian player of the year in 1986 and 1988. He went on to be the Boston Bruins leader in goals and 2nd to Bourque in points, later captaining the Czech team to gold in the epic 1998 Olympics.

Zhluktov scored 9 points in 5 games in the 1976 Canada Cup, tying Orr and Potvin. He was on the gold-medal Olympic team that year. He was on four world championship gold teams thereafter.

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Ruzicka was 6'3 210 lbs.
Zhluktov was 6'2 209 lbs.

According to wiki.

Basically they were both big pivots who could skate.

Last edited:

Tenkkapoo

Jul 28, 2020
Zhluktov easily.

How many better centers did the Soviet Union actually produce than Zhluktov? I would say that Petrov, Starshinov, Shadrin, Bykov, Larionov and then in the late 80s Fedorov. But who else? Maybe Almetov, but not sure about that. Vikulov too, but his career on the national was shorter than Zhluktov's.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
VanIslander and I currently have clubs in the MLD final over on the All-Time Draft board, and Zhluktov and Ruzicka are our respective 2nd line C’s. Different type of players of course, but the matchup got us wondering how the two compare against each other.

Both had very solid international careers, with Ruzicka having a really strong 91-92 season with the Bruins and playing parts of 5 seasons in the NHL. Zhluktov had his career cut short by injuries, but it’s interesting to wonder how he could have performed at the NHL level. He played a power forward type game, so I think it’s safe to say his game likely could have translated to the North American style quite nicely.

Ruzicka is the bigger name internationally. Zhluktov seems to be under appreciated in terms of Soviets from that era.

In their primes and at their best, who do you think was superior? And could Zhluktov have had a bigger impact at the NHL level?

seriously your team has a bigger problem with Larouche as your number 1 center......

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
seriously your team has a bigger problem with Larouche as your number 1 center......

You kinda need to know the context of the league to really be able to say that. A good thing to start with would be, who else is playing as scoring line centers in that league?

Maybe Larouche is awesome, maybe he's poor, I don't know. there are contexts in which he could be either. I haven't looked closely at the league but I suspect neither have you.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
You kinda need to know the context of the league to really be able to say that. A good thing to start with would be, who else is playing as scoring line centers in that league?

Maybe Larouche is awesome, maybe he's poor, I don't know. there are contexts in which he could be either. I haven't looked closely at the league but I suspect neither have you.

You are right, I haven't looked closely at the league but we can both agree that Larouche isn't a guy anyone would want to build a team around and that his playoff resume is really poor even on good teams.

He is sort of a center version of Phil Kessel in the 70s but lacked consistency and had some injury problems as well.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I remember Larouche.

Many people used to criticize him for lacking effort, the question being whether he was the Tin Man (no heart) or the Cowardly Lion (no bravery/grit).

In my 15+ years of all-time drafting, ATDs, MLDs, AAAs and drafts below them, i have never drafted him nor given him a moment's thought. And i have given Yashin (undrafted this year) a thought, and i loathe Yashin.

History should hit the flush button.

Reactions: wetcoast

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Good thing for me then that the voters disagree.

Larouche was voted 1st star of the series in my first round victory, and then 2nd star in my 2nd round victory. And him being a 1st line center in a MINOR league draft wasn’t too big of a problem - considering the voters have voted the “Larouche-lead” team all the way to the championship round.

Viktor Zhluktov
Art Chapman
Vlad Ruzicka
Robbie Ftorek
Herb Jordan
Jimmy Carson
Robert Lang
Gus Bodnar
Bob Carpenter
Mike Rogers
Alexei Guryshev
Billy Reay
Harry “Moose” Watson
Cliff Ronning
Thomas Gradin

These are the other top 6 C’s in our league. Larouche is more than fine in that group. He’s a scoring center playing a prime offensive role on a top line in a minor league draft. His role is to score goals. Cory Stillman’s role is to get him the puck. Grant Warwick’s role is to provide chippy forechecking play to create space for the other two and to chip in offensively when possible.

Let’s not overthink this. It’s a minor league draft - one in which I’m in the FINALS with Larouche as my #1C. It must not have been too big of an issue? Especially considering the quality of opposition.

If you want a scoring C in a top 6 role considering the players that were available, you could do a hell of a lot worse than Pierre Larouche - even with his warts.

How many “ideal” 1st line C’s do we think are available to “build around” in the 1000 range? Because that’s the pool that is available for drafting, after an ATD.

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Good thing for me then that the voters disagree.

Larouche was voted 1st star of the series in my first round victory, and then 2nd star in my 2nd round victory. And him being a 1st line center in a MINOR league draft wasn’t too big of a problem - considering the voters have voted the “Larouche-lead” team all the way to the championship round.

Viktor Zhluktov
Art Chapman
Vlad Ruzicka
Robbie Ftorek
Herb Jordan
Jimmy Carson
Robert Lang
Gus Bodnar
Bob Carpenter
Mike Rogers
Alexei Guryshev
Billy Reay
Harry “Moose” Watson
Cliff Ronning
Thomas Gradin

These are the other top 6 C’s in our league. Larouche is more than fine in that group. He’s a scoring center playing a prime offensive role on a top line in a minor league draft. His role is to score goals. Cory Stillman’s role is to get him the puck. Grant Warwick’s role is to provide chippy forechecking play to create space for the other two and to chip in offensively when possible.

Let’s not overthink this. It’s a minor league draft - one in which I’m in the FINALS with Larouche as my #1C. It must not have been too big of an issue? Especially considering the quality of opposition.

If you want a scoring C in a top 6 role considering the players that were available, you could do a hell of a lot worse than Pierre Larouche - even with his warts.

How many “ideal” 1st line C’s do we think are available to “build around” in the 1000 range? Because that’s the pool that is available for drafting, after an ATD.

Ronning, Gradin, Ftorek, Carson, Carpenter, and Reay would be my bottom 6 from that group. A few of them would be worthy bottom sixers, a few better suited on a scoring line at the next level.

The other 9, hard to choose from among them.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Top vs. Bottom center is an interesting discussion.

Gradin, Ftorek, Reay are more likely than Ronning, Carson or Larouche to make the 3rd line.

As GMs Quinn, Lowe and others have on the record said: If you don't check, you don't make the bottom 6 (if you don't score, you don't make the top 6).

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Top vs. Bottom center is an interesting discussion.

Gradin, Ftorek, Reay are more likely than Ronning, Carson or Larouche to make the 3rd line.

As GMs Quinn, Lowe and others have on the record said: If you don't check, you don't make the bottom 6 (if you don't score, you don't make the top 6).

Ftorek, Reay and Carpenter are obviously perfectly capable bottom sixers - they have the skill sets for that. Carson and Ronning, obviously not. Gradin? Well, he had some Saku Koivu-like heart and determination, but he didn't "check" per se, wasn't a needle mover defensively, didn't kill a great deal of penalties and didn't scare anyone. In this context, he's a lot more like Carson/Ronning than he is like Ftorek/Reay/Carpenter.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I remember Gradin as the first physical Swede I ever saw.

"Gradin dished it out more than he had to take it," his captain Smyl said, mentioning a particularly vicious check by a Flyer. See it here, after the 4min. mark:

He also was "good at both ends". That gels with my memory. I later compared Pivonka and Backstrom in Washington to him, a pass-first, skilled, responsible backchecker.

He was no Carson, Ronning.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Zhluktov is the name rarely recalled nowadays, but he was considered the 2C in late 70s on the Soviet team, ahead of Maltsev, which was a pretty remarcable achievement. I mean, Maltsev was obviously the better player overall, but at his peak Zhluktov was very close to him. He was big and very good 2-way center, and it's kinda strange, that he wasn't very popular in Canada. I'd say, he was a prototypical center by Canadian standarts and would have been at least a star in the NHL.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Arnott reminded me of Zhluktov.

Not exceptionally talented, but physically strong and skilled enough to click with skilled wingers.

Arnott scored 100+ goals with three different franchises, only making any all-time impact as a Devil with Elias and Sykora on "The A Line".

-----

Maltsev had SUPERpowers! His skating, his ability to juke and surge and shoot... world class!

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Zhluktov easily.

How many better centers did the Soviet Union actually produce than Zhluktov? I would say that Petrov, Starshinov, Shadrin, Bykov, Larionov and then in the late 80s Fedorov. But who else? Maybe Almetov, but not sure about that. Vikulov too, but his career on the national was shorter than Zhluktov's.

Vikulov was a winger.

Centers who were definitely regarded higher than Zhluktov would also include Maltsev and Viktor Yakushev. And Almetov for sure.

CambieKev

Scout. Future Considerations, Dobber Prospects.
Aug 26, 2019
Ruzicka was 6'3 210 lbs.
Zhluktov was 6'2 209 lbs.

According to wiki.

Basically they were both big pivots who could skate.
What I noticed when I watched Vladimir Ruzicka was just how clunky he looked on the ice. He wasn't a particularly responsible player on the defensive side of the puck and would just float around until the puck went up to him.

He was a terrible fit for the Edmonton Oilers under coach John Muckler.

Ruzicka joined the team in January 1990, played 25 regular season games with the team, and then sat in the press box throughout the entire 1990 Stanley Cup run.

Ruzicka was very prolific in international play and especially at home, though, during the 1980s. He was a star in the top Czechoslovak league, enough so that HC Litvinov retired his number just before he decided to depart for the NHL.

When Jaromir Jagr was a prospect, a few reports compared him to Ruzicka.

Ruzicka, funnily enough, was compared to Mario Lemieux.

"He can be like Mario... They have the same style. Both are big, have long arms and seem slow, but they're not... [Ruzicka] is great in the offensive zone, but he's never played defensively." - Jiri Hrdina, former Team Czechoslovakia teammate, 1990 ("Mario's shot is Jim-dandy - trainer," Patrick Doyle, Toronto Star, 15 Jan 1990).

"We [Sather and chief scout Barry Fraser] saw him play once in Prague. He scored a great goal. He's big and rangy. He's got lots of talent. He shoots the puck like crazy and can really handle it... He gets a lot of room. He's up the ice like [Mario] Lemieux a lot; he's so big and intimidating, and there's a lot more body contact over there than in, say, Finland or Sweden."
- Glen Sather, 1989 ("Sather hits snag in Czech deal," Jim Matheson, Edmonton Journal, 1 Dec 1989).

"Ruzicka is a highly skilled offensive player, the breakaway king of international hockey who excels on the power play. In Canadian street hockey he would be called a goal-suck - cherry-picker is the term in Saskatchewan, according to Dave King - the kid who plays three houses up the street waiting for the breakaway pass . . . Ruzicka is a dandy big-ice swooper of the Vaclav Nedomansky and Ivan Hlinka style whose effectiveness would be diminished greatly in the close quarters of the small NHL ponds." - Frank Orr, journalist, 1987 ("Rebellion in the ranks," Frank Orr, Toronto Star, 20 Dec 1987).

"Not letting the individual use his skills is the game here, and Ruzicka is a highly skilled hockey player... He makes great plays given the opportunity to do that. I think he has to make his plays a little bit quicker... And the team concept we're using is totally different from what he's been used to throughout his career. You can only do this through time, and I find that he is a fast learner. He works very hard, he's dedicated, he's really trying to adjust... When you're going through an adjustment like this, you're not sure of yourself...

You have to think about what you're doing, and that's the problem. Hockey is a game of instincts and reflexes, and that's something a player has to learn through repetition... I think that's where Ruzicka is at this particular time... I think we're hurting him... We hurt his game, we hurt his skills, because we made him think about it... We don't demand so much backchecking from Ruzicka as it seems...

But, in our system, he's got to have some defensive responsibilities. We can't change the team for Ruzicka. He's got to change for the team. To win the Stanley Cup, it doesn't take the team with the best talent. It takes the best team at that time. We're trying to work Ruzicka into our system so he can benefit from it, and the club can benefit from it."
- John Muckler, March 1990 ("Ruzicka a rookie all over again," Peter Adler, Edmonton Journal, 10 Mar 1990).

"Ruzicka realizes he has to play better defensively... He was the best player in Czechoslovakia, captain of the national team, 48 goals in 40 games and now he has to adjust his style. It's not easy but he is not blaming the coaches or anything like that... He knows what he has to do. He doesn't want to go out there, make a mistake and hurt the team." - Petr Klima, teammate and Czech-English interpreter, April 1990 ("Czech mates in review," Elliott Pap, Vancouver Sun, 1990).

He was a very opportunistic type of player. Both Klima and Hrdina had played with him before and were quite blunt about it. It's a very one-way style that later allowed Pavel Brendl to light up the WHL in 1998-99.

Vladimir Yurzinov, long-time assistant coach of Team Soviet Union, commented on Ruzicka's play in Boston.

"I've known him since he was a child... I was not surprised but it was pleasant to see how he played... He's always been talented, but in our understanding, he always played according to his mood at the time... I think they like to use him only on attack. He did not play so well defensively since he was young... I think the Boston coaches use him the right way... They play him with [Cam] Neely and [Craig] Janney." - Vladimir Yurzinov, Soviet national team assistant coach, May 1991 ("Bruins using Ruzicka wisely," Toronto Star, 5 May 1991).

Rick Bowness was able to put Ruzicka in a situation in which he could thrive in Boston. However, the very next season Bowness was replaced by Brian Sutter. The latter was known for his intensity.

"Talent doesn't just come in six-foot-four bodies... It's not how big you are in this game, it's how bad you want to compete. There's a difference between guys who come to play and guys who come to bleeping compete... The guys I want are the ones who come to bleeping compete... I've coached four years in the NHL. I know the league and I knew this team. It had the reputation for winning by out-working other clubs, but the problem it had last year was too many people thought all it took to out-work the opposition was just showing up." - Boston Bruins coach Brian Sutter, December 1992 ("Sutter philosophy is simple to follow," Lloyd McLachlan, Windsor Star, 19 Dec 1992).

When Ruzicka went to Ottawa in an attempt to rekindle his success with Bowness, it never happened. The Senators weren't quite as talented at that point as the Bruins were. They were a bad team.

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Vikulov took the opening face off of the 1972 Summit Series.

Like Maltsev, the natural center played more RW on the national team.

DN28

Jan 2, 2014
Prague
The answer is Ruzicka. Several times voted as top 10 player in Europe. The best Czech forward of the 1980s, whereas Zhluktov was what, 12th best Soviet F of the 1970s?

I know it's bit misleading since Zhluktov's career is split fifty fifty betwen 70s and 80s but the difference between these two players is significant in my opinion.

Zhluktov got a vote in the 'Soviet Player of the Year' award JUST ONCE and even that was so-so. It was in 1979 when the Izvestia voting for the best player in Europe completely substituted the SPOTY. Out of 578 European writers (voters) Zhluktov received three 2nd places and six 3rd places - good enough for the 14th best Soviet player for the season.

I repeat Zhluktov otherwise never got a single SPOTY vote.

Zhluktov also finished in top 10 scoring in the Soviet league just once (5th in 1981).

Now, I know Zhluktov's credentials were almost certainly damaged by being kind of hidden in lower lines of both CSKA and USSR National Team. It's obvious from videos that the guy had a lot of talent. One time Zhluktov got the spotlight (Canada Cup 76 when Petrov's Troika was missing), he used it to the maximum with 9 points in 5 games and becoming the leading scorer of the tournament.

But however you want to "adjust" Zhluktov's scoring to his benefit, difference contra Ruzicka is just too big.

Very briefly...

1983 - 19 y/o Ruzicka starts his international career.
1984 - Ruzicka won the CSSR league scoring. 2nd best CSSR player (Golden stick voting...)
1985 - Although voted as only 6th best CSSR player (and 3rd in league scoring), Ruzicka contributed greatly for the gold medal that Czechoslovakia won at the '85 WHC as the media made him all-star C of that tournament. Ruzicka was also voted as 7th best player in Europe (Izvestia voting...).
1986 - The best player in Czechoslovakia (his 1st Golden stick win). 2nd in reg. season scoring, 1st in playoffs scoring. Voted as 6th best player in Europe at the end of season.
1987 - An off season as Ruzicka finished just 9th in GS voting and got no Izvestia votes. In the League, he finished 3rd in reg. season and 7th in playoffs.
1988 - The best player in Czechoslovakia (his 2nd Golden stick). Won the regular season domestic scoring.
1989 - 2nd best player in Czechoslovakia. Won both reg. season scoring and playoffs scoring. Voted as 7th best player in Europe.

Yes, Ruzicka didn't backcheck or really contributed anyhow outside the offensive zone (he was a great leader/captain though) and Zhluktov was much more complete player. But this is the case where there is so much offensive skills with Ruzicka (compared to Zhluktov) that it makes it clear which player was the better one. I don't think Zhluktov would have ever been considered a top 10 player in Europe at any point. Ruzicka was at least three times.

Last edited:
Reactions: seventieslord

DN28

Jan 2, 2014
Prague
What I noticed when I watched Vladimir Ruzicka was just how clunky he looked on the ice. He wasn't a particularly responsible player on the defensive side of the puck and would just float around until the puck went up to him.

He was a terrible fit for the Edmonton Oilers under coach John Muckler.

Ruzicka joined the team in January 1990, played 25 regular season games with the team, and then sat in the press box throughout the entire 1990 Stanley Cup run.

Ruzicka was very prolific in international play and especially at home, though, during the 1980s. He was a star in the top Czechoslovak league, enough so that HC Litvinov retired his number just before he decided to depart for the NHL.

When Jaromir Jagr was a prospect, a few reports compared him to Ruzicka.

Ruzicka, funnily enough, was compared to Mario Lemieux.

"He can be like Mario... They have the same style. Both are big, have long arms and seem slow, but they're not... [Ruzicka] is great in the offensive zone, but he's never played defensively." - Jiri Hrdina, former Team Czechoslovakia teammate, 1990 ("Mario's shot is Jim-dandy - trainer," Patrick Doyle, Toronto Star, 15 Jan 1990).

"We [Sather and chief scout Barry Fraser] saw him play once in Prague. He scored a great goal. He's big and rangy. He's got lots of talent. He shoots the puck like crazy and can really handle it... He gets a lot of room. He's up the ice like [Mario] Lemieux a lot; he's so big and intimidating, and there's a lot more body contact over there than in, say, Finland or Sweden."
- Glen Sather, 1989 ("Sather hits snag in Czech deal," Jim Matheson, Edmonton Journal, 1 Dec 1989).

"Ruzicka is a highly skilled offensive player, the breakaway king of international hockey who excels on the power play. In Canadian street hockey he would be called a goal-suck - cherry-picker is the term in Saskatchewan, according to Dave King - the kid who plays three houses up the street waiting for the breakaway pass . . . Ruzicka is a dandy big-ice swooper of the Vaclav Nedomansky and Ivan Hlinka style whose effectiveness would be diminished greatly in the close quarters of the small NHL ponds." - Frank Orr, journalist, 1987 ("Rebellion in the ranks," Frank Orr, Toronto Star, 20 Dec 1987).

"Not letting the individual use his skills is the game here, and Ruzicka is a highly skilled hockey player... He makes great plays given the opportunity to do that. I think he has to make his plays a little bit quicker... And the team concept we're using is totally different from what he's been used to throughout his career. You can only do this through time, and I find that he is a fast learner. He works very hard, he's dedicated, he's really trying to adjust... When you're going through an adjustment like this, you're not sure of yourself...

You have to think about what you're doing, and that's the problem. Hockey is a game of instincts and reflexes, and that's something a player has to learn through repetition... I think that's where Ruzicka is at this particular time... I think we're hurting him... We hurt his game, we hurt his skills, because we made him think about it... We don't demand so much backchecking from Ruzicka as it seems...

But, in our system, he's got to have some defensive responsibilities. We can't change the team for Ruzicka. He's got to change for the team. To win the Stanley Cup, it doesn't take the team with the best talent. It takes the best team at that time. We're trying to work Ruzicka into our system so he can benefit from it, and the club can benefit from it."
- John Muckler, March 1990 ("Ruzicka a rookie all over again," Peter Adler, Edmonton Journal, 10 Mar 1990).

"Ruzicka realizes he has to play better defensively... He was the best player in Czechoslovakia, captain of the national team, 48 goals in 40 games and now he has to adjust his style. It's not easy but he is not blaming the coaches or anything like that... He knows what he has to do. He doesn't want to go out there, make a mistake and hurt the team." - Petr Klima, teammate and Czech-English interpreter, April 1990 ("Czech mates in review," Elliott Pap, Vancouver Sun, 1990).

He was a very opportunistic type of player. Both Klima and Hrdina had played with him before and were quite blunt about it. It's a very one-way style that later allowed Pavel Brendl to light up the WHL in 1998-99.

Vladimir Yurzinov, long-time assistant coach of Team Soviet Union, commented on Ruzicka's play in Boston.

"I've known him since he was a child... I was not surprised but it was pleasant to see how he played... He's always been talented, but in our understanding, he always played according to his mood at the time... I think they like to use him only on attack. He did not play so well defensively since he was young... I think the Boston coaches use him the right way... They play him with [Cam] Neely and [Craig] Janney." - Vladimir Yurzinov, Soviet national team assistant coach, May 1991 ("Bruins using Ruzicka wisely," Toronto Star, 5 May 1991).

Rick Bowness was able to put Ruzicka in a situation in which he could thrive in Boston. However, the very next season Bowness was replaced by Brian Sutter. The latter was known for his intensity.

"Talent doesn't just come in six-foot-four bodies... It's not how big you are in this game, it's how bad you want to compete. There's a difference between guys who come to play and guys who come to bleeping compete... The guys I want are the ones who come to bleeping compete... I've coached four years in the NHL. I know the league and I knew this team. It had the reputation for winning by out-working other clubs, but the problem it had last year was too many people thought all it took to out-work the opposition was just showing up." - Boston Bruins coach Brian Sutter, December 1992 ("Sutter philosophy is simple to follow," Lloyd McLachlan, Windsor Star, 19 Dec 1992).

When Ruzicka went to Ottawa in an attempt to rekindle his success with Bowness, it never happened. The Senators weren't quite as talented at that point as the Bruins were. They were a bad team.
Great post. Thank you for posting all these quotes!

Reactions: TrickOfShapes

Tenkkapoo

Jul 28, 2020
Vikulov was a winger.

Centers who were definitely regarded higher than Zhluktov would also include Maltsev and Viktor Yakushev. And Almetov for sure.
Maltsev was of course better than Zhluktov but he was mainly a right winger.

Talisman

Nov 7, 2015
Zhluktov easily.

Semenov!!

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Zhluktov is the name rarely recalled nowadays, but he was considered the 2C in late 70s on the Soviet team, ahead of Maltsev, which was a pretty remarcable achievement. I mean, Maltsev was obviously the better player overall, but at his peak Zhluktov was very close to him. He was big and very good 2-way center, and it's kinda strange, that he wasn't very popular in Canada. I'd say, he was a prototypical center by Canadian standarts and would have been at least a star in the NHL.

Post 1972, Maltsev played very rarely at center on the national team. He was preferred as winger (RW), so Zhluktov never really 'outranked' him as center. Plus, Zhluktov played for CSKA while Maltsev didn't - always a slight disadvantage (the latter, that is).

Vikulov took the opening face off of the 1972 Summit Series.

Like Maltsev, the natural center played more RW on the national team.

Mmm, what? Such thing never happened. (EDIT: ok, you meant the ceremonial faceoff; but what of it?)

And when and where did Vikulov play center anyway? As far as I know, not only on the national team, he was mostly (exclusively?) a winger on CSKA too. For example, around the mid-1970s, he played RW on CSKA's 2nd line with Viktor Zhluktov (C) and Boris Alexandrov (LW).

And if Maltsev had been a "natural center", then he would have played that position on the national team too, at least more often than he did. It was not like Soviet hockey was always bursting with great centers; it was arbuably the weakest position as far as forwards were concerned.

As for the original question, intuitively I would choose Ruzicka, but I've got a feeling that I've always underrated Zhluktov, at least somewhat (basically because he was not the kind of player that caught your eye that much).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad