Zaitsev doesn't look bad

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Don't wanna jinx anybody, but Zaitsev looks exactly as he did at WHC and WCH, i.e. the best defenseman on his team.

Of course, it's just 8 games, but he isn't a kid and plays the way he usually plays. He isn't flashy, but reliable in his own end and has the most points out of all Toronto defensemen.

Considering he shoots right, and if he keeps playing this way, he's going to command a good salary rise the next postseason.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Really like his play, but he seems tentative on using his offense at the moment.

Impresses me just how good he's been compared to Rielly who we all want to take the next step but hasn't quite yet

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
zaitsev and gards have been the best imo. Rielly has been up and down im sure he will settle down and be a rock in his own end. carrick has been meh.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Carrick has been bad defensively. Zaitsev is definitely the leafs best dman this season.

The underlying numbers tell a completely different story. Carrick's advanced stats are ridiculously good and Zaitsev gives up as many high danger scoring chances as Hunwick.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
The underlying numbers tell a completely different story. Carrick's advanced stats are ridiculously good and Zaitsev gives up as many high danger scoring chances as Hunwick.

If thats true, its just proof the advanced stats aren't worth a damn. Its very clear that Zaitsev has been the best Leafs defenseman so far. Then Rielly, then Gardiner.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco

Gee, I wonder if that might have something to do with the fact he was paired with Hunwick for 6 games.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Zaitsev makes big mistakes too but overall he is the best D on the leafs. Light years better than rielly.

He is not light years better than Rielly. If Zaitsev were on another team I wouldn't even consider dealing Rielly for him.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
He indeed hasn't looked bad. His underlying numbers aren't great, but as stated before that could just be a result of playing with Hunwick (I haven't checked his WOWYs, so can't state for sure). He wasn't playing with Hunwick today and they were good, fwiw.

One thing I'd like him to improve is his zone exits. He seems a bit Polakish at times since he dumps the puck out of the zone a lot of times. I'd like to see him make some more controlled zone exits. He definitely has the ability to excel at that and I've seen him do it well in his non-Leaf games. He's also a very good passer, so far from what I've seen.

Anyway, Zaitsev isn't our best d-man. Our best defenceman is Jake Gardiner.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
In the one game we played them i thought he was their best Dman. Nothing spectacular, just good.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Really like his play, but he seems tentative on using his offense at the moment.

Impresses me just how good he's been compared to Rielly who we all want to take the next step but hasn't quite yet

Zaytsev is 25.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Nikita Zaitsev has been the best defenceman on the Maple Leafs so far.

He's a solid #2 or #3 defenceman on most teams.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
whoa ease up there. Zaitsev is a good dman but hes not even close to Light Years better than Reilly.

Rielly is way flashier, that's why people think, he's great. It's like Subban vs Weber. The former is a highlight reel machine, and the latter is just more reliable and effective.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Don't wanna jinx anybody, but Zaitsev looks exactly as he did at WHC and WCH, i.e. the best defenseman on his team.

Of course, it's just 8 games, but he isn't a kid and plays the way he usually plays. He isn't flashy, but reliable in his own end and has the most points out of all Toronto defensemen.

Considering he shoots right, and if he keeps playing this way, he's going to command a good salary rise the next postseason.

Carrick has been the best defenseman on the Leafs this season.

zaitsev and gards have been the best imo. Rielly has been up and down im sure he will settle down and be a rock in his own end. carrick has been meh.

If thats true, its just proof the advanced stats aren't worth a damn. Its very clear that Zaitsev has been the best Leafs defenseman so far. Then Rielly, then Gardiner.

He indeed hasn't looked bad. His underlying numbers aren't great, but as stated before that could just be a result of playing with Hunwick (I haven't checked his WOWYs, so can't state for sure). He wasn't playing with Hunwick today and they were good, fwiw.

One thing I'd like him to improve is his zone exits. He seems a bit Polakish at times since he dumps the puck out of the zone a lot of times. I'd like to see him make some more controlled zone exits. He definitely has the ability to excel at that and I've seen him do it well in his non-Leaf games. He's also a very good passer, so far from what I've seen.

Anyway, Zaitsev isn't our best d-man. Our best defenceman is Jake Gardiner.

Nikita Zaitsev has been the best defenceman on the Maple Leafs so far.

He's a solid #2 or #3 defenceman on most teams.

Lots of different opinions on who has been the Leafs best D.....yet Rielly was not mentioned. I thought he was going to have a breakout year?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Lots of different opinions on who has been the Leafs best D.....yet Rielly was not mentioned. I thought he was going to have a breakout year?

ya majority of Leaf fans it seems feel Rielly hasn't been their best dman. Hes been good but definitely not their top guy

Leafsrock95

Oct 4, 2014
Lol at advanced stat nerds put down your calculator and watch the games.

In what world has carrick or gardiner been our best dman. Carrick dont need to explain but gardiner is lost in the d zone and often gets caught wandering around just watching the puck.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Zaitsev being the best RHD in leafs was given this year. The roster is weak.

Surprises nobody, but would he be the 1RHD in CHI/Preds?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad