Confirmed with Link: Zemgus Girgensons signs 1-yr contract ($1.15M)

ThunderD

Jan 29, 2016
IS he still an RFA at the end of this? If he is, nevermind.

He's only 22 coming off a 3 year ELC so he is still an RFA. This is more of a bridge deal to let Girgensons show us what he's worth.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Meh. I'd have paid more for more years. His underperformance last year was an advantage to us there.

Kennerdell

Nov 11, 2015
Maryland
Who are the 14 FWs from that tweet?

1 - O'Reilly
2 - Okposo
3 - Kane
4 - Moulson
5 - Ennis
6 - Gionta
7 - Eichel
8 - Reinhart
9 - Foligno
10 - Girgensons
11 - Larsson
12 - Deslauriers

Are they counting McCormick and maybe Fasching...?
McCormick still counts against the cap from what I have read. His IR type status won't take effect for a little while

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
McCormick still counts against the cap from what I have read. His IR type status won't take effect for a little while

Yeah I figured McCormick, who really doesn't count for roster purposes. I still wonder who else though. Either way there's really only 12 FWs so far that we can expect to be on the starting roster. I suspect, barring another move, that Legwand gets a PTO.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Yeah I figured McCormick, who really doesn't count for roster purposes. I still wonder who else though. Either way there's really only 12 FWs so far that we can expect to be on the starting roster. I suspect, barring another move, that Legwand gets a PTO.
it's COR, who's on a one-way.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
If it's a 1 year deal he does not have to be protected in the expansion draft, correct? Or is that just UFAs to be?

Last edited:

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Zemgus' best play came on the worst teams.

"Find a consistent role...."

That's exec speak for "he's expendable"

ThunderD

Jan 29, 2016
RFAs still require protection.

I can never get a straight answer on this. Some pretty reputable sources said Larsson doesn't need to be protected. I also heard Foligno will have to be though. If anyone has a decent link to something please provide it.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I can never get a straight answer on this. Some pretty reputable sources said Larsson doesn't need to be protected. I also heard Foligno will have to be though. If anyone has a decent link to something please provide it.

I'm not sure what you mean. Strictly speaking, no player requires protection in the expansion draft, except for players with no movement clauses. That said, aside from players who have two or fewer years of professional experience, players who are not protected are eligible for claim in the expansion draft. Larsson and Foligno both far exceed the minimum requires to be eligible for claim. They would both need to be protected to not be claimed.

Pending RFAs and UFAs both also need to be protected to not be claimed (except for RFAs who don't meet the experience requirements, of course). The major difference is that UFAs would become unrestricted free agents shortly after the expansion draft, whereas RFAs would not, and Las Vegas would still retain their right to first refusal with regards to any offer sheets. An unrestricted free agent lost in the expansion draft could, at least in theory, be re-signed freely by the team who lost him after the opening of the free agency period following the expansion draft, whereas a restricted free agent would not.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
Pretty much as expected. Girgs' and Foligno's contract situations went pretty much the same way. It would have been nice to get them under relatively very cheap, long-term deals, but the positive thing here is that it gives more room to make even bigger moves before the season starts.

For some reason I think that we're going to see at least one bigger move on the trade front before the season starts.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Pretty much as expected. Girgs' and Foligno's contract situations went pretty much the same way. It would have been nice to get them under relatively very cheap, long-term deals, but the positive thing here is that it gives more room to make even bigger moves before the season starts.

For some reason I think that we're going to see at least one bigger move on the trade front before the season starts.

Yea, exactly as you expected :rolleyes:

Vilis20

Jun 18, 2015
Would be glad about two or three years, but this is ok too-motivation is the thing, and Girgs has a lot to prove. Let's just hope that Bylsma will find/give good spot for him.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
This deal helps make sense as to why Risto is taking so long. Sabres are a cap team all of a sudden.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad