Zegras vs Cozens

Which player do you like more for the future?

• Total voters

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
ZEGRAS will be star of the league. What a pick by the Ducks

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think Cozens is probably the "safer" pick of the two, in that his game seems well tailored to make an impact at the NHL level. But Zegras has a sky high ceiling. He could be a potential superstar, PPG+ type player. There is a little bit more murkiness in how Zegras will translate, but at this point...his skill level and vision is just too special to think he's not gonna find a way to excel at the NHL level. So i take that small "risk" and go with the huge upside there.

Reactions: Howard Beale

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
I am a big believer in Zegras’ future. I think he’ll be like a 15-25 goal / 50-60 assist guy.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Very different players. Each will have their own struggles adjusting their games to the NHL. I prefer Zegras for the higher upside bit Cozens will probably be more responsible.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I like both players a lot.... I think cozens is being put into a more ideal situation.

zegras is going to have to be the Anaheim offense for a little while once he makes the jump as we don’t really have much help for him.

I take zegras personally but it won’t shock me if cozens starts out hotter. Zegras is going to be money on the power play

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Cozens was my 4th rated player in that draft, so I’ll stick with him. Though, Zegras is looking like an insanely skilled player.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Depends what you want, I see Cozens as a Jeff Carter like player and Zegras as a Barzal/Giroux type player.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Zegras. I was on the edge of my seat when he was still available one pick before the Canucks pick. Good god! Getting Pettersson, Hughes and Zegras in three successive drafts would have been a dream scenario. I’m still not sure how other teams passed on him.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
I'm going Cozens. I think he's got more potential to develop. The size and the skill combination makes me think of a faster Getzlaf.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
This poll should've had an even option.

Zegras has the higher offensive ceiling, but I think Cozens is the more complete player.

I wanted the Sabres to draft Zegras at the draft and was disappointed with the Cozens pick. My opinion on Cozens has done a 180 since then. Kid is the textbook lead-by-example captain-type player. His skating is fantastic for his size. I'm really excited to see how he develops.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Sounds like the two players are on teams that they are better suited for in terms of needs. Buffalo already has the elite offensive player that (hopefully) Zegras will be in a few years while the Ducks are relying on Z getting there. Ducks have some guys that have well rounded games (although not nearly at the same level as Cozens) and Buffalo can use that stabilizing force to compliment the elite talent they have. Buffalo can live with Cozens if he becomes "only" a complimentary top line forward with a solid 2 way game and a leader on the ice, Anaheim needs Zegras to be a guy that can drive the top line and be an offensive catalyst that can make things happen (which he has a better chance of being than Cozens).

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
Depends what you want, I see Cozens as a Jeff Carter like player and Zegras as a Barzal/Giroux type player.
Barzal and Giroux aren't very similar at all. Giroux is a stick handling, high IQ/ vision type player with decent skating. Barzal is an elite skater with more tools and much less cerebral player.

Barzal is great because of his skating and tools
Giroux is great in-spite of his skating and because of his IQ

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Barzal and Giroux aren't very similar at all. Giroux is a stick handling, high IQ/ vision type player with decent skating. Barzal is an elite skater with more tools and much less cerebral player.

Barzal is great because of his skating and tools
Giroux is great in-spite of his skating and because of his IQ
Yes I think and Zegras has a little of both their games.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Cozens has a higher floor but I think Zegras' ceiling is higher. I was crazy high on Cozens during the draft and still am, so I don't think either answer is really wrong here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad