Zdeno Chara as a King from LA

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
There was an article about Chara, where was written, that it was 50 : 50 between Boston Bruins and LA Kings, when he left Senators.

So, man could only guess, what could be. But a nice topic about alternative history.

Visnovsky - Chara combo would be a wet dream of every Slovak fan.

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
Interesting implications for sure. How much better do the 06/07 Kings do than their real life 27-41-14 effort? Assuming they are boosted up the standings the next few seasons, who do they draft instead of Hockey, Doughty, and Schenn? A few of the key components of their 2012 and 2014 Cup wins, namely Kopitar, Quick, Brown, and Lewis, were already in the organization. Does Chara substitute in for Doughty in 2012 and 2014 well enough to get the team a Cup? Does LA still make the same moves to get necessary pieces like Carter, Richards, Williams, etc?

I'd be tempted to say this might have led the Los Angeles Kings into mediocrity. Without the chance to draft as high for a few more seasons, team wouldn't have the same assets they needed to win the Cup in '12 & '14. Maybe Chara spurs them into false success that causes the team to buy in one some more pieces and they make a stab at the Cup in the '09 to '12 range? Who knows.

More interesting how this would impact Boston in my opinion. I can imagine they would've finished much lower in the '07 & '08 standings, maybe get a chance to draft names like Kane, JvR, Turris, or Stamkos, Doughty, Pietrangelo. It's impossible to know for sure, but it is certainly interesting. Without the hulking, 6'9" defenseman, do the Bruins maintain the culture they have today, or do they go a more speed, skill based route, hold onto players like Kessel. Doubt they take a run at the 2011 Cup, but maybe if they had gotten a stud in the 2007 or 2008 draft they could've won a Cup anytime between 2012 and now. Who knows? Lots of possibilities for sure. Granted, any general manager or scouting staff could totally mess up a situation or hit it out of the park.

Reactions: The Pale King

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
I'd have to think that if they finish higher in the standings in 2008, they would have taken Tyler Myers in the draft. Chara would have been the perfect mentor for him. It would be the two tallest defencemen on the same team. Who knows how good Myers would have become under Chara's tutelage. We know he was great his first couple of seasons in the league but I think playing in Buffalo kind of ruined him. Perhaps if Myers hits his full potential with Chara, the Kings three-peat in 2012, 2013, and 2014.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
I'd have to think that if they finish higher in the standings in 2008, they would have taken Tyler Myers in the draft.

I dont think so. There was Jack Johnson, where rights were traded in september 2006. He was at that time counted as a "next big D" . Oleg Tverdovsky, Lubo Visnovsky, Zdeno Chara, Rob Blake, Nordström, Aaron Miller, Jack Johnson ... The Defense could be very good. They would focus do some good forward.

The question is, if he would take Kings offer, would he be chosen as a new captain? In season 05/06 and 06/07 it was Mattias Norström. Then again Rob Blake.

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
I dont think so. There was Jack Johnson, where rights were traded in september 2006. He was at that time counted as a "next big D" . Oleg Tverdovsky, Lubo Visnovsky, Zdeno Chara, Rob Blake, Nordström, Aaron Miller, Jack Johnson ... The Defense could be very good. They would focus do some good forward.

I'm not sure they wouldn't have taken a defenceman even with Chara. They took two defencemen in the first round that year, Doughty and Teubert. If they had Chara, they probably still take one defenceman. Instead of taking Teubert, if they had Chara maybe they think he can mentor Myers and they take Myers instead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad