Value of: Zetterberg to Habs

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Never said out putrid management group in Mtl was good. Just keep your bad signings and leave Mtl out of the Zetterberg is god sweepstakes. That said, i’d take the Weber and Price deals over Zetts and I like Zetts but he is at the end of his career.

"Keep your bad signings" in regards to a player who has played as a top line caliber player for a majority of the extension you are referring to (signed in 2009) until recently when he needed back surgery and still returned to playing at a respectable level in his mid 30s. A guy who was the Conn Smythe winner on a Stanley Cup championship team, has had a HOF worthy career, and has served as one of, if not the most consummate captains of his time. But you're right, that's a bad signing and we probably should've let him walk...

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Yet he still had more points than anyone on the Canadiens.

mjl.gif

and the rags

Reactions: Tips Fedorov

Feb 20, 2012
Calgary
Zetterberg is still worth his contract at 37. Weber and Price are 32 and 30...I would hope they’re worth theirs at those ages.
Habs should be trading Weber and Price to start a rebuild but management is too dumb to realize we have no chance to compete with what we have today on the roster and in the system.

Reactions: go4hockey

Feb 20, 2012
Calgary
"Keep your bad signings" in regards to a player who has played as a top line caliber player for a majority of the extension you are referring to (signed in 2009) until recently when he needed back surgery and still returned to playing at a respectable level in his mid 30s. A guy who was the Conn Smythe winner on a Stanley Cup championship team, has had a HOF worthy career, and has served as one of, if not the most consummate captains of his time. But you're right, that's a bad signing and we probably should've let him walk...
Then why do you want to trade him? You guys are priceless.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

Yeah check the OP. Asking what Detroit's needs are and what the price would be for the Habs to get Zetterberg would be an indication that this thread doesn't represent Detroit's desires. Between what the organization has said and what Zetterberg has said, there is a mutual agreement that he isn't going anywhere because we wants to finish here and the organization will respect his wishes.

Honestly, this thread doesn't even need to exist because there will never be even a hint of productive discussion on this topic.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
wouldn't that just add to the legacy though? If it were me I would try to help my team, then come back and sign a 1 day contract to retire there

Yeah I suppose, just seems a little unrealistic especially with how resistant Ken Holland seems to be with letting just about anybody leave that team

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010

Uh, we don't want to trade him. Not a single fan or member of management has ever once even suggested it. The OP is so very obviously a Habs fan, not a Wings fan, did you even bother reading any of this thread before posting in it?

Stop trying to backtrack for your awful, completely misinformed posts in this thread. There's a reason everyone is tearing you to shreds here.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Yah because Zetterberg was so good this year. He looked like Geordie Howe - when Howe was in his fifties. You can keep him and his awful contract.

Gordie how had 34 goals and 96 points in a season at 50 years old. Might want to find someone else to bash.

Reactions: BinCookin

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
A few select statements:

1) this thread was started by a Canadians fan looking for a temporary (few years) of an "OK" top line C, or great 2nd line C. (what u may not know is you will only get 1 year)

2) Zetterberg is a still a good player. He will play 1 more season. And then likely LtIR his final 2 years (1million per season). So he is likely only available for 1 year.

3) Detroit is rebuilding, and could use a draft pick for Z. But... we really like the guy, and we are ok with letting him "retire". I am pretty sure we can rebuild without getting a 2nd round pick for the man.

4) If Z was traded, we could open ourselves up to an organization that convinces Z to "retire" the proper way, thus opening us up to the first team ever to be hit with a cap recapture... it will be harsh... seriously harsh. So its a big Risk to move Z

5) Z is a class act, and helps with teaching our young players how to be professional.

Bottom line is our team is rebuilding, and Z's production wont matter for his last year.
We could trade him, but its likely to have a weak return, and a huge cap risk for us.
Its both safer and more honorable to have him retire a life-time wing.
Z has already won a SC Ring. So he doesn't need to move in his last year to try and get one like R. Bourque

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Never said out putrid management group in Mtl was good. Just keep your bad signings and leave Mtl out of the Zetterberg is god sweepstakes. That said, i’d take the Weber and Price deals over Zetts and I like Zetts but he is at the end of his career.

I think you're missing the point here...

... Zetterberg at $6M is not a bad signing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad