Zemgus Girgensons future

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Nope no upside. He's a bottom 6 role player who will probably stick around the league for a few years in that role and disappear. Don't be fooled by his 15-15 in 61 season, it was a mirage.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I remember when this guy was the next great 2-way center in the league. I don't see a lot of Buffalo play, but based on the way he was talked about, I didn't expect him to flame out so badly.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
He saw more ice time under Ted Nolan, and responded, though someone's got to score a few, even on awful teams.

Sadly that 15 goal season (in I believe about 60 games?) was not built upon - though he shot 13%, that season, which would be hard to sustain.

I think he'd perhaps benefit from a change in scenery, though he will probably never be a scorer.

So pony up another NHL player who's in need of a change of scenery, and get a deal done.

BeTheBallDanny

Oct 30, 2013
A change of scenery will do zemgus absolute wonders. He has all the tools to be a full time NHLer and can play up and down the lineup.

Forcing him into the NHL too early on an awful team is what botched his development.

If buffalo cuts ties or trades him to a playoff team, I will not be the least bit surprised when he becomes a total nightmare to play against.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well, he has always lacked skill. Even in USHL days most projected him as a 3rd line center, "character leadership, intangibles, etc." got him drafted as high as he was. Surely now he projects more like a 4th line wing so that's still quite a drop but not a huge surprise.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
A change of scenery will do zemgus absolute wonders. He has all the tools to be a full time NHLer and can play up and down the lineup.

Forcing him into the NHL too early on an awful team is what botched his development.

If buffalo cuts ties or trades him to a playoff team, I will not be the least bit surprised when he becomes a total nightmare to play against.
Maybe Girgensons for Petan would make sense

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
He has a ton of energy. If he can accept that he's not a top 6 skilled forward and buys into being a 4th line grit & energy player, he'll have an NHL career. Otherwise, he'll bounce around, get waived, get a PTO, not make the team and show up on the occasional "funniest NHL name" thread.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
I think moving him to the wing really messed him up. I always thought he looked much better at center.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
You can't tell me this guy doesn't have skill. What he needs is a sports psychologist if anything. He used to bring it every night; hustling, laying huge hits, scoring the occasional goal, some even in spectacular fashion. He's been hardly noticeable the past few years.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010

I couldn't disagree more. How can you say he was rushed when his first 2 seasons were his best ones? He's been declining in points and ice time since then.

He just is what he is. A versatile bottom 6 guy. Nothing wrong with that. There doesn't need to be someone to blame.

Last edited:

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
As soon as he plays well he gets demoted. Not a very cerebral player, would work better on a team with a more frantic gameplan.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I couldn't disagree more. How can you say he was rushed when his first 2 seasons were his best ones? He's been declining in points and ice time since then.

Hi just is what he is. A versatile bottom 6 guy. Nothing wrong with that. There doesn't need to be someone to blame.
His first two seasons were his best because someone had to get ice time on Buffalo and that was Girgensons, Ennis, Hodgson and Matt Moulson. After Toronto waives Ennis after pre-season the latter 3 will be out of the NHL completely after their ice time was reduced to where it should have been.

Girgensons was rushed by the Darcy Regier, Lindy Ruff, Kevin Devine trio that thought rushing Girgensons, Grigorenko and Ristolainen to the NHL would turn the franchise around. Kevin Devine was also Buffalo's Director of Player Personnel when Buffalo sent Alex Nylander to the AHL after being drafted and I have no idea how the guy is still employed given Buffalo's terrible track record of player development in the last few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad