Zetterberg talks about Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Many have had critical things to say about the announcement that Russia fully intends on pursuing their anti-gay laws during the Olympics. Something that flies directly in the face of what the Olympic games and later the host nation of the 2018 World Cup should be about. There has been pleas for boycotts though I doubt that gains massive traction.

However, our captain has spoken out along with Viktor Hedman to Swedish media on his feelings of what is transpiring in Russia.

Zetterberg told Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet that the law is "Awful, just awful.''

He added, “I think that everyone should be able to be themselves. It's unbelievable that it can be this way in this time, especially in a big country like Russia.''

Glad Z spoke out critically, important that some of the bigger names offer these kind of statements.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/08/red_wings_captain_henrik_zette_1.html

Good on him for taking a stand.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Good for Z. The fact that this is even an issue just continues to show the sad state of affairs that aren't going away any time soon in this world of ours.

The fact that people care about these things that don't affect them is bizarre.

But I agree with jaster, these threads are always close to the edge, so hopefully people can be respectful.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Good for Z. The fact that this is even an issue just continues to show the sad state of affairs that aren't going away any time soon in this world of ours.

The fact that people care about these things that don't affect them is bizarre.

But I agree with jaster, these threads are always close to the edge, so hopefully people can be respectful.

You mean like loads of people seem to care about a law in a country that's not their own and that doesn't affect them..

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
When Americans have the chance to get arrested for these things it does affect them.

Only if they go to Russia and don't show respect for local laws which IMO is the minimum you can expect from someone visiting a country. It's not Zetterberg's job to lecture Russia on its laws because he may go there for 2 weeks to play hockey next year. Do you like it when people from outside the U.S lecture America on what it supposedly does wrong on every count?

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Only if they go to Russia and don't show respect for local laws which IMO is the minimum you can expect from someone visiting a country. It's not Zetterberg's job to lecture Russia on its laws because he may go there for 2 weeks to play hockey next year. Do you like it when people from outside the U.S lecture America on what it supposedly does wrong on every count?

If America was implementing a law that prohibited people from coming here because they were gay, black, mexican, disabled, yeah, I'd like if people spoke out on it especially when they're hosting something so traditionally sound like the olympics.

It's Z's job to be an ambassador for the game and not just ambassador the heterosexual players. You're not an ambassador if you just let things go that can affect your teammates.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
If America was implementing a law that prohibited people from coming here because they were gay, black, mexican, disabled, yeah, I'd like if people spoke out on it especially when they're hosting something so traditionally sound like the olympics.

It's Z's job to be an ambassador for the game and not just ambassador the heterosexual players. You're not an ambassador if you just let things go that can affect your teammates.

I'm not aware that the law bans homosexuals from coming to Russia or that it bans homosexuality in Russia. The fact many seem to think that just goes to show you why people shouldn't speak about an issue if not familiar with all relevant details.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I'm not aware that the law bans homosexuals from coming to Russia or that it bans homosexuality in Russia. The fact many seem to think that just goes to show you why people shouldn't speak about an issue if not familiar with all relevant details.

Yeah, just as long as they don't 'act' gay in public.

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids

If you can play, you can play.

Like Heaton said, he's an ambassador for the game. Would it really surprise you that there's more than a few homosexual athletes competing in Sochi this Winter?

What the law does isn't even relevant to Z's comments. It's important for those players to know that they have the support of other athletes, or even teammates. It'll help them be more comfortable not only in Sochi, but even in North America to be more open, knowing they have that support.

By the way, it's always refreshing to see NHL players be more vocal. Better than the typical, "Yeah, uh, you know."

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
You mean like loads of people seem to care about a law in a country that's not their own and that doesn't affect them..

No, not like that. Your example has to do with human rights. Heaton's example does not. That is a significant difference that should be apparent.

MOD

To get back onto hockey.... I agree, it's not Zetterberg's job to lecture Russia. But not everything we do in life that can be called a 'good thing' has to be because our job requires it. To quote Edmund Burke, "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

I applaud Zetterberg speaking out.

Last edited by a moderator:

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Not true either, the law technically bans the promotion of homosexuality through speech or publication aimed at minors.

That is only one part of the law. There is more to it.

The fact many seem to think that just goes to show you why people shouldn't speak about an issue if not familiar with all relevant details.

Mm hm.

DRWCountryClub

Jun 28, 2010
Good for Zetterberg.

From what I've been reading on the issue, it seems like Russia is treating 'being openly gay' aka two men holding hands, isn't allowed because it propagates homosexuality, for example.

You expect this in some developing countries, sure, but in a G8 nation such as Russia, it's pretty terrible.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
No, not like that. Your example has to do with human rights. Heaton's example does not. That is a significant difference that should be apparent.

Human rights are a pretty fluid thing in terms of definition, viewed differently in different times in different places. It's arrogant to assume that the view of human rights of Sweden 2013 is more valid than that in Russia 2013 or even America 2013. And yeah there's a distinction between how America views civil rights and how Sweden does, too.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
More people in all fields should speak out and stand against human rights violations no matter how indirectly it affects them.

No government should have the right to restrict peaceful actions. Anyone with the least bit of foresight should strictly oppose a precedent such as this.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
More people in all fields should speak out and stand against human rights violations no matter how indirectly it affects them.

No government should have the right to restrict peaceful actions. Anyone with the least bit of foresight should strictly oppose a precedent such as this.

This. x1000.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Many have had critical things to say about the announcement that Russia fully intends on pursuing their anti-gay laws during the Olympics. Something that flies directly in the face of what the Olympic games and later the host nation of the 2018 World Cup should be about. There has been pleas for boycotts though I doubt that gains massive traction.

However, our captain has spoken out along with Viktor Hedman to Swedish media on his feelings of what is transpiring in Russia.

Glad Z spoke out critically, important that some of the bigger names offer these kind of statements.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/08/red_wings_captain_henrik_zette_1.html

Good on him for taking a stand.

It would be nice if the boycotts materialized - maybe not by the nations themselves, but perhaps by some of the athletes. I agree they won't happen in any serious way, though.

Also, I agree it's good that Z spoke out. Prominent people should take the lead, for good or ill, for their causes. Yeah, they might just be baseball players, or actors, or CEOs, but they're also people with the platform to have their voices heard. Disagree with anyone's message, but they should have every right in the world to say it.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Good for Zetterberg.

Human rights issues are vitally important. Athletes who speak out are doing the right thing.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Very proud of our captain. He will make a fine leader for this organization. We are all human beings and should be privy to certain inalienable rights. What the Russian government is trying to do is completely reactionary for a developed nation in the 21st century and would set an ugly precedent going forward. Zetterberg was already my player in the league today, and this only solidifies his stance in my eyes further.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
nod-of-approval.gif

Atta boy Z.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad