Rumor: "Zero progress" in talks between Vegas and Nicholas Hague

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
What makes you so sure Vegas would need to deal out of the conference and division? Nate Schmidt dealt to Vancouver, MAF to Chicago.
I think they deal where they have to. Their preference maybe out of the conference but at the end of the day that may not be an option

Watch Vegas deal with Arizona to get Chycrhun somehow. I say somehow due to lack of cap space for the knights, not because I think Chychrun is better than Hague.
It's a reliable pattern. Teams just dont like high end players to move to teams where the fans would constantly have that reminder (thsts what it seems to me anyway, but regardless it is how it happens). The exceptions are NTC driven and/or when there aren't other options for cap reasons.

Although, Chychrun is an interesting one in that he is a premiere trade asset that would salvage things for Vegas. I have doubts that Arizona goes for Hague just because they'd want futures rather than play hardball with Hague, and I'd bet they want Chychrun out of conference, or at least try to. They can still wait until the deadline or even beyond.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Can he be offer-sheeted? If so, it is ridiculous that no one would sign him considering the value of dmen with size. I realize Hague would have to sign it.

He could be offer sheeted. Vegas is probably being patient knowing that it's unlikely that anybody has the cap space and motivation to get it done.

To get Vegas to sweat, you'd probably need to give Hague 3.5+ mil AAV. I like Hague, but that might be a tough contract if you have your own RFA D coming up who might look at that as a comparable.

There's not many clubs with that sort of cap space remaining:

Winnipeg: Bit of a log jam at LD as it is with Morrissey, Dillon, Stanley, Samberg, and Heinola. They also don't have the required 2nd round pick for compensation.

Nashville: Similar log jam with Josi, McDonagh, Ekholm, and Lauzon.

Ottawa: Maybe don't have the green light to spend and/or saving that money for Alex Formenton's deal. Also might need a roster spot for Erik Brannstrom.

Anaheim: Already have a hodge podge of LD under contract with Fowler, Kulikov, Vaakanainen, Beaulieu, Mahura, and Benoit.

Buffalo: Spots reserved for Dahlen, Power, Samuelsson, Bryson, and Pilut.

Chicago/Arizona; Probably aren't buyers.

Mix in the favorable tax situation and it might not make sense for Hague to put himself in a situation where Vegas couldn't match. For example, 4 million with Anaheim nets about 1.95 mil after taxes. Whereas 3.25 million with Vegas nets about 1.94 mil.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
I genuinely don’t see a reason why the red wings shouldn’t offersheet him at 4 million for one season. We can easily give up the two seconds, and we have the cap space.

Our defense could then be easily adjusted to be
Maata/seider
Hague/hronek
Edvinsson-Haag/chiarot.
Am I crazy or does this not make a ton of sense?

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I genuinely don’t see a reason why the red wings shouldn’t offersheet him at 4 million for one season. We can easily give up the two seconds, and we have the cap space.

Maata/seider
Hague/hronek
Edvinsson-Haag/chiarot.
i hope they do it

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego

Maata/seider
Hague/hronek
Edvinsson-Haag/chiarot.
I think the only reason to pause is that Vegas is definitely the type of franchise to retaliate (in a decade when they actually have cap space and draft picks to do it :laugh:).

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021

Maata/seider
Hague/hronek
Edvinsson-Haag/chiarot.
Määttä on the top pair. Oh boy.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Alright, I'm taking the L on my initial comment, fair enough, but I'm having a hard time getting Vegas to more than 2.5 million (with a 22 man roster) with Patrick, Weber and Lehner on the LTIR to start, until their third string goalie is sent back down to Henderson.
Pretty easy math, going by the CapFriendly roster:

Assuming Patrick goes to LTIR they'll have 14,057,143 on LTIR.

Which means they'll have a 23-man roster with a total cap hit at 94,236,310.

94,236,310 - 14,057,143 = 80,179,167

The salary cap is at 82,5m.

82,500,000 - 80,179,167 = 2,320,833

Send down Hutchinson and you add 750k and a roster spot:

2,320,833 + 750,000 = 3,070,833

So they can sign Hague to a 3m deal and still have a 22-man roster + Brossoit on IR. Not that Hague is worth that right now.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Seems like a great buy low candidate. Played behind some very good defenders in Vegas and has always passed the eye test for me. Not a lot of guys with his size, skill & upside available.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Pretty easy math, going by the CapFriendly roster:

Assuming Patrick goes to LTIR they'll have 14,057,143 on LTIR.

Which means they'll have a 23-man roster with a total cap hit at 94,236,310.

94,236,310 - 14,057,143 = 80,179,167

The salary cap is at 82,5m.

82,500,000 - 80,179,167 = 2,320,833

Send down Hutchinson and you add 750k and a roster spot:

2,320,833 + 750,000 = 3,070,833

So they can sign Hague to a 3m deal and still have a 22-man roster + Brossoit on IR. Not that Hague is worth that right now.
Your math was never in doubt. I was looking at the website and made a foolish mistake.

I'm using numbers on capfriendly that had 4 goalies still on the roster.

As I said, I politely take the loss here.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Even if they go with 3 goalies, waive Amadio & Bischoff that leaves them 3M to spend. Should get done this week IMO.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
There’s many who’ve thought since July, that either Roy or Hague would end up in this position but it would be taken care of once the get their LTIR money.

The only weird part is the reporting on Hague. It’s pretty much been that there’s “little to no talk” between the player and team. Also yet to see any writer mention mention this all summer. Maybe I missed it but that’s the strange part. You would think, if it has always been their intention to sign him after tomorrow, someone would’ve reported it. They’re not exactly a “Quiet” team as we all know.

Even though I fully expect him to sign his deal in the next couple of days, who knows really? I still contend Vegas could be up to something, which also would’ve had to wait until this week.

We shall see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad