News Article: Zadorov Suspended for Two Games

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Giving players suspensions for attempting clean hits but slightly missing discourages the throwing of clean hits in the future. It sucks.

Agreed. I get trying to take dangerous hits out of the game or even hits that are real risky to make. But even in the league’s reasoning they are saying Big Z mistimed the hit and missed the core as opposed to say Steven’s hit on Lindros where the hit was perfectly timed shoulder to head.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
But the photos show what I am describing.
No they don't. You're seeing what you want to see. Hit was awkward more than anything and ends up with Raymond head getting buried in Zadorov's chest. Some head to head contact and, while I think it is a stretch, I could see refs giving a 5 for being clumsy and endangering another player. Think Raymond made a meal of it and that was crucial in decision. Raymond pops back up rather than looking like he'd been with a tire iron and likely Zadorov gets a two for interference.

Suspension policy in the NHL is totally arbitrary and poorly executed.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Giving players suspensions for attempting clean hits but slightly missing discourages the throwing of clean hits in the future. It sucks.

I get it, but it's a slippery slope.

If that was no repercussion for hits that appear legitimately accidental, players could consistently throw these borderline hits, injure players, and protect themselves behind the accident card. Players can throw clean hits, they just have to be better at it.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas

If that was no repercussion for hits that appear legitimately accidental, players could consistently throw these borderline hits, injure players, and protect themselves behind the accident card. Players can throw clean hits, they just have to be better at it.
He got 5 and a game for it...that's not nothing. The game is so fast and line is so fine that players can't be intentionally unintentional and think they're going to get away with something. You commit to a hit and within a fraction of a second what was meant as a clean hit turns into a headshot or a hit from behind...and in some cases the victim of the hit is the biggest culprit of why it turned into something more dangerous, but that rarely gets taken into account. I'm a big fan of huge, clean open ice hitting in hockey, but if they are going to suspend players for any type of head contact, they might as well take full contact out of the game. If safety were truly the #1 goal, there would be no hitting or fighting in hockey.

Reactions: andora

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

You can't really 'try' to throw borderline hits unless you're pretty obvious. This is kind of an armchair fan invention.

Even in a beer league game the process of a) identify target b) drop shoulder c) try to get a chunk of the opponent takes place in like 2/10 of a second. It's so fast. If you get your angles very slightly wrong or if the target moves unexpectedly : bad hit.

The main 'problem' hits to me are when the player comes from the blind side and the puck carrier has no way to see them ... and again, these are usually pretty obvious.

Zadorov tried throwing a clean north-south hit like he does all the time and (very very slightly) missed.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Ok I didnt read all of this but

1. Zadorov was trying to make a hockey play, and made head to head contact. Thought 2 games was slightly harsh, but I can live with it.

2. Morgan Reilly deserves at least 5. Having a hissy fit over how some one scores an empty net goal is just asinine and childish. And it was not a hockey play, it was after the fact and he intentionally went head hunting. I know its the leafs so the hockey gods will be gentle, but FFS you can't overreact like that.

And why haven't we hears the decision yet.????

Reactions: MarkMM

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Ok I didnt read all of this but

1. Zadorov was trying to make a hockey play, and made head to head contact. Thought 2 games was slightly harsh, but I can live with it.

2. Morgan Reilly deserves at least 5. Having a hissy fit over how some one scores an empty net goal is just asinine and childish. And it was not a hockey play, it was after the fact and he intentionally went head hunting. I know its the leafs so the hockey gods will be gentle, but FFS you can't overreact like that.

And why haven't we hears the decision yet.????
The hearing is on Tuesday

Reactions: ChilliBilly

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
He got 5 and a game for it...that's not nothing. The game is so fast and line is so fine that players can't be intentionally unintentional and think they're going to get away with something. You commit to a hit and within a fraction of a second what was meant as a clean hit turns into a headshot or a hit from behind...and in some cases the victim of the hit is the biggest culprit of why it turned into something more dangerous, but that rarely gets taken into account. I'm a big fan of huge, clean open ice hitting in hockey, but if they are going to suspend players for any type of head contact, they might as well take full contact out of the game. If safety were truly the #1 goal, there would be no hitting or fighting in hockey.
Maybe they should take it out of the game....not part of women's hockey and skill is allowed to shine,

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
All I can say is Wow!. Sportsnet's Iain McIntyre has posted a fairly glowing article on Zadorov's contributions to the Canucks after his dominant performance against the Wings. His piece also included reference to the guy's presence in the dressing-room and how much his team-mates appreciate him.

But his article seems to have struck a raw nerve with Calgary Flames fans, judging from the 'comments section', even going so far to suggest that he's a cancer in the room, and will outlive his usefulness like he did in Buffalo, Colorado and in Cowtown.

Like I said, wow! Flames supporters seem seriously pissed with this guy.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Aaron Rome got suspended for the balance of the remaining series final for attempting to throw a legit clean hit that was less than a second late

Reactions: MS

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
i don't think it's beneficial to slow these hits down to microseconds - it doesn't add or detract anything relevant to supplemental discipline imo.

if the NHL could just come out and say - this is in the category of 'reckless hit causing head contact' - DONE - you have a new category that makes it so much easier to explain to people.
Its also based on the idea that video doesn’t lie.

Its pretty much irrefutable that our eyes and brains get tricked by optical illusions, filling in information and making subconscious assumptions.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Its also based on the idea that video doesn’t lie.

Its pretty much irrefutable that our eyes and brains get tricked by optical illusions, filling in information and making subconscious assumptions.
Video concerto Twisted story when you slow it down to microfame by microframe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad