Zemgus Girgensons future

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
He's just a 3rd/4th line C/W that won't really improve any time soon. He just got top minutes back when the team was terrible because there had to be someone getting them.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
He's just a 3rd/4th line C/W that won't really improve any time soon. He just got top minutes back when the team was terrible because there had to be someone getting them.

To be fair, he looked like player that had potential playing those minutes. Ted Nolan left and so did his passion. Guy has been in limbo since. I would say if there was a guy who can get something out of him, it would be Torts.

I predict he’ll be traded in the next year or two, flop there for two years and then head to the SHL or other European league.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Wasn't he drafted as a guy who may end up just being a 3rd liner?

Darcy drafted him to be at worst a 3rd line center and at best 2nd line center. This was at the same time Grigorenko was to be drafted to be our future #1 center. What a way to start your rebuild of a franchise.

Reactions: shello

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
If the sabres could decide what position he was playing, and on what line he might be able to gain some confidence and momentum. Guy literally plays all 3 forward positions and has played on all 4 lines. He has pked and been on the power play in the past.

It's great that he's a Swiss army knife kinda guy but it doesn't seem to bode well with his confidence.

He has also lost the tenacity he came into the league with. Being stuck in buffalo will do that to a guy. When he was a rookie he had something to prove so the compete level was there. Now he goes stretch he's looking like a pedestrian because our games don't mean much in the grand scheme of the hockey world.

He is beloved by the fans but he's a good candidate for change of scenary for sure. I'd hate to give up on him because I think there's way more than what we are seeing. But he's getting himself into a numbers crunch now

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I personally see Girgensons as a good fit on a secondary scoring line playing with 2 skill guys who have great chemistry together and then Zemgus being the hustler on that line. I believe he's had stretches of good play when put with good players, but it seems like he's kind of lost his identity as a player after getting bounced around the lineup, Sabres lacking depth/good players to play with and the team losing a lot.

I don't think he has a lot of untapped potential offensively but as a complimentary piece to combination that works i think there's more potential there.

Sabres definitely have more depth for next season so it'll be interesting to see where he ends up. For example something like Zirgensons - Mittelstadt - Sheary could be interesting as a 2nd/3rd line.

But of course there's always the option to just use him as a 4th liner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad