Injury Report: Zetterberg Back Dec. 28 (Post 255)

NyquistIsMyGod*

Our forward groups are inverted. Toronto's best Cs are Bozak, Kadri, and Bolland. Our best wingers are Alfredsson, I guess Franzen, and then debatable between ... Nyquist? Tatar? Bertuzzi? Zetterberg when he is playing wing, obviously.

Losing your Cs always hurts but Toronto is the one team that should be able to stomach it as their Cs aren't that great to begin with.

You could also turn the argument around. We lose our #2/3 in Darren Helm and we have plenty of options. We have Joakim Andersson, Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg, Stephen Weiss, and then Corey Emmerton/Luke Glendening capable of playing centre. If Toronto loses Tyler Bozak, they're forced to use Dave Bolland as a legit every day top six forward. They lose two, then they're totally screwed. Even while having Datsyuk and Zetterberg out, Weiss playing like an ECHL'er, we've still got some solid options.

I'd say we have strong wingers too. Like you said, you have Alfredsson, Franzen, Abdelkader, Nyquist, Tatar, Zetterberg at times, and then a serviceable player in Bertuzzi. Not many teams have depth like Detroit.

That's what I have noticed about him, as well. There is a definite lack of any sort of confidence there and that needs to change.

Can you blame him? He has 3 points in 22 games. I think he had 2 points through his first 5 games. That's 1 point in a 17 game span. He might have had 3 points through 10 games as well. Weiss has been the second worst forward behind Sammy. We can all rip on Cleary, but Cleary has been better all season. Cleary is not a liability as he can play some real solid defensive hockey, and can get a good dump in offensively.

Stephen Weiss started the season off by spending every single shift in his own end. That second line was absolute garbage. Then Alfredsson and Franzen were off his wing, and the exact same thing was occuring. Weiss' backcheck hasn't been great. He refuses to skate with the puck. Every other centre for the most part skates the puck in, waits, finds an open teammate, etc. Weiss simply dumps it in leaving no chance to regain the puck. His confidence is at an all-time low. Giving him this chance is very key. Even when he's not performing, Nyquist and Franzen can carry him.

I'm curious about the PP for tonight. Will Weiss jump onto unit 1 with Franzen, Alfredsson, Kronwall and Abdelkader or will Nyquist slide up?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'm curious about the PP for tonight. Will Weiss jump onto unit 1 with Franzen, Alfredsson, Kronwall and Abdelkader or will Nyquist slide up?

I think Nyquist will be the main playmaker. He has already been there 5-on-3.

------Abdelkader(net)------
---------------------------
Alfie ----- Mule ------- Gus
--------- Kronner ----------

they have been using that 1-3-1 PP formation on latest games and I like it. No more Alfie on the right point.

NyquistIsMyGod*

I think Nyquist will be the main playmaker. He has already been there 5-on-3.

------Abdelkader(net)------
Alfie ----- Mule ------- Gus
--------- Kronner ----------

they have been using that 1-3-1 PP formation on latest games and I like it. No more Alfie on the right point.

I'd actually prefer Nyquist on unit 2. Like you said, he can handle the puck. Unit 2 would have Kindl, Samuelsson, Tatar, Helm, and Weiss. Helm goes to the net, and plays a grinder type on the PP. Weiss can't handle the puck right now, nor can he shoot, or get a smooth pass off. Watching Kindl and Sammy handle the puck hurts me.

With Weiss on unit 1, you have a chance for him to get a point. His faceoffs are also on if I'm not mistaken. Mainly though, Franzen, Alfredsson and Kronwall can all hold onto the puck. Abdelkader has gotten to the point where he can handle it a bit too.

I think a big part of the success has been two powerplays instead of throwing the leftovers on unit 2. I'm really hoping Gus stays on the second unit although he seems to be struggling a bit there. Tatar's been the primary guy there. Nyquist trying to take it in by himself like Franzen, Dats and Zetterberg has not gone too great.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 25s
Babcock said Weiss moves up to line with Franzen and Nyquist. Franzen will start at center. Emmerton will center Cleary and Samuelsson.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Babcock said Weiss moves up to line with Franzen and Nyquist. Franzen will start at center. Emmerton will center Cleary and Samuelsson.

HUZZAH. HUZAAAAAAH!

I do wonder though, what Tatar has to do to earn top6 minutes. Oh well, he makes that third line lethal.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
HUZZAH. HUZAAAAAAH!

I do wonder though, what Tatar has to do to earn top6 minutes. Oh well, he makes that third line lethal.

Maybe it doesn't have to do with "earning". Maybe Babcock agrees that Tatar "deserves" top line minutes, but makes our team better by instead dominating other third lines.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

I have to wonder if this is what Babcock is thinking, though. Having Tatar on that third line makes it a scoring threat because Andersson and Miller don't.

NyquistIsMyGod*

Maybe it doesn't have to do with "earning". Maybe Babcock agrees that Tatar "deserves" top line minutes, but makes our team better by instead dominating other third lines.

Agreed, but at the same time, Tatar played something like 10 minutes last game. There was numerous PKs though and just one PP if I'm not mistaken.

Tomas Tatar on the third line right now is perfect. He creates that scoring. We started looking good last season with a scoring third line (Nyquist-Andersson-Brunner). Tatar gives us a threat, and Miller and Andersson aren't bad linemates. Tatar can't play with Zetterberg or Dats due to their puck dominant games. Tatar plays his best hockey with the puck on his stick, and Andersson and Miller give him that defensive awareness.

Miller and Andersson are both in the NHL for their IQs. They find open ice, and feed it back to Tatar to create. We don't have too many players that can create their own shot, but Tatar is one of them. I'd like to see him get some minutes though. But also, lines 1 and 2 are absolutely killing it.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
Seriously, if Babcock didn't move Weiss up to the top 6 given all the injuries, I don't really know what my reaction would be. Babcock is insane? Maybe Weiss IS in fact a pile of ****?

Hopefully Weiss contributes - it would be hard not to given how Franzen and Nyquist have been rolling as of late. He NEEDS to contribute, and this is coming from a guy 99% not worried about him 28 games into his first season on the team.

But seriously, the team needs him to step up over this stretch of games. Hopefully it will result in him permanently centering the second line after Dats and Z (and Bert) come back.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Agreed, but at the same time, Tatar played something like 10 minutes last game. There was numerous PKs though and just one PP if I'm not mistaken.
That's the biggest problem for me. He creates too many chances to only get 10 minutes a game. At least 13-15 please. If you've got 3 scoring threats, then roll those lines and stop relying on Z's back to carry the team.

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007

Interesting.
Moving Weiss to the 1st line is no brainier but why play him as a winger?

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
That's the biggest problem for me. He creates too many chances to only get 10 minutes a game. At least 13-15 please. If you've got 3 scoring threats, then roll those lines and stop relying on Z's back to carry the team.

He is getting 13 minutes on average.

NyquistIsMyGod*

Eh? Kindl handles it just fine. (Samuelsson doesn't even belong in this league anymore.)

You think Kindl handles the puck well on the PP? I completely disagree. He's weak at keeping the puck in, doesn't throw great passes, and don't get me started on his shot choices.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
I blame Emma.

Seriously. Well, no, actually, half seriously. I thought I heard through a Swedish tabloid that they're trying to have a child but it might be another Swedish NHL player.

Gotta use your back if you want to do that correctly.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I blame Emma.

Seriously. Well, no, actually, half seriously. I thought I heard through a Swedish tabloid that they're trying to have a child but it might be another Swedish NHL player.

Gotta use your back if you want to do that correctly.

Not all the time.

The Geelee

Jul 27, 2013
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 10m
The Wings placed Henrik Zetteberg (back) on long-term IR to make room for Mrazek

Dec. 28 is the earliest he can return per Khan

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Zetterberg to LTIR

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 11m
The Wings placed Henrik Zetteberg (back) on long-term IR to make room for Mrazek.

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 8m
Zetterberg must sit out min. 10 games and 24 days on LTIR, which was inevitable since he isn't even skating yet. Can return Dec. 28 vs. FLA.

Well I guess we're back to missing 2 top centers long term. :cry:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad