Player Discussion Zane McIntyre (recalled 1/6)

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Couldn't find a thread on him so I made one..

I counted 2 goals that were his fault last night. The Hayes goal and pirris rebound. Nothing he could have done about Nash except make a special save and pirris scored from that area a bunch before with that wrist shot.

Tough to fault him on veseys goal 100% as it was a cross ice pass he couldn't slide over in time, however if he wasn't so deep/defensive it's feasible he could have anticipated that pass given the puck was below the far hash mark and tried to break up that pass play as the puck basically slid across the crease. I'll give him 1/2 responsibility. The Hayes one is an obvious question, bad positioning, not saying great goalies haven't had one banked but it's never a good goal to give up. Probably could have handled the initial shot before pirris 2nd went in a little better.

So by my advanced analytics he has an adjusted 2.5 gaa in his first start. Not terrible

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
He was good- I think we could have something here

I thought the Bruins played tentative and not to lose after that first goal

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Couldn't find a thread on him so I made one..

I counted 2 goals that were his fault last night. The Hayes goal and pirris rebound. Nothing he could have done about Nash except make a special save and pirris scored from that area a bunch before with that wrist shot.

Tough to fault him on veseys goal 100% as it was a cross ice pass he couldn't slide over in time, however if he wasn't so deep/defensive it's feasible he could have anticipated that pass given the puck was below the far hash mark and tried to break up that pass play as the puck basically slid across the crease. I'll give him 1/2 responsibility. The Hayes one is an obvious question, bad positioning, not saying great goalies haven't had one banked but it's never a good goal to give up. Probably could have handled the initial shot before pirris 2nd went in a little better.

So by my advanced analytics he has an adjusted 2.5 gaa in his first start. Not terrible

He made some mistakes, he's not a finished product, but considering the circumstances (and the amount of PPs he faced), I thought he acquitted himself well.

He showed enough that he might just have a future as a solid NHL back-up if he can work on some small things.

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
I thought he played well. He made some pretty big saves. The Hayes goal is the only one I had an issue with.

If the Bruins stayed out of the box I think he would have gave the team a chance to win. That's all we should be asking from these goaltenders right now.

Czerk

Feb 13, 2007
Riverview
Just like Tuesday... same thing.. play tentative.. play well.. one goal goes in and the whole team is like, here we go again.. and then 2..... then 3.... at what point does Clode see the pattern and call a timeout.. make the next shift VERY important... stack up 2 lines.. do something.. show some leadership...

I thought Zane played well. but the team as a whole is trying to play a system which they clearly are not confident in or don't believe it in... and Zane was left out to dry more than 10 times.. it was a matter of time before the bounces when against him, which they did.. 2 goal were weak but this was after the whole team's confidence was in the trash... here we go again..

Spoon fed

Nov 28, 2005
Between him and Subban, is it just me are do they both play too deep in their nets? This seems like a coaching issue, not a skill problem. Look, I'm not saying that Zane or Malcom are the answers or even will produce in the NHL, but this seems somewhat correctible. Better positioning = less movement = more saves, something like this?

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
I thought he looked good. Made some rookie mistakes, but he will improve.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
He looked excellent for the first ~35 minutes or so. Some terrific saves, looked very confident. You can bet that he'll never come off the post that much when a player is going around again, so... I'll consider that a one-off. :laugh:

The 3 goals the Rangers got in like 10 minutes, none of them were his fault. Just our players getting beat clean, which really shook his confidence IMO. Would like to see him start another game, now that the jitters are gone a bit and hopefully we don't throw in the towel in the 3rd.

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
I thought overall he looked very promising. He made some mistakes and showed he was a rookie but he looked like he is NHL caliber (maybe not yet but he'll get there) unlike Subban. Honestly it's like light and day between our two goalie prospects right now. I see a future for McIntyre in the league, can't say I'm certain about the same thing for Subban. Will be interesting to see how things look going forward.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Only issue is how he holds the post. A lot of modern goalies actually bring their pads inside the net to seal it off. His skates were in front of the posts. Fixable unless he has to untrain years of using thatmethod.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
He made some mistakes, he's not a finished product, but considering the circumstances (and the amount of PPs he faced), I thought he acquitted himself well.

He showed enough that he might just have a future as a solid NHL back-up if he can work on some small things.

Agreed. I was pretty happy with his performance. He absolutely made some mistakes, but he also showed some nerve starting so well in a road game, and flashed some real talent with great saves on Miller and Nash.

Looking forward to watching him progress in Providence.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Yikes he let in a goal shot from behind the net and was clean beat on others and clearly had lost his composure in the 3rd period positioning was very bad. 2 goals were awful and his fault the pass across the crease doesn't get through 99/100 times that one was him as well just like the short side goal scored from behind the net.

Now he had an excellent first half of the game and looked totally legit. But people are really clutching at straws in this thread with the praise.

Unlike Subban who is toast in our organization at least this kid is a very promising goalie prospect even if this current first trip up to Boston doesn't go that well.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Between him and Subban, is it just me are do they both play too deep in their nets? This seems like a coaching issue, not a skill problem. Look, I'm not saying that Zane or Malcom are the answers or even will produce in the NHL, but this seems somewhat correctible. Better positioning = less movement = more saves, something like this?

One of them goals I thought he was to far out of his net to tell you the truth.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Yikes he let in a goal shot from behind the net and was clean beat on others and clearly had lost his composure in the 3rd period positioning was very bad. 2 goals were awful and his fault the pass across the crease doesn't get through 99/100 times that one was him as well just like the short side goal scored from behind the net.

Now he had an excellent first half of the game and looked totally legit. But people are really clutching at straws in this thread with the praise.

Unlike Subban who is toast in our organization at least this kid is a very promising goalie prospect even if this current first trip up to Boston doesn't go that well.

Goalie 1

AHL: 31 games, 14-8, 2.67 GAA, .898 SP
NHL: 2 games, 0-1, 4.72 GAA, .854 SP

Goalie 2

AHL: 95 games, 45-31, 2.40 GAA, .918 SP
NHL: 2 games, 0-2, 5.81 GAA, .727 SP

To write either one off at this point and declare one or the other toast is pretty ****ing ********. Both have dropped the ball so far in the NHL, but it's two games into their NHL career.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Goalie 1

AHL: 31 games, 14-8, 2.67 GAA, .898 SP
NHL: 2 games, 0-1, 4.72 GAA, .854 SP

Goalie 2

AHL: 95 games, 45-31, 2.40 GAA, .918 SP
NHL: 2 games, 0-2, 5.81 GAA, .727 SP

To write either one off at this point and declare one or the other toast is pretty ****ing ********. Both have dropped the ball so far in the NHL, but it's two games into their NHL career.

Malcolms GAA in Providence is 4.50 this year. He had 3 prior seasons where he missed significant time in each. He might turn it around with a change of scenery but hes likely headed for the AHL. Just in a bad place goalies never want to go to. Right now.

McIntyre's GAA down there this year is under 1.

Im not comfortable starting McIntyre against Detroit but to be honest I hope he gets another start in the next week or so could see him bouncing back and playing well. Just can't see Subban having a good game against NHL shots.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
I think he might be pretty good with a bit more seasoning unlike Subban who looks like a bust.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
In the two games I've seen, I thought he looked promising.

Let's not forget the Rangers were Top 7 in goals for last season and currently leading the league so far. They have great depth scoring. I don't blame him for some goals, but with how the team was playing in front of him, he's hardly my focal point. I see a brighter future in him than Subban.

DaStinger

Permanent Interim
Feb 14, 2007
NB, Canada
He was outstanding up until the team completely broke down. Then he was like the lone goalie in shooting practice, he did what he could.

Last edited:

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
He was outstanding up until the team completely broke down. Then he was like the lone goalie in shooting practice, he did what he could.

Goalies need go be accountable also... bc it can change the momentum of the game.... that 2nd goal behind the net was badly played ... sukked the life out of the team

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Goalies need go be accountable also... bc it can change the momentum of the game.... that 2nd goal behind the net was badly played ... sukked the life out of the team

No it didn't. They didn't step up when they needed to. When you have a rookie goalie, you play hard and protect him. That game was not in McIntyre. He did what he could and actually played ok. The team should look in the mirror. Lots of 3rd liners.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad