GDT: Zeus @ Hades (Game 10 - TB @ NJ 7pm)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The best thing about playing Pittsburgh is we always seem to score a shorthanded goal against them. Last week is no exception.

I love how every game we have a couple good scoring chances on the PK, even if we're not scoring on all of them.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Oh great Sunday night is an NBC Sports game? I bet we get Doc, Barfo, and P-no-hair.

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
Great match. Great PP. I liked the Tampa commentator a lot till the end when they said Zajac shouldve gotten a penalty on that slash.

I thought there was nothing to it. He got slashed and then Tampa guy fell. No slew foot in play. Good call.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Great match. Great PP. I liked the Tampa commentator a lot till the end when they said Zajac shouldve gotten a penalty on that slash.

I thought there was nothing to it. He got slashed and then Tampa guy fell. No slew foot in play. Good call.

I couldn't agree more. They're usually unbiased but they lost their mind on that call.

Oroku Saki*

Every defenseman is playing well because they know a a game or two in a row of bad play and Henrik will be in.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
hmmmm let's see

ot winner? left side
last nights shortie? left side

I don't remember his other goal- left side?

how about those 3 bombs in a row he ripped on the PP? left side

etc
etc
etc

but I suppose the win will mask how we would have been tied, perhaps lost the game were it not for a ridiculous extended power play

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
hmmmm let's see

ot winner? left side

etc
etc
etc

but I suppose the win will mask how we would have been tied, perhaps lost the game were it not for a ridiculous extended power play

While I tend to agree that he should be on the left side, the fact that he's scoring from the left side means it doesnt matter that he's technically listed at RW. WIth all the crossing and shuffling they do, Kovalchuk winds up there 8/10 times anyway probably.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Kovalchuk is playing some of the best hockey in his life right now.

His unwillingness to engage in puck battles along the boards still infuriates me and he still good for at least one wacky blind pass to nowhere per game but I guess you can't have it all.

Cut that mans minutes to 21/22 at most per game and I believe you will have a better overall player even still.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
While I tend to agree that he should be on the left side, the fact that he's scoring from the left side means it doesnt matter that he's technically listed at RW. WIth all the crossing and shuffling they do, Kovalchuk winds up there 8/10 times anyway probably.

Was about to say this same thing. Just go back an look at his none PP goals last season seems like half the time he ended up on the left side anyway.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba

His unwillingness to engage in puck battles along the boards still infuriates me and he still good for at least one wacky blind pass to nowhere per game but I guess you can't have it all.

Cut that mans minutes to 21/22 at most per game and I believe you will have a better overall player even still.

Yep. He is a changed man. The fact that he's getting a regular PK shift tells you all you need to know.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Every defenseman is playing well because they know a a game or two in a row of bad play and Henrik will be in.

This is a great point, and it's as it should be. You stink tonight? It's Harrold tomorrow, etc.... I'm a big fan of "fear for your job" coaching, regardless of the sport.

You're being kind, I'd set the Over/Under at 2.5. The worst part is that 75% of them are in the defensive zone. If Tedenby made a few of those idiot passes he'd be benched for the period, but Kovy is allowed to toss blind, high-risk passes at will.

And I'm beginning to think Elias is catching that disease. He's been making some cray-cray passes lately, but at least with Elias they're neutral zone or offensive zone.

King Henrique

¡ɹǝʌo s,ʇı ¡ǝnbıɹuǝɥ
Jan 8, 2010
NJ

This is what really concerns me. I wish they would cut his minutes, he is playing 4 minutes more than the 2nd highest forward. We need to remember we are gonna have him over a decade still. Lighten up on him a little, plus like you said, I think it will bring out the best in him.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Party of Kovy's ice time coming down is going to have to do with the rest of the team staying out of the box so damn much

We're taking at least 3-4 penalties a game (some out of our control) but still it puts him on for a minute or more for each PK

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

nope. more like 3/10, although it does increase on the PP. even if its only 9/10, WHY NOT MAKE IT 10/10???!??!?! so ****ing frustrating

Jack Griffin

Jan 28, 2012
Florida
hmmmm let's see

ot winner? left side

etc
etc
etc

And Kovalchuk playing LW would have changed that? I don't know how you can equate Kovy's slow start to him playing RW. He plays on the left side during the PP yet he hasn't scored yet. Why is that

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
He plays on the left side during the PP yet he hasn't scored yet. Why is that

because hes usually on the point? he rarely gets to creep down low, where he should be ALL THE TIME where he can rip that one timer.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
if you're another one who is content to watch him pass on 2 on 1's when he's on the right, then thats fine. look what he can do on the left. its not rocket science

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I'll be happy to eat crow all season, because Andy Greene is playing the best hockey I've seen him play in his career and the kid Larrson isn't looking bad either. Elias seems like he finally found his legs, I thought he had a great game last night. Feel bad for Matteau, he should have had a few goals this season but seems to get robbed in almost all of the 6 games he has played in. Like to see the new Russian guy in the line-up when he's ready and Barch out. All in all, I thought it was one of the Devils best games.

King Henrique

¡ɹǝʌo s,ʇı ¡ǝnbıɹuǝɥ
Jan 8, 2010
NJ
Party of Kovy's ice time coming down is going to have to do with the rest of the team staying out of the box so damn much

We're taking at least 3-4 penalties a game (some out of our control) but still it puts him on for a minute or more for each PK

Yeah, but still. The Flyers have taken more penalties and have had more powerplay opportunities than the Devils. Kovalchuk and Giroux play a very similar role on the PP, PK, and top line on their respective teams, yet Giroux still has 4 less minutes on ice per game.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

I understand it is very early in the year, but I've seen some un-Devil-like undisciplined kind of stuff a little too frequently from this Devil team. A hallmark of this team has always been taking few penalties. When you start to see Unsportsmanlike penalties, that is not the devils I know.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
forgot to add- i really liked the physical element to tonights game. we really played TB differently, we stood them up at the blue line. really well-executed game, all around.

BD: agreed, greene has been unreal these past few gtames

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Ya the penalties are a little unsettling but it feels like the league is just upping the PP numbers to get scoring up to start the year post-lockout. I'll give it a little longer before panicking too much.

Jack Griffin

Jan 28, 2012
Florida
if you're another one who is content to watch him pass on 2 on 1's when he's on the right, then thats fine. look what he can do on the left. its not rocket science

Is Ilya Kovalchuk incapable of scoring from the right side of the ice? Pretty amazing career for someone with such a huge weakness in his game.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
And I'm beginning to think Elias is catching that disease. He's been making some cray-cray passes lately, but at least with Elias they're neutral zone or offensive zone.

Beginning to think? Elias has been throwing blind drop passes to no one at the offensive and defensive blue lines for years.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Is Ilya Kovalchuk incapable of scoring from the right side of the ice? Pretty amazing career for someone with such a huge weakness in his game.

its about his ease of ability to receive passes for his one timer- his best scoring weapon. not trying to be an ass but have you ever played hockey before? if so, you should understand and be able to visualize the concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad