Zambonis & Olympia tires

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
This weekend, I got my new snow tires installed, and the salesman selling them asked me which brand I preferred. I told him if he knew the brand that was used on the ice cleaning vehicles at the arenas in OHL rinks, I'd go for that type of tire. My reasoning was that I've often seen them perform on the ice, with good traction, and no skidding, so why wouldn't they perform as well on the roads. He didn't know which tires are used on those units. I'm wondering if any of you know ?

If it's normal tire with a specific brand name, maybe they should consider making a TV commercial featuring their unique abilities on ice. Maybe Dave Branch could even milk some sponsorship bucks from them...." Official Traction Tire of the OHL" or "When you expect superior traction and stopping ability on ice, get Brand OHL"

What do you think ? Is this a marketing opportunity, or are these tires unique to those machines, and not available for sale to the general public ?

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
This weekend, I got my new snow tires installed, and the salesman selling them asked me which brand I preferred. I told him if he knew the brand that was used on the ice cleaning vehicles at the arenas in OHL rinks, I'd go for that type of tire. My reasoning was that I've often seen them perform on the ice, with good traction, and no skidding, so why wouldn't they perform as well on the roads. He didn't know which tires are used on those units. I'm wondering if any of you know ?

If it's normal tire with a specific brand name, maybe they should consider making a TV commercial featuring their unique abilities on ice. Maybe Dave Branch could even milk some sponsorship bucks from them...." Official Traction Tire of the OHL" or "When you expect superior traction and stopping ability on ice, get Brand OHL"

What do you think ? Is this a marketing opportunity, or are these tires unique to those machines, and not available for sale to the general public ?
Don't know the brand name but do know they are only made for Zamboni's. Also keep in mind the Zamboni's are a low gear 4 wheel drive vehicle so not really a good comparison to how a car handles on ice.

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
Don't know the brand name but do know they are only made for Zamboni's. Also keep in mind the Zamboni's are a low gear 4 wheel drive vehicle so not really a good comparison to how a car handles on ice.

Hey Ohloutsider, thanks for the reply. I thought that those tires may have been specific to ice clearing machines, but wasn't sure. I settled on a set of Blizacks. Whoever makes those tires could probably cash in handsomely, just for the fact that they were chosen to supply that specific type of tire.

Rubbers29

Jan 9, 2012
Zamboni’s and Olympia’s run Hankook Dynapro MT’s (readily available for any pickup truck) with the outside lugs studded with carbide tipped steel studs. As a general rule, MT tires are awful on ice as the chunky tread blocks act like hockey pucks and slide all over but are chosen for the resurfacers because they can handle the weight and they are studdable which give them all the traction they need on the ice. Since studding is banned in Ontario (they destroy roads and windshields) whoever suggested the blizzaks to you did you a favour. The siping in the tread actually sticks to the ice better under turning and braking at high speeds than the studs do. They will give up a little in the deep snow to the traditional chunky snow tire for trying to accelerate but it is way more important in a snow storm to be able to stop and turn. (Sorry if I rambled on too much)

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
Zamboni’s and Olympia’s run Hankook Dynapro MT’s (readily available for any pickup truck) with the outside lugs studded with carbide tipped steel studs. As a general rule, MT tires are awful on ice as the chunky tread blocks act like hockey pucks and slide all over but are chosen for the resurfacers because they can handle the weight and they are studdable which give them all the traction they need on the ice. Since studding is banned in Ontario (they destroy roads and windshields) whoever suggested the blizzaks to you did you a favour. The siping in the tread actually sticks to the ice better under turning and braking at high speeds than the studs do. They will give up a little in the deep snow to the traditional chunky snow tire for trying to accelerate but it is way more important in a snow storm to be able to stop and turn. (Sorry if I rambled on too much)

Thanks for the information, Rubbers 29. You sound like a very knowledgeable guy regarding this subject. After experiencing the season's forst snowfall, I can really now appreciate getting those Blizzaks. They gave a really good traction & stopping on ice. Now I only have to worry about the ones trying to accelerate and stop on near-bald all-season tires. They were quite noticeable sliding into curbs or the ditches.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad