Zemgus Girgensons + Ted Nolan

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
No one is saying that it is detrimental or that he took the job so he could move Girgensons to center.

But does it hurt team morale if his decisions are swayed by outside bias?

For all we know maybe it won't be an issue. Maybe Nolan asked the captain about the team and he said there are too many gifted spots to rookies, but Pysyk and Girgensons belong on this team.

Ya ok I'll leave you to your conspiracy theories.

bluengold72

Jul 18, 2013
north tonawanda
i believe his floor is a really good 3rd liner n his ceiling is a really good 2nd liner. i see him as a smaller, slightly less physical but better defensively version of lucic.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Ya ok I'll leave you to your conspiracy theories.

Not my conspiracy.

Bill Hoppe ‏@BillHoppeNHL 1h
Talk in #Sabres dressing room about youngsters being given spots instead of earning them.

John Vogl ‏@BuffNewsVogl 1h
Multiple Sabres veterans say while kids tried hard, they were put in tough positions and not NHL ready. Need to earn their spots.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Vets don't like rookies being gifted roster spots.

My feeling is that the vets probably like Girgensons on the team. They don't feel that way about Grigorenko.

My guess is that they also bristled a bit at Risto and Zads being in the lineup while Weber was a healthy scratch some nights. Weber's well-liked in the room. They may have also taken issue with the kids being in over McBain.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Not my conspiracy.

Talk in #Sabres dressing room about youngsters being given spots instead of earning them.

Multiple Sabres veterans say while kids tried hard, they were put in tough positions and not NHL ready. Need to earn their spots.

That doesn't mean that every kid was gifted a spot.

Plus, a lot of that was pre-PL & TN

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Not my conspiracy.

It's funny, when I brought this up prior to the season, I was mocked and told that these were professionals who understand the score.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
It's funny, when I brought this up prior to the season, I was mocked and told that these were professionals who understand the score.

Nolan said on radio that players came to him and wanted to tell him who was working hard and who was slacking.

You know it is on their mind. With as bad as the team started. You know that there were problems in that locker room.

Nolan's response was, he didn't want to hear it.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
My guess is that they also bristled a bit at Risto and Zads being in the lineup while Weber was a healthy scratch some nights. Weber's well-liked in the room. They may have also taken issue with the kids being in over McBain.

Or Cody being waived last year and sent to Rochester and other veterans getting scratched for guys like Grigorenko

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Larsson will (hopefully) be more than capable of handling checking line duties in the middle. I'm guessing they want Girgensons to be a two-way scoring winger with a physical game.

It does, at least, give some long - term clarity in regards to roles.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
It sounds like LaFontaine or someone else told Ted that ZG's future on the team was on the wing.
Or they just wanted to see how succesful he's going to be against NHL-level opposition. :)

It seems like common knowledge now that Ted and Zemgus have worked together before, but the fact of the matter is that the time they've spent together in the Latvian national team was less than 10 days and just a couple of matches.

Nolan has seen him play in AHL before, but he played on the wing there as well.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Maybe they feel that while he doesn't have the pedigree to be a "#1 Center" they think he could be a high-octane scoring line power winger. And since Hodgson ostensibly has the longterm #2C spot locked down, they'd rather plug him in on a scoring line wing than as a checking line winger.

That said, not sure I like it...

jamers

bleep bop bloop
Sep 17, 2011
Maybe they feel that while he doesn't have the pedigree to be a "#1 Center" they think he could be a high-octane scoring line power winger. And since Hodgson ostensibly has the longterm #2C spot locked down, they'd rather plug him in on a scoring line wing than as a checking line winger.

That said, not sure I like it...

I actually like it, specifically for the reasons you outlined. With CoHo signed for a while, likely the only way he cracks the top two lines is as a winger, and while he would be an awesome grinder, I'd like to see how his offensive touch develops if given a chance in more of a scoring position. Not to mention he could potentially bring elements to our future top 6 that we've been lacking for a while.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad