News Article: Zetterberg to decide future later in July

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Assuming he is finished playing, Z did us a huge favor by waiting till late August to let the Wings know. Imagine if the Wings knew before July 1st...
Or management isn't dumb and realized the chance of Zetterberg playing for $3 million a season is pretty small to begin with. There's nothing they could have done with his cap hit anyway, so I don't know what you're talking about.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Assuming he is finished playing, Z did us a huge favor by waiting till late August to let the Wings know. Imagine if the Wings knew before July 1st...

Hahahaha. From such a large portion of the fan base that was apoplectic we didn’t sign Larkin for 8 years at 7m+ “ because by god, that two million dollars we will save in years 6-8 will just be so vital” this is just rich. You all want to rake Holland over the coals for “top 5 payroll, bottom 5 result” but you actually don’t want him to have cap space.

I didn’t know we had so many Lao Tzu fans. I guess the cap space is the bowl that is most useful when it is empty.

Reactions: KJoe88

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Hahahaha. From such a large portion of the fan base that was apoplectic we didn’t sign Larkin for 8 years at 7m+ “ because by god, that two million dollars we will save in years 6-8 will just be so vital” this is just rich. You all want to rake Holland over the coals for “top 5 payroll, bottom 5 result” but you actually don’t want him to have cap space.

I didn’t know we had so many Lao Tzu fans. I guess the cap space is the bowl that is most useful when it is empty.
You do understand why he said that, right?

He is comparing that hypothetical situation with what Detroit did when they traded Datsyuk's contract. Context matters.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
You all want to rake Holland over the coals for “top 5 payroll, bottom 5 result” but you actually don’t want him to have cap space.

Cap space is a great thing to have. Provided it is eventually used wisely.

If Zetterberg had hit LTIR/retirement on June 30, do you honestly believe that this front office would have utilized that cap space shrewdly? If so, you're perfectly entitled to that opinion, but I wouldn't expect that to be a popular stance.

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
Maybe they knew beforehand allowing Holland to spend over the cap like he did. Would be weird to lie in interviews about it though

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

only because we're afraid of what he'll do with it

nothing about this team scares me more than thinking about what Holland will do in free agency with the money he will have available over the next few years

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

nothing about this team scares me more than thinking about what Holland will do in free agency with the money he will have available over the next few years

I would absolute hate Holland if he signs Erik Karlsson from free agency. He should get fired.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Worst case I see is he re-signs some of our expiring contracts on short terms or adds more 1 or 2 year UFA to fill gaps.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Much depends on how the kids progress. There may not be the roster space to sign or re-sign many vets.

I think Veleno has a chance to be 3C in 19-20. Svech and Turgeon will no be longer waiver exempt. Defense will still be the biggest question.

It will be interesting who we lose in the expansion draft (easy to make up that list).

Last edited:

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Realistically, it doesn’t appear that he’ll (Zetterberg) play again. Based on general manager Ken Holland’s recent comments about how difficult the offseason has been for the Detroit captain, it doesn’t sound like he’ll be ready for the start of the season. And if he’s not ready at the start, he’s probably played his last game.

LINK

When he and Kronwall retire, it will be the en of an era in Detroit.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Still we have to wait for a month.

"I have talked to his agent a number of times over the course of summer and I know he's had a tough summer, hasn't been able to train anywhere near close to what he's been able to train in past summers due to his back, so there's a real unknown right now with Henrik Zetterberg."

Holland said they'll know more next month when Zetterberg reports to training camp.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
He must be basing it on landing Suter, Stamkos, Tavares...oh, wait.

Again, if you are so certain that we WON'T land a guy like that, what in the world do you care for cap flexibility? It's just going to be wasted on guys you hate anyway, right?

I'm not saying that it is prudent to spend to the cap on trash, but *****ing and moaning and snarkily saying "Oh, it's a good thing that Holland didn't have that money because he'd have just wasted it" is as bad or worse.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Again, if you are so certain that we WON'T land a guy like that, what in the world do you care for cap flexibility? It's just going to be wasted on guys you hate anyway, right?

I'm not saying that it is prudent to spend to the cap on trash, but *****ing and moaning and snarkily saying "Oh, it's a good thing that Holland didn't have that money because he'd have just wasted it" is as bad or worse.
I want Holland gone, and a new GM here that will utilize cap space smartly. So until his contract is up, the existing dead money can stay right where it is, to prevent Kenny from adding another bad deal to the pile on his way out.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

Haha, that is a great point for the #neverHolland crowd. They say we have no chance of signing players like Karlsson (which may be true) but at the same time want to keep all this empty cap space open for.....reasons? Nearly every free agent signing is overpaid, so if they don't think we can land a Karlsson type player and they don't want to sign 2nd tier free agents either (who are typically overpaid), I guess they just want to sit on a bunch of empty cap space for no particular reason and just completely stop typing to improve the team.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Haha, that is a great point for the #neverHolland crowd. They say we have no chance of signing players like Karlsson (which may be true) but at the same time want to keep all this empty cap space open for.....reasons? Nearly every free agent signing is overpaid, so if they don't think we can land a Karlsson type player and they don't want to sign 2nd tier free agents either (who are typically overpaid), I guess they just want to sit on a bunch of empty cap space for no particular reason and just completely stop typing to improve the team.

I honestly don' think its high school drama class like this post.

I think people want cap space left unused for when we're good enough to attract, land and need to sign a high profile free agent and/or simply resign our own guys (again hoping kh drafts well enough that such a situation arises)

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
Some of the vets will be resigned in the next two years. There isn’t enough prospects to replace all these expiring contracts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad